Metro Version of IE 10 Will Be "Plugin Free"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I guess their idea was copying Apple's closed systems they force on users. They even want to be "metro", which, if successful, will eventually lead to the next interface being called "ghey", once again to appeal to the Apple crowd...

Android should enjoy a massive boost because of it.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Seriously, every single comment is people moaning about MS doing this, if they decided to do nothing at all and simply keep IE9 with it myriad plugins you would be up in arms.They just can't please you people.[/citation]

The problem is grouping the two sides together. In reality 'people' are two separate groups that always like to post rants about MS. When we surf through web comments it seems like a two headed monster tearing at your man parts but really it's two individual nutjobs pulling in opposing directions and your genitalia was already toast.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]shajklhdcfasjkfhasklI hate that everyone thinks we need to get rid of all plug-ins... While HTML 5 and JavaScript MAY be able to do some of the same things flash does... the bottom line is it can't do everything.The YouTube player is a perfect example... why do you think YouTube hasn't switched over to using HTML 5 for their videos?! It wouldn't be hard... It's because HTML 5 offers no form of protection for the content. If YouTube switched to HTML5 for video playback then all you would have to do is right click > view source > find the video tag > now you know the URL to the video and can download it. Can't do the same with flash... (although there are much harder ways...)Microsoft... stop following Apple.[/citation]

There are lots of programs to download youtube videos. You copy the link, paste it in the program, and hit download.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]So what is the big diff between this and what they arleady have with a no add-on version already installed in Windows....[/citation]
Actually you hit the nail on the head. The current plugin-free option for launching IE is great for slower laptops when you're in a hurry and for saving battery life on the go. There really is no difference at all, although here I believe they are talking about having a separate executable entirely (which would be more secure) rather than the current "switch activated" single excutable. And, in the final release there could possibly be some UI changes to help with the touch screen navigation and what not.

These people are just moaning cuz they think it's gunna bring their entire world crashing down on them, even though they all like to brag about how they use a browser from a company who makes over 95% of it's profit from collecting, searching, locating, and delivering information. BUT, the same people have trust issues with MS. I think they are just so confused in general they just instinctually lash out on whatever might actually make some sense. Like some crazy twisted defense mechanism.

kanaida

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]tgreader[/nom]Try Fanboy's IE 9 adblock and tracking protection lists. Works exactly as adblock on ffox.[/citation]

lol... you can rip off protected content. If you can see it, see it, or touch it, you can steal it. Just the fact that it can play on your computer means it's already decoded somewhere in memory. Currently it's not really possible to fully protect content. All it takes is a little patience, perhaphs a nice little http proxy, wiresark... lots of possiblities here. But mostly just web browser debugging tools built in or as plugins.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I read this but didn't have the opportunity to check before I removed Windows 8 from my laptop. However, this might explain why IE10 Metro was running fast - even though regular IE10 was very fast too.

Seikent

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]This give you more choice, where exactly did you miss the bit where it said it also has full install with plugins as well as a non-plugin Metro version.With IE9 you get one version only that drains all the life from your tablet, this gives you the option to choose.Of course, there is no description above if you will be able to switch between the 2 versions on the same system the same way you can switch beween Metro GUI and ordinary desktop, because that would be just perfect, if you want to play online flash games switch to the full version and when you just want to post on a forum you flick back to the slim version.Can we have that please Microsoft, Kthxbye[/citation]

The ARM version only has Metro enabled applications, so you have no choice (I guess you can download other browsers).

Status
Not open for further replies.