Microphone, messed up sources

Ebolacarrier

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
My microphone is part of a headset, it has been confirmed to work on an other computer. However, I m having some issues in my current system. I m using it on an onboard sound card to which I reinstalled the latest driver(realtek HD Audio) in hopes of fixing the problem. The mic receives nothing from outside sources(such as me) while appears operational and in fact it records stuff going on in the pc, such as a song playing on media player. It's like the input has somehow been messed with the output...

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I've heard of this happening, but forgot what setting caused it; I think there is a setting somewhere that tells the mic to record exactly what the PC is outputting...

Check both the Windows Control Panel and the Realtek Audio Manager. You also might want to turn monitering on for the mic (via Windows Control Panel) so you can hear exactly what the mic itself is picking up. It might just be that the output, and not the input, is messed up...

Ebolacarrier

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Could be, I did the monitoring thing while muting-unmuting stuff and generally experimenting and as I said the mic pics up the output, whether plugged or not...Any possibilities to be a hardware issue??

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
It seems like the mic is set to output whatever the PC is playing back then; i remember seeing something exactly like this a month or two ago, but forget how it was resolved...I know theres a setting, i just forget what it is...

Do you have seperate mic in/line in inputs, or are they a combined jack? It might be the jack is incorrectly configued as a line input...although I still fail to see how that would get us to you're problem...

Ebolacarrier

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I found nothing on net, just another fellow with that problem exactly...Screw it, I ll throw a format when I have time, hopefully it ll fix it. Thanks...

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Come on people, someone else has to have something...

...The only thing I have left is the wrong audio source being selected as the default input. I really have nothing left after that...

Sorry I can't be more help

Patramix

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
sounds like your PC isnt using you mic

(assuming your using xp)

open up the recording control window, and make shure that Microphone is selected, then under advanced hit the 20db mic bost if needed.

by default XP will use "what you hear" as default causing you to hear back everything you pc is putting out.

same goes for vista or windows 7