michael diemer

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
I have a set of old B&W bookshelf speakers, and a set of Klipsch Pro Media computer speakers. The subwoofer on the Klipsch is decent, but the little tabletop speakers not so much. I'm wondering if I can merge the two speaker sets. Here's the plan: use the little tabletop speakers to plug into the computer, but rout the speaker wires from the subwoofer to the B&W speakers. Control the volume with the controls on the tabletoppers, which will have no sound themselves as they won't be connected to the subwoofer by speaker wire. But they would still convey the audio info from the computer (they do plug into the woofer with a DIN connector).
Now, the tabletop speakers, and their woofer mate, are active. But the B&W's are passive. Also, I worry about blowing up the B&W's if I try this. I know this sounds weird, but if it could work I would not have to shell out money for a new set of computer monitors (I compose music on the computer).

I wouldn't do it. You would probably destroy the amp in the sub and possibly the B&W speakers(the little speakers probably are passive, the amp in the sub drives all three and the computer sound amp won't have enough power to power them). Best thing to do is get an amp to drive the B&Ws. What model are the B&Ws?

Happy listening, the Prisoner.

michael diemer

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Thanks for your reply. The speakers are 2001 ZMF. They are great little speakers. I'm currently using them for the radio, but would like to have them as my monitors, as they are better than the M-Audio BX5a's I'm currently using on my computer. Those have decent overall sound, but are weak on bass. That's why I had the thought merging the two speaker sets, as the sub could supply the bass and leave the B&W's free to deal with the other frequencies. The Pro Media's don't have good mid-range, which is very important for someone composing for orchestra. A good set of monitors would run me 400-500 dollars. I could save a lot if I could make the merge work!

michael diemer

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Interesting, I hadn't thought about that. I'll check that site out. Now, I have another question: Could I plug my M-Audio BX5a's into the headphone jack of the receiver I use for my upstairs radio? They are active monitors. I'm trying to find a solution where I don't have left-over components sitting around collecting dust, when I paid 200.00 for them.
thanks again,

mike

Mike, you can do that with the M-Audio's. You just need the right cable. I'm not sure if your receiver headphone jack is 1/4" or 1/8" but a simple 1/4" stereo cable male out to 1/4" male in for the M-Audio's will be fine if that is the case. You even use RCA plugs(using like a tape out/aux out to 1/4" to your M-Audio's.

Or RCA out to XLR

michael diemer

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Thanks for that. The only bummer of course is both speakers have to be plugged in. But at least I know it's an option.

michael diemer

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
I'm now leaning toward keeping the B&W's where they are, they just sound great on that system. So, how can I use my M-audio BX5a's with a sub? Keeping in mind they are active. And I don't need a house-throbbing bass, just a bit more than the M-audio's. M-audio makes a great sub to go with them, but it's 400.00. and probably way more bass than I need. I'm just trying to mix my classically-oriented music better. not doing heavy metal or anything.

Thanks again, Mike

michael diemer

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

I see. So you're saying I need to spend some bucks to get the setup I need? Like the M-audio sub, for example?