Microsoft Investing Billions in Windows Phone 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Imagine what kind of phone someone would have if that billion went into making the OS that much better....instead it's going to be spent on advertising and bribes to hardware manufacturers so they use MS. The OS might be good, but (like many game companies) it's easier to spend money on name recognition then it is to make something really special.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]BaraCubra[/nom]Im guessing ^^ will be getting banned pretty soon lol[/citation]
Yes, but unfortunately the mods/admins can no longer IP ban, however, the spammer just keeps creating new accounts.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Whats there name was going to try a new market with 48 mill. This is the big league and MS knows how to play.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I think this may be too little too late, just as the Blackberry Torch. Its going to be tough playing catchup. The only upshot, is that Microsoft has a huge developer base, and as such will rapidly gain the applications that are available on Android / iPhone already. That and they do have deep pockets to get their product out there, so we'll see if the consumers are in line.. Also, MS has never shown any partiality to any carrier, therefore its unlikely they'll have a exclusivity agreement and create a valdeez situation like Apple did with AT&T.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Phones are not even fun to watch anymore, they phase out so fast that one can't get used to type on them and they plop comes a new one. Why they even care about the OS it has in it, it's gonna change in less than a week or so, when a new Ephone comes out, or a R2D2-X15 or what ever comes out with a new OS and every one goes after that piece of plastic with glass like sheep's after grass!

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]thekurrgan[/nom]I think this may be too little too late, just as the Blackberry Torch. Its going to be tough playing catchup. The only upshot, is that Microsoft has a huge developer base, and as such will rapidly gain the applications that are available on Android / iPhone already. That and they do have deep pockets to get their product out there, so we'll see if the consumers are in line.. Also, MS has never shown any partiality to any carrier, therefore its unlikely they'll have a exclusivity agreement and create a valdeez situation like Apple did with AT&T.[/citation]

Very true. The company I work is a M$ partner and has several contracts with Microsoft to develop for Phone 7. The tech is nice, but we'll see how it goes with execution. I hope that M$ doesn't screw this up. The phone has a lot of potential and the platform is VERY easy to develop for, being XNA and Silverlight.

fjjb

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
i hope they start more stable than android!!. Im not saying i dont like android (i do!!!) since i have a device with it but the thing is that is very glitchy and sometime even sluguish for a phone or even a fast phone!

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I think its already making some inroads with the general consumer. I watched CTV news and the guy responsible for tech news was quite impressed with the new device running on that Samsung prototype.

G

Windows Phone 7 is going to be a big flop, just like the Microsoft Kin phone.

Microsoft is spending more money on the advertising than on the actual phone OS. That's why there are so many missing features in Windows Phone 7, such as no app multitasking, and no cut&paste.

It's because Microsoft put more effort into the advertising than actually creating the phone, and did a rushed half-baked job of it in the end.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I assume its going to be nothing like the desktop version otherwise it will need some pretty impressive hardware just to run it

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
You'd be better off spending that money giving it to the homeless so they can spend it on beer, cigarettes and other drugs. The DROID X and iPhone already have the market.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
You'd be better off spending that money giving it to the homeless so they can spend it on beer, cigarettes and other drugs. The DROID X and iPhone already have the market.

And RIM, and especially symbian

Also meego is being released soon

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I have the feeling that being a huge monopolist for decades Microsoft has absolutely no clue what is going on in the real world and that's why they seem to have a success only in the Windows / MS Office area where they do not have any competition.
In all other areas they just screw things up some examples are:
- MP3 player
- browser
- kin
etc.
XBOX 360 is a kind of partial success but it cannot be compared to Nintendo Wii and PS3 seems to gain ground lately pretty fast.
The only really good thing about MS is that they develop good development tools for free.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I also think that "Windows", "MS Windows" on a phone is a bad marketing strategy.
Who wants Windows on their phone??? :D The horrible buggy OS that makes your PC crawl. ??? I bet almost none tech savvy people would like a phone with an Windows logo on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.