Microsoft Cranks Out Internet Explorer 9 RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
On my laptop Asus G73 it was having problems with internet explorer 9. Well the problem i ran into was trying to play GTA4 it wouldn't let me upload the patch then i switched back to explorer 8 and then it worked. I haven't tried out the new one yet though i tried the beta.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
IE9 is causing problems with GTA IV :/
I know it's a bugged console port, but hey I hope R* or M$ fix it.

I guess I'll just revert to IE8 and stick with Firefix 4 beta :D

G

Oh great, now there will be FOUR differently fucked-up browsers I'll have to test code against. At least with FF and Chrome you can reasonably expect users to be on a fairly recent version, instead of a 10-year-old one...

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
It's worth noting here that most of those 55% of users are the unsavvy ones.
They aren't going to be upgrading to any new browser unless it's pushed out by Windows Update anyway!

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Its funny that people complain about Internet explorer but its used by more people than anyother browser on the planet and i actually only use it i hate mozilla i hate chrome and i hate opera to me there just to bland and i have been using IE from back in 95 days

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I'd been using the IE9 beta for sometime, but had to revert to IE8 - but can't remember why now. I miss the added functionality of it though.
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]It's worth noting here that most of those 55% of users are the unsavvy ones.They aren't going to be upgrading to any new browser unless it's pushed out by Windows Update anyway![/citation]
That's an interesting point. I do wonder how many in that 55% are corporate users.

[citation][nom]dillyflump[/nom]Internet Explorer? Do idiots still use this crap?[/citation]
Whoa.. a fanboy got mad.

orkie

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
I've always liked Internet explorer more than any other browser, just because i got used to it and no matter what people say, to me 99% of the time it loads pages faster than other browsers. I still use Firefox for that other 1% of the webpages that give me trouble with IE for 1 reason or another or when i need a specific addon like foxyproxy. i'm currently using the IE 9 beta and it crashes so often,seriosly i remember using the IE8 beta and never had problems so this did come out as a suprise... hopefully won't stay like that after it's finished.

Also what happened to the little down arrow after the Go forward and go backwards arrows which you could click on IE8 and chose exactly where to go back to or forward to? Why remove cool buttons microsoft.. why?

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]dillyflump[/nom]Internet Explorer? Do idiots still use this crap? Firefox & Chrome ftw, based solely on addon and functionality.[/citation]

This is ignorance. I am happy using both IE9 and FF3.6 (can't move to 4 due to addon support). But for most everything I use IE9 and its fast and simple. It does a great job on most every website and finally is supporting the W3C standards, which was one of the biggest problems with IE7/IE8.

But if you are too stubborn to even try IE9 then why even speak at all? Innovation comes from everywhere be it the large company or the small company. Its better to have more than just a few good web browsers out there because it pushes the other guys to be better.

As for Chrome, meh. I never saw what the hype was. Besides it installs Google Update that likes to leave ports open for attack.

[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]It's worth noting here that most of those 55% of users are the unsavvy ones.They aren't going to be upgrading to any new browser unless it's pushed out by Windows Update anyway![/citation]

I don't think its going to stay at 55% for that much longer. Mainly because most customers I talk to at my work (I work at SWS Computers as a repair tech) are interested in Windows 7 and are fine with going to it because the reviews have been great.

I just had a guy ask me if his PC could run Windows 7, of course it was too old to run it happily but he is going to buy a custom build with 7 anyways.

[citation][nom]pawessum16[/nom]I'd use IE9....if it had an ad blocker. Back to chrome. Tom's looks ugly with IE9 lol[/citation]

AdBlock Pro supports IE9.... Not sure why the guys doing Adblock Plus don't but its their choice.

For me, THG looks the same in IE9 as FF or IE8 and even runs better in IE9.

[citation][nom]retrig[/nom]And the value for Beta was.... what exactly?[/citation]

It was something along 95/96. But there was one error I found with it. It stated that IE9 Beta didn't have mpeg4 support yet it did. In fact one of the things Microsoft made to show off the embedded hardware/codex support was a kaleidoscope of mpeg4 videos playing so I question if html5test.com is able to fully see IE9s features.....

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
been a fan of IE8 till 6 months ago when i switched to ff 3.6 because IE started giving some trouble.

now i am a total conv ert to FF. i did download the IE9, tested it for a few minutes, exclaimed it was fast compared to ff 3.6 and didnt open it again.
seriously, FF is much better than IE, not in least due to add-ons.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I just installed the RC and had no problems installing it. Installed then wanted a restart. There are a few changes visually, the tabs look different, more square but overall it feels the same.

But THG is loading faster as are a few other websites and the download manager now displays the download speed where as before it was just a percentage done which is nice to have.

I still like IE9 and hope the final release ends up even better with more HTML5 support. HTML5 YouTube is much better than Flash YouTube. Although when I restarted Flash had a update for IE9 to 10.2........

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
IE 9 RC installed just fine on my two systems running Windows 7 Home Premium x64. (See my Member Configuration page for more details.) The overall speed and UI seem to be improved, but I'm still a happy Firefox 4.0 beta user.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I think it was a big mistake to leave out Windows XP users from using IE9 considering 55% of pc users still run Windows XP. Now Chrome, Opera and FireFox will take full advantage of Windows XP users.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
A very good browser, but not a great one. I have a few gripes with it:

1) UI: IE9 looks brilliant, unless you enable extra toolbars like the favorites bar. These ones don't have the transparancy of the rest of the UI and thus stick out like a sore thumb. In FF and especially Chrome, these toolbars look like they are a part of the browser, not just something that's sticked on top.

2) Ad ons. Or rather, the lack thereof. (although in corporate environments, that might be a good thing). I'd look to have an ad blocker and a bookmarks sync features that don't require seperate programs to be installed.

Give IE9 these features, and it's the best browser on the market. Now it's just something worth considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS