Microphone doesn't work (Windows 8)

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Hi.

My Windows 8 laptop has a mic built in, which always worked fine. I also have a mic I can plug in which always automatically worked when plugged in.

However, a few days ago I plugged it in and nothing happened. It still works on my desktop. I haven't changed any settings.

I bought a headset. This works fine on my desktop, but not on my laptop. I have sound through the headphones, but the mic isn't working.

When I look at the audio devices it doesn't show, although I'm not sure it used to show the other mic either. I've clicked to unhide other devices, still doesn't show. I tried going to add a device but it doesn't find anything.

I tried troubleshooting, but it finds no issues.

For some reason the built in mic did stop working but that is now working again. I didn't change anything. However, the headset mic still isn't doing anything.

What can I do to get the headset mic working?

Thanks.

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Do you have a Realtek HD Audio Manager? If so, you may need to disconnect any audio devices and reconnect them one by one with that application open. For each one, identify exactly what you're plugging in. It should set it up properly for you.

My theory is that your devices were miscategorized and maybe aren't showing up as something you recognize. By reconnecting and identifying each device through Realtek, or whichever controller you have, software, you can recategorize them as their proper devices.

If not, you may not have your drivers installed properly. Or, something happened in the past couple days that offset your drivers or something.

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Will have to double check, but I'm sure it is that, yeah.

I don't have any external audio devices connected. Only things are the built in speakers and built in mic. I tried disabling the built in mic. Didn't want to try removing it in any way in case I couldn't get it back lol.

I checked the drivers. Working and up to date.

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
lol.

It's so annoying. Works on my old laptop, but that doesn't charge properly (and it crashes sometimes) and it works on my desktop but that's not in a place where I can use the headset and I can't change that.

I want the headset for gaming. Got a device that records games so could just use it through that, but it's one file for video and all audio and the audio from the headset is stupidly quiet. Don't think I can change that.

So only option left is my laptop and that won't work. Typical lol.

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Found the answer. In case anyone else has the same issues and has an Asus laptop:

https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1001623/

There are two different connection types. Three-conductor and four-conductor. The Asus laptop has an audio combo jack and that doesn't work with external (headset) mics unless the jack is a four-conductor connection.