Microsoft Bringing Back PC/Xbox Student Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Man students got it good. When I was in college there were no deals.. it was $150 for Windows 95 or 98 and $1500 for a low low end PC with 32 megs of RAM.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Way to push "lets have everyone get an XBOX 360 and make it a whole media center hub" yet only with a 4 GB HD.

I hope the XBOX 720 has a massive hard drive if MS wants to turn it into a HD DVR as well. I'm thinking at least 3-4 TB to start. Then you have to record more advanced game data as well.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
MSFT when will you stop gimping your deals? If its 250 gb then YAY but 4gb for a 10 yrs old console really? LMAO

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Has no one ever heard of an external hard drive? I would much rather keep all of my files on an external and be able to use it on any device I wish, where ever I wish, whenever I wish rather than have it stuck on the xbox.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]jezus53[/nom]Has no one ever heard of an external hard drive? I would much rather keep all of my files on an external and be able to use it on any device I wish, where ever I wish, whenever I wish rather than have it stuck on the xbox.[/citation]

Meaning that you have to buy it, almost ruining the point of the free Xbox, to not have to buy it and it's peripherals.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]universal remonster[/nom]I'm selling my free console to a local video game store. I view it as a $125 cash rebate on my laptop =)[/citation]

Now that I can agree with.

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
people here are so negative, its a good offer, not everyone needs a big HDD, I stream media from my pc for example. btw, I dont see apple offering deals anywhere near as good as this.

Middleman

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
This is a good deal, but why is it for systems $699 and up in the US, but $599 and up in Canada?

I know the Canadian dollar is stronger than the US dollar right now, but not THAT stronger.

Middleman

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
[citation][nom]universal remonster[/nom]I'm selling my free console to a local video game store. I view it as a $125 cash rebate on my laptop =)[/citation]

Yeah, because $79 bucks (or less, if you buy one used) for an HDD just completely sours the prospect of a free $199 console. :rolls eyes:

What the hell is with all this negativity? They are giving away a damn Xbox for free with purchase of a laptop many students are going to be buying anyway. What does Apple do these days, give a hundred dollar gift card for iTunes? Whoopty shit.

When I bought my 2009 13" MBP a few years ago, they gave me a free iPod touch. It was only the 8gb model, and I had no need of it since I already had an iPhone and a Nano, but that didn't stop me from selling it on eBay for 175 bucks. It was money I was happy to have, frankly, as I looked at is as a 175 rebate on the purchase of my MacBook. If were following the mentality of most of you on here, I'd be bitching that it was just the 8gb model, and didn't come loaded with music and a free case packed in. Bunch of whiny babies.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
in what way is an xbox necessary? as in essential?

It will force sales of the xbox hdd as people will want to upgrade. Now if the xbox could be a home server to backup the laptop should it fail then that would be interesting.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Can't tell if they're clearing out their Xboxes or PCs, or whether they're promoting PC sales.

I bet, if they announced a free "Halo 4 for the PC" coupon code, i bet they'd sell a lot more PCs ;)

sadly won't happen...at least until Halo 5, in case the 720 gets Win 8 and has an AMD APU.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
are people really complaining about this?! so what if its an old console with only 4gb of storage. You dont need a giant hard drive to save games. download only games are out of the question but this should be enough for playing games. I cant believe people are complaining about microsoft giving away a free xbox. Games are still being made for it so it isnt obsolete.

If a student needs to buy a new pc, igetting a free xbox with it is quite a nice bonus. stop being stuck up people, you make the pc gamer community look like whiny brats.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]are people really complaining about this?! so what if its an old console with only 4gb of storage. You dont need a giant hard drive to save games. download only games are out of the question but this should be enough for playing games. I cant believe people are complaining about microsoft giving away a free xbox. Games are still being made for it so it isnt obsolete.If a student needs to buy a new pc, igetting a free xbox with it is quite a nice bonus. stop being stuck up people, you make the pc gamer community look like whiny brats.[/citation]

Just because games are being made for it, you don't consider it as obsolete as it obviously is? Wrong. That just means that some people are still using obsolete technology. It's no less obsolete just because it's still in use.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Go for it MS. crapbox 360 tools/fools. Real gamers build their own PCs[/citation]
Do they build their own laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.