Meet DirecTV Now, AT&T's 100-Channel Streaming Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpmajor

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
Ya sounds nice but if you live in a city with a franchise with just one internet company, CableOne which has a low cap, then this becomes difficult. At least until we get better compression ratios.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
this is through your internet connection and will not require a cable box like the satellite based directv service does. any of the streaming boxes will work fine, such as roku, apple tv and so on.

what i'm waiting to see is the channel lists for the various packages. currently use PS vue service and if they can do better i'll switch in a heartbeat.

The mention of Rokus, AppleTV etc obviously make this a TV-Over-Internet, but the reason whether via dish or DSL matters to me is, my last-mile landline is crap and AT&T is not replacing those wires any time soon, so to get decent broadband speed, it has to be dish, and the last time I asked the dish people they didn't do Internet, hoping this may have changed.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
ok i see what your asking. but as far as i know about this, it comes over the internet. how you get the net access to your streaming box is up to you :)

but obviously a constant connection is important as is not having any data caps. not a good idea for folks dealing with a monopoly data cap situation. they are stuck with cable like the companies want them to be.

Hence the reference to DirecTV (the dish people) is confusing. I thought AT&T may had partnered with the satellite folks...

Always wondered whether carriers purposely market their stuff with confusion. It only serve to push me away.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
at&t owns directv now. which is why they are connected to so much advertising.

i'm wondering if they will try to bundle net aceess, mobile phone and this streaming service. could be an interesting mix if you're in the at&t market.

i use verizon for net access which is the best in my area, but gave up on all the cable companies. we stream with Playstation right now but if this is better we'll switch in a heartbeat. no contracts so no worries about fees for leaving :)

very curious about "early adopter deal" of $35 for 100 channels. sounds real awesome if they channels are decent

Status
Not open for further replies.