Microsoft: Free Antivirus, Addresses Fake

Status
Not open for further replies.

zehpavora

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Being from Brazil, it is good to see my country finally getting into the good side of the international setting. Both Microsoft's new stuff are named after Brazilian settings, such as the Natal camera for the Xbox 360 and this free anti-virus. I only bothers me a little that the author misspelled Sao Paulo state (he wrote is as Sao Paolo).

zehpavora

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]From the Urban Dictionary:morro - A verb, meaning to borrow with absolutely no intention of paying back. An underhanded way of taking advantage of a good soul[/citation]
Sorry, but in Portuguese, where that name came from, a Morro is like a hill, or in this case, the name of the beach.

MercAB3

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
[citation]However, the move may also spark more antitrust controversy for Microsoft, seen as means of dominating another aspect of the PC market.[/citation]

Only if they bundle it with Windows. Otherwise, I'm with Frozenlead and saying it's not displacing AVG for free protection.

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
How can Microsoft make Anti virus when the most common OSs that get hacked are Vista and XP?

It is an oxymoron, a person who gets sick all the time is making something that cures you and prevents you from ever getting sick.

That's just plain stupid

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Microsoft should have been entrenched in this market years ago. Security is a double-edged sword... write solid code that maintains/promotes safe practices and kill the critters that might get through those defenses. Anti-trust is a moot point, since the world has demanded this model of security and endlessly criticized and taken action against Microsoft for not providing it. Lack of anti-trust against MSRT is all Microsoft needed to test the waters. The latency of this decision has only made things worse than they otherwise might have been. I say let the have at it, be quiet about it, and the world might actually benefit.

csturtle

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
this will be quite sad if this causes another serious suit against microsoft, they try to provide free protection for the software that they are the sole producers of and people complain. u would think that people might complain if the performance ended up being like one care was but the very act of offering it FREE, please find something else to whine about

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
I've got a better idea... why not make their OS impervious to viruses? I know that could have a negative affect on the IT industry as dealing with malicious software takes up about 60-70% of IT support's time these days but hey!.. it's not like I'm asking them to make it stable too...

seatrotter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Microsoft is probably asking for it.

..Or this is payback to AVs that majorly screws-up Windows with faulty updates.

In either case, since most common Windows users would readily trust Morro (since it's also from MS), MS should either make sure Morro is very effective for its intended scope. Otherwise, it should have a visible note to users stating Morro's limitations and should seriously consider a full-blown AV. Not clear? Think of compact car performing as advertised/expected rather than a an SUV crippled to perform as a compact car just to make it cheaper.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]IronRyan21[/nom]This will probably work as well as vista does.[/citation]

So pretty dam good then? Since only a idiot thinks Vista is bad now.

And of course the EU will sue them for anti-trust laws. Oh well, hopefully more of the pirate party get's some seats so that madness can stop. I mean Microsoft has the best change of making the best anti-virus out there, they know the code more then anyone else.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]jeverson[/nom]I've got a better idea... why not make their OS impervious to viruses?[/citation]

Only way that is happening is if you never connect a computer to the internet and only run the programs installed with it. You will never make a OS immune to viruses, it's impossible.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Upendra09[/nom]How can Microsoft make Anti virus when the most common OSs that get hacked are Vista and XP?It is an oxymoron, a person who gets sick all the time is making something that cures you and prevents you from ever getting sick.That's just plain stupid[/citation]

Uh what? There's a good reason why XP and Vista are the most hacked OSes, they have the most market share by far. I goes over 90% windows, 4% Mac and the rest Linux and the like. I would hope windows is the most hacked otherwise it's the most secure OS out there easily.

Not to mention, it's Microsoft making the viruses you moron. Gee the stupidity of people.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
"A full Internet security suite is what consumers require today to stay fully protected,"
I've fixed more problems with Norton internet security and Norton 360 then I've removed viruses. I'm not a big fan of AVG but Avast has worked great for me and is now installed on every one of my home PCs. I honestly use Avast and Windows firewall and I don't get viruses and my PC doesn't run slow as crap.

I tell friends that Norton stuff 'may' keep you virus free but your computer will run like crap with it and you will be out 50 bucks so why bother. Pick up Avast which does a good job anyways and your computer still runs fast. (I have notice Avast makes my computer connnect to networks slightly slower after bootup).

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I hope this doesn't result in more lawsuits, that would make me sad. :'(

I haven't even used a anti-virus for a long time now, and I prefer it just because some anti-virus programs get fat from all the resources they require.

Windows Defender and the integrated firewall have done me just fine actually.

If all else fails, I not afraid of reformatting my OS. The best virus cleaning utility. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.