Microsoft, Intel Want to Push iPad's Market Share Below 50%

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]Pleaseeee because I wanna vomit every time i see an apple product.[/citation]
Wow...sounds like they've got a lot control over how you feel.

ironmb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]With what, Windows 8 tiles that look like crap. Good luck Wintel.[/citation]

Apple user ^

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I am in no way an Apple fan, their products are not enterprise friendly, but if Microsoft/Intel want to compete against the iPad in the consumer market then they need to think about the complete picture, not just the OS and hardware. The iPad as hardware would not have been this successful if it did not include the iTunes market (apps/music/video/books).

Its all about content delivery, now if Microsoft/Intel partnered with Amazon and combined the Amazon Music/Video/Books with the Zune's Music/Video portfolio and put it all together into a nice and easy to use package it could be interesting to watch. Or if Microsoft can pull off a content rich marketplace.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how things go.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Microsoft is late to the game (as they were with the audio player and smartphone markets). Even if they manage to beat Apple in the tablet market in like 2014, the iPad will have had at least four years of huge profits with hardly any competition. By the time Microsoft and Intel get their act together, Apple will concentrate on something else and Wintel will be competing on razor thin margins in a saturated market. Why didn't Microsoft do it right from the get go with the Tablet PC? Why did it take Steve Jobs to show them how it's done?

As an Apple hater (I find offensive their walled-garden approach to product design), I'm sick of having to wait for years while others catch up. Even today, if you want a high res tablet, you're stuck with Apple. If you want a high end 3.5" phone (not everyone wants 4"+), you're stuck with Apple. At least now Wintel have something to offer if you want a thin, light laptop, and it took them what, two years to develop competition to Macbook Air.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
32 different variants? Sounds like Sony's TV strategy, and we all know how that's panning out. Apple has one iPad (abeit with different memory skus), and that is why they are able to say "This is the best". Putting 32 different tablets out there is really overestimating consumers' decision-making abilities/attention spans. Also, stop trying to make Windows 8 look like Xbox Live. Shareholders already hate XBL enough as it is; don't ruin PC's with it too.

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Do it i want them to but i'm sorry Microsoft, Windows 8 is not good enough its to dumb(ugly) its Ok but its not better then Android's or Apple's OS(on the phone). And Intel you need to work better on that Atom and make it have Equal or better graphics then what Arm is giving out on the Iphones/Ipad.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I am thinking to get one IPAD because it succeeded in making in-flight entertainment system useless. I look stupid when my peers was using iPAD and I was still watching the screen on the flight.

Unless Win8 cost < US$50, otherwise it will have a hard time even competing with Android.

I don't need the full capabilities of Windows (writing reports, debugging my codes ... etc), because what I need is just a personal entertainmetn device when I use IPAD / any other Android PAd.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]There was a great slide show from business insider about a month ago...http://www.businessinsider.com/the [...] -2012-3#-1The picture they paint really does look like iOS is the champion.[/citation]

Very interesting, especially slide #43.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
How did Samsung come close?

It sold tens of thousands of tablets.

Apple sold Millions.

I am not an Apple guy and own none of their products, but the fight between the Galaxy Note and the Ipad is about as close as a 1980s boxing match, where one of the fighters was named Mike.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]How did Samsung come close? It sold tens of thousands of tablets. Apple sold Millions.I am not an Apple guy and own none of their products, but the fight between the Galaxy Note and the Ipad is about as close as a 1980s boxing match, where one of the fighters was named Mike.[/citation]

Was the other guy named Buster?

G

Apple launched its iPad upon the success of iPhone and iPod touch, when a huge selection of iOS apps have been built and many people are already familiar with the apps. Microsoft has terrible Windows phone sales and existing Windows applications are not compatible in a touch-based environment. They lost their biggest advantage of backward compatibility. Saying they will bring iPad market share below 50% at launch is way too optimistic.

The advantages of the Android, Wintel world is always that there are many vendors behind them, each of them will offer a different flavour of hardware that is targeted to different market segments, while Apple has few products which is appealing to more premium oriented segment. Don't forget it is a global market where different regions in the world has different views on what is cheap. It will start with Apple losing market shares at the low-end, then profitability of SOME of the vendors in Android, Wintel world will improve and better products and apps will be rolled out to start chipping away even the more premium segment dominated by Apple. That is gonna take a few years at least.

It will be interesting to see what Apple will do with their hoard of cash. Will they sell at a loss to capture the low-end segment, which they historically refuse to do? Or will they try to create a brand new market segment again, something like Apple TV? It's not easy to be a premium vendor all the time with every other vendors in the whole world competiting against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.