dizital

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Hello all,

I'm currently researching home media server to build. Its mainly going to store movies and music that I want to stream. The media server will be located in my computer room that will connect to a switch so I would be able to stream the data to the other computers. My confusion begins with the tv's, I have multiple tv's, one in the bedroom and one in the living room that I want to stream to.

I have a xbox360 located in the living room, so I'll figure that it would just feed through that has an extender from what I read. and I would just need a media extender for the bedroom if I read everything correct that is.

My main question is would I just need the media server with a high end graphics card and sound card, or would I need that to stream to a HTPC that has a high end graphics card and sound card to feed into the tv or would the xbox360 handle that? I have blue-ray movies so I want to get the best video/audio I can.

dizital

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
I just thought of something, what if i just built a htpc and a nas for backup and storage, but would that affect the quality of the video/audio that would be streamed to the devices?

dizital

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
or do I just need to build a HTPC and a media server, and just put the high end graphics and audio in the htpc since it should be the decoding and streaming to the tv?