Memory Companies Creating Next-Gen Security for Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacatak

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
I have a feeling I'm going to hate this just like I hate HDCP.

SD cards already have the best protection you can get. It's called the "write-protect switch".

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
If Samsung is involved, you can expect Apple to hit them with patent infringement anytime after they release this for sale.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]So we have to buy memory with the Usage Prevention Feature (I meant DRM) built in, paying extra for it?[/citation]

i have to assume it would be subsidized by content creators. it would be sick if they charged use more so we can do less with things of this nature...

that said i dont equate this line
"bringing people more convenient and exciting experiences of HD content"
with drm, convenient for me is drm free, and i go out of my way to get a drm free version of everything i own if its even possible.

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
It is inevitable that solid state memory will one day replace CD, DVD and blue ray disks, and the movie/ record companies will want to protect their content. It is also inevitable that this will be cracked.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Can they force me to buy it? - no;
Can they prevent me from watching anything at all if I don't buy it? - yes, and that could be a blessing maybe, because I don't watch anything of that what is meant to be protected most of the time, but when I do, I want my life hours back;
So, in the end, I will just go back to 9gag.com and to games

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]It is inevitable that solid state memory will one day replace CD, DVD and blue ray disks, and the movie/ record companies will want to protect their content. It is also inevitable that this will be cracked.[/citation]

no, it wont, and not for a long LONG time would it even be close to a viable option.

movie/record companies want profit, pure digital offeres them the most. but lets go to cd/dvd/bluray
the cd, even today, costs less to make enough cds to cover the same amount of space as sd cards or thumb drives.
dvds cover the same amount even cheaper than cds
now bluray... costs about 1.80 single layer and 2.75 dual layer at a 2008 estimate, this includes disc, box and label.

50gb for 2.75, and dvd (18 cents a single layer, bought in bulk of 500 discs) is about 1.90 for the same space...

now a thumb drive of 25gb would cost about 25$ and add another 20 for content cost (new) and a 50 gb would be closer to 70-80$ (+ content cost)

silicon, even when you look at 10nm is 35 cents a gb, and at 5nm would be about 8-9 cents a gb, where even a 2008 dl bluray estimate comes in at .055$ a gb

pre flood 2tb (1.88 usable estimate) drive at 70$ came in at .037$ a gb

flash will never come back as a common form for media distribution...

this is all assuming you were talking about distribution because you mentioned cd bluray and dvd.

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Why are you thinking of flash memory? ROM memory would be a lot cheaper than flash memory if produced in quantity. Already the cost difference to the consumer is negligible between a CD and flash and as solid state memory gets cheaper due to Mores law it won't be long before the DVD will also be threatened. The cost of disk production will not go down any more in fact it will only rise with inflation. It makes sense that the media companies should start to look at solid state memory as a medium of distribution and want to protect their content. Another factor in favor for solid state memory is that it is smaller and more convenient to use so consumers will be prepared to pay a small price premium to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.