Meet Blekko, the New Internet Search Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Though this concept seems interesting and I will try it, the "social element" of the search engine seems too complex. Honestly, though a small group of people may contribute to the engine's results like the Wikipedia example from the article, I can't help but feel that this group of contributors will struggle to cover the whole web. Also, when I search the web, i just want to search the web, not share my search results. Honestly, Google works for me. Simple, decently precise, and mind exceedingly simple. Maybe this new search engine is not meant for me. Plus, I like the dark alleys of the internet ;)

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Good to see new stuff coming into play that offers something new to the table and is not just a carbon copy of the competition.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
"Most people don't edit Wikipedia, yet we have a vast encyclopedia which long ago dwarfed the closed Britannica," he said. "But a small fraction of the Web audience that does get involved can help make the search experience better for everyone else."

Yes I can just see lots of people queuing up to make you money. Or not.

And honestly no offence but Blekko is the name you or anyone else could have come up with. Dead within a year for sure, try harder next time.

maddocc

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
[citation][nom]eyefinity[/nom]Yes I can just see lots of people queuing up to make you money. Or not.And honestly no offence but Blekko is the shittiest name you or anyone else could have come up with. Dead within a year for sure, try harder next time.[/citation]

And Google was not weird when u first head of it?

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Microsoft's Bing and Yahoo! have only succeeded in coming close to dethroning the search engine giant
Not even close. They've only managed to dethrone each other (more like pushing each other off of Google's footstool).

Blekko seems like what OpenDNS is trying to do with DNS lookups. In both cases trying to keep intentional mis-tagging under control is the hard part.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Interesting to see a possible new contender out there. Name is retarded. Hopefully it pans out and finally gives Google some competition for once. I see no reason to change search engines though.

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
What I want to see is better security and PRIVACY. I don't want a large corp. sniffing my personal data and exploiting it to every Tom, Dick, and Harry online.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
I bet you everything that google will steal their slash tags idea and make it better... if their site traffic started to build up and show any sort of opposition towards google's secret plan towards world domination.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
[citation][nom]7amood[/nom]I bet you everything that google will steal their slash tags idea and make it better... if their site traffic started to build up and show any sort of opposition towards google's secret plan towards world domination.[/citation]

Yap, just use any search engine for the word "world", the first search result will be www.google.com

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]FloKid[/nom]Yap, just use any search engine for the word "world", the first search result will be www.google.com[/citation]
You forgot Blizzard's world domination plan: World of Warcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.