Microsoft: Apple's iPad Is Killing Netbook Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Android -based tablets are just starting to emerge. The few ones that came early on were doomed to failure by underpowered specs, not to mention they came with outdated versions of the OS.
When 2.2 and above tablets are coming out, that's when the platform will prove what is worth.
Now, would be like stating that Win98 tablets are not hot (if there was such a thing).
The initial boost in Android-based sales, even if modest, showed that people were interested in that option. Subsequent drop in sales showed that these people were/are expecting updated hardware and updated software, not just a "me too" device.
Now, if Microsoft comes out with a lightweight version that does not bog down a tablet, then will have some weight to pull on this market. iOS proved already to be easy to beat to the punch, with all the limitations that come with it.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
and this is Apple's fault becauuuuuse?????

MS, Intel, Google, HP, and SOOOOOO many others had the chance to go up against iPad but the delay after delay after delay of the tablets made iPad the only portable tablet computing device out so far...

if the competitions got their heads out of their ass, put some money and efforts into development, and brought out their product, then this wouldn't happen....

STILL waiting for my Archos 101 tablet!!!!!

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Who cares if people want to waste their money on a toy that doesn't do anything more than an IPod touch? I personally love to buy electronics that are not popular, cheaper, fit my tastes and pack technology that will blow away any other competing product. I'm glad Apple has become the popular majority that will just make my buying choices just that much better :) Go Apple!

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
It seems like people are more just after the tablet form factor instead of the netbook form factor. If windows can offer the same windows experience on a tablet as they do on a laptop or a desk top (ie accessible file system and ability to install programs as opposed to mobile apps) they may be able to cash in on the tablet craze.

G

If you go back to 2008 and 2009, you'll find numerous reports and analyst criticisms that Apple's lack of a product in the "hot" netbook market would result in lower sales of their products. It seemed every other week, some analyst or comment board poster was pointing out the fact that Apple desperately needed a netbook competitor to remain relevant.

My, my how things have changed. Now analysts are telling Apple they need a cheaper tablet with 7" screens to remain competitive or else...

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
netbooks are underrated as a working tool. As a physics undergrad, i use my HP Mini 311 ION netbook loaded with 7 pro, to do assignments that consistently require the use of these softwares at the same time:

-Matlab
-LabView
-OpenOfffice.org
-IgorPro
-Running Firefox and Chrome together...

while i have full windows 7 aero.

take away my netbook, i wont have a lightweight tool to do my work at a cost of 420 CND. My life depends on this netbook.

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
People say..."Oh this..." or "Oh that..." but the reality is if there is a market for something..it is still relevant people. I do not want an overpriced iPad, I want a computational device that allows me to do anything with a GUI based interface without limitations...

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I think the reason why tablets get a bad rap here despite these things shifting by the bucket load out there in the real world (the Archos 101 ran out of stock on day one here in Hong Kong, the iPad wasn't in stock for the first 3 months, and iPad knock-offs are everywhere), is that the readers here at Tomshardware are an elitist group. We want our flash ability, keyboard, the ability to run a decent set of software, processor power, USB & HDMI ports and full functioning OS compatability, but out there are millions upon millions of people who only consume content. E-books, news, websites, facebook, skype, youtube. They listen to music, they watch videos, they play games whilst they while away the time on the bus or in the doctors waiting room. They don't write programs, they don't take their business with them on the road and they don't write essays or dissertations. And believe it or not that is why underpowered tablets are going to shift, more and more and more until eventually some of these people start saying to themselves; well hang on a minute – why do I even need a full powered desktop at home?
Microsoft should be afraid!

G

Exactly how much content creation are you doing on a netbook anyway?

Doom3klr

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
The Ipad is crap. The net books out there like this acer i picked for half the price of a ipad blows the ipad away in every aspect Hdmi Ati 4220 dedicated with 338 megs of ram card reader slots 10.1 inch and lighter and smaller more prtable. The Ipad is for people who dont know squat about Pc hardware or Netbooks and there internals.

uruquiora

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
there's one thing to admit, no competitor has come with a better than the Ipad so far...
for basic use such as mails and internet browsing, it rocks imo...

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
iPads are crap and tablets are crap. I have a suggestion, invest a LITTLE more money and get yourself a damn notebook that's 14-16". Costs anywhere from 350-$650, and you can do EVERYTHING on it. Tablets are overpriced and stupid. If you have little money, go for an iPod Touch, if you have a decent amount of money, get a netbook. There is no "in between" cause you're paying 100 less for something that can only do a FRACTION of what a netbook can do. Im sick of people wasting money.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Yet another propaganda topic. (remember these news title "iPhone, Android sucks", you'd never find it other way round "Android, iPhone sucks" due to "mysterious" reason)

Bought Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3 for my mom in September, for about 235 Euro (50 mail rebate).
Didn't even consider tablets, AS THERE ARE NONE being sold for acceptable price at the moment.
So WTF are those "95%" of Jopple share and what is cannibalizing what please?

As far as iPad goes, even if it would sell for 200-300 Euro (which it never would) I still wouldn't consider it, because of INSANE restrictions on it (not being able to freely copy MY OWN BLOODY non DRM (!) files to and from device, are you kidding me? Oh, and why NOT A SINGLE ********* site mentions this "restriction" may I ask you)

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Darkv1[/nom]It seems like people are more just after the tablet form factor instead of the netbook form factor.[/citation]
It seems based on what numbers from what reports, may I ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.