Microphone Help Please!!

DragonSlayer7832

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015
So i got this new microphone for my birthday from my younger cousin. I had an idea to use it as my main mic and stream with it if i can. This is the mic btw https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHMUQ2M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Anyway i went on the internet and did my research and found out that most people recommended an audio interface. This one being those popular https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UM2-BEHRINGER-U-PHORIA/dp/B00EK1OTZC/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1526712602&sr=1-3&keywords=audio+interface. My question is will this help my situation of my mic having too much static and background noise. Also how will this help make my audio cleaner.
Thanks

PS. I connect my mic to my computer via a xlr to 3.5mm cable provided with the set.

Solution
It depends on the plug-in. And my fault for overlooking the CPU requirements. I rarely worry about that for my own computer anymore.

There are plenty of free VST plugins out there. Friend of mine used it to run a condensor on a FX 4300 CPU. Didn't complain about any problems. I use my VST for MIDI soundfonts with my i7 6700k. A lot of people turn away from it because it's poorly optimized than stand alone solutions.

I wanted you to give it a try in hopes you could get some filters to play around with your audio and learn some things about the audio world.

Sadly the reason your mic is misbehaving could be a number of things. The mic itself, interference from the computer, bad cable. But what I think the problem is is the gain of...

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Check out your motherboards settings for audio. Most will allow you to apply echo cancellation or noise suppression. Just right click the speaker at the bottom and click "Recording Devices". From there you can test settings for the mic, just right click the mic and click properties.

Additionally you can play around with studio grade equipment for free by using VST plugins. Not real equipment, just their functions are emulated in a host environment. A popular program is VSTHost. VST is short for Virtual Studio Technology. Allows for effects to be applied like voice changes and noise reduction via software.

DragonSlayer7832

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015

I have tried the first solution and the only function that i can do is microphone boost. The only problem with that is that the higher I go the "grainier" the audio got. As for the second option will it take a lot of cpu power? I have been hearing a lot of negativity towards using those programs

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
It depends on the plug-in. And my fault for overlooking the CPU requirements. I rarely worry about that for my own computer anymore.

There are plenty of free VST plugins out there. Friend of mine used it to run a condensor on a FX 4300 CPU. Didn't complain about any problems. I use my VST for MIDI soundfonts with my i7 6700k. A lot of people turn away from it because it's poorly optimized than stand alone solutions.

I wanted you to give it a try in hopes you could get some filters to play around with your audio and learn some things about the audio world.

Sadly the reason your mic is misbehaving could be a number of things. The mic itself, interference from the computer, bad cable. But what I think the problem is is the gain of the mic is too high. Some mother boards will let you change this. Microphone Boost works the same way by increasing the sensitivity of the mic. What you need to do is tone it down, and then increase the output volume.

That USB input DAC might do the trick, but if its the quality of the microphone that's at fault then that DAC won't do much good.

Solution