Mediagate MG-350HD: Multi-talented but multi-buggy

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

this is a neat device with some flaws.
the GUI is slow, but is much better if you upgrade to the latest firmware. A lot of GUI probs are fixed.

One (big) flaw remains : i found out that some movies dont play well, they have choppy playback. About 1 out of 10 movies fails to play properly, which is way to high for my liking. An xbox1 will play everything just fine.

I emailed freecom about it: they say new (and better) software that deals with the codecs wont be in any future firmware. The decoding is in the hardware, so the 'flaw' will never be fixed.
I stick with my xbox1 :)

brianbyus

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Good article but but needs updating since there's been many firmware releases that have fixed these problems. Since this came out the MG-450HD (SATA hard drive support) and the MG-800HD (SATA with wireless N) have also been released. Just out recently is the newest type of Mediagate, the MG-M2TV which does not have a hard drive inside much like the similiar Western Digital WD TV Media Player. From what I hear it’s very mature and been in development for a long time. Will play many more files compared to others like the WD TV and even has RealVideo 10 RMVB support for those who like to play asian videos. Looks to be in stock and on sale now at xpcgear.com : http://www.xpcgear.com/mediagate-mg-m2tv-korean-rmvb-player-hdmi.html for just $109.99

Status
Not open for further replies.