Memory Optimize Software

johnbil

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
I was hoping for a software recommendation (hopefully freeware). I'm looking for a program that optimizes my memory. I want it to load at boot up.

FYI, I have a old PC running Win 7. One of the DDR memory slots on my motherboard may be a messed up. It does not reflect the full 4 mb (I have attached some specs below). I plan to update my PC in the near future, but I will continue to use this one as well.

Thanks for your help,
John
=========
Physical Memory:
Total 3327 MB
Used 1419 MB
Free 1908 MB
Utilization 43 %

Swap Space:
Total 6653 MB
Used 1580 MB
Free 5072 MB
Utilization 24 %

Virtual Memory:
Total 9980 MB
Used 3000 MB
Free 6980 MB
Utilization 30 %

Solution
Memory optimizers generally don't work and can actually hurt performance by deleting cached data for browser windows, etc. I wouldn't use one. Windows does a good job of managing available memory.

BadActor

Estimable
Herald
Memory optimizers generally don't work and can actually hurt performance by deleting cached data for browser windows, etc. I wouldn't use one. Windows does a good job of managing available memory.

Solution

johnbil

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
FYI, running a 32 bit system. Also, as I said, I think one of the ram slots has issues. I have 4 mb installed (but it only reflects 3.3 mb). The MB caps out at 4 mb.

USAFRet

Illustrious

With a 32bit OS, showing 3.3GB usable is absolutely normal and expected.

32bit OS can only address ~3.5GB. Take a teeny bit off for the other hardware....poof, 3.3GB RAM.
There is nothing you need to change, except maybe a full reinstall to 64bit OS.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Unfortunately, there's no such thing.

As BadActor pointed out, even those that advertise themselves as such usually do not work. Often all that they do is turn off system services which end up being turned on again as soon as they are needed, which tends to result in a net slowdown.

A full explanation for why your 32-bit version of Windows is unable to address the full 4GiB of installed memory can be found in my tutorial located at the top of the "Memory" forum.