Microsoft, It's Time To Retire Windows

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
I bet you guys only look at screenshot and say "it sucks" without looking at the in depth. I bet you the Author that wrote this article didn't even bother to look at the preview. You can completely disable it if installed on a desktop. and now you can have a full desktop on a Tablet!.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
and as far as i can tell. Mobile OS is cool but I would like to see A full desktop that represents whats on your PC on a tablet. The tiles Just helps if you are on a tablet.

TheWhiteRose000

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
@pbrigido
I agree also, with that comment.

To quote Stewie Griffin
"I Don't Like Change!"

I really really dislike the new GUI.
If it ain't broke don't fix it,.

Although on the up note, I'll probably be getting a lot of phone calls to change it to the 7 GUI.
So there is more profit for me in the long run....
Still don't like the idea, of being stuck with that new garbage though.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]I still think the best OS ever made by MS was NT 4.0. Back when it was released MS decided it would carry minimal 16-bit/DOS compatibility for the best stability and low resource usage. A typical NT 4.0 install takes 70MB disk space (the swap file often takes several times the whole install but it can be disabled) and it works great even on PCs with 64MB RAM or lower.They could do the same again, with a "pure" 64-bit OS with no slow legacy software or flawed services: a new OS with minimal system requeriments which fits cheap low-end PCs and the powerful enthusiast boxes.Making such a change is not easy but it's not only viable but to my eyes it's the last chance for MS to survive Google and Apple. The media claims ARM is better but X86-64 is much more powerful in any aspect and with the dawn of Brazos and the constant improvements on Atom there's momentum for X86-64 to dominate tablets, phones and several devices alike. All they need is a good OS which runs fast, takes minimal CPU time and disk I/O.[/citation]

Two things:

First - Microsoft HAD a fully 64-bit OS without any legacy cruft. It was Windows for Itaniums.

Second - the Atom processor will always be several generations behind in technology because Intel doesn't want you to buy something good that's also cheap for fear that it would take away sales of their higher-priced offerings. This is also their stance on virtualization technology. AMD doesn't see it that way though, which is why, I think, they'll be the best Windows-targeting chipmaker moving forward - a chipmaker that has complete platforms from CPU to Gfx to chipset, with better performance and compatibility than ARM, and better value for both consumers and business users than Intel.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]Blah ha ha, what do all the MS fanboys have to say about their beloved Winblows OS now. Ubuntu forever.[/citation]

Ubuntu is nothing but for computer geeks. there will never be a version of linux that can compete with windows period. and that has remained true since linux has been in existence

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I think I get MS point. I believe they are thinking on tablets, ultra compact portables, etc in the coming years. But please develop this product for its own market. I like W7 for my professional use. Besides I don't like the look of this interface.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
2Jecastej That is exactly it Its not. How about both. Windows 8 is one version for all and on the demo you don't have to sacrifice the traditional so its a definitely "win win" You can completely treat it like windows 7 or have a tablet and treat it as a mobile OS.

G

"
Its still Windows, just with an overlay.

As for Apple, they will see this, put it into a OSX version before MS gets 8 out and claim they had the idea first.

awood28211 06/10/2011 6:43 PM "

Well awood, Apple already beat them to the punch, OSX Tiger already has this type of overlay for the OS, it is called launchpad, and they let you choose which you want to use, and it is only ever a quick gesture away.
BTW, on the Mac, you actually get far *more* control than windows, you have the entire UNIX shell at your disposal, far more powerful and machine level than the windows command prompt, you also have automator and applescript. The Mac actually allows you to get your hands dirty far more than on the PC, it is one of the big misconceptions.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
windows 8 is built for tablets while having a traditional desktop on a tablet. So if intel can release a good mobile CPU you can technically treat a tablet as another PC and maybe be seen on a network like another PC.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]anonimo[/nom]they do have the w7 interface...this is how it looks if you have a tablet or if you want it to look like that on your PC and its completely optional[/citation]
If you watched the video to the end you would know that this is the default interface for all platforms. Yes, you can switch back to the familiar desktop/taskbar/Start Button, but the new tiles interface is the default (for ALL platforms).

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]Ubuntu is nothing but for computer geeks. there will never be a version of linux that can compete with windows period. and that has remained true since linux has been in existence[/citation]

Computer geeks don't use Ubuntu or Mint, they're simpler to use than Windows and rival Mac OS X. Driver updates (the full blown proprietary ones)? Click yes on pop up. Done. Updates? Automatically done for you. Command Line? Not needed if you don't want to use it. Software? 99% of apps can be installed via the Software Center. One click. Go. System requirements? A lot lower. Speed? Excellent. Stability? Fantastic.

G

Win7 + rocketdock > Win8 *new gui* for desktops, hands down. I have all the usual Win 7 desktop stuff I use, and rocketdock "tiles" accessible by moving the mouse to the bottom edge of the screen to access my customized list of software I wanted to put there. Rocketdock could upgrade a bit so its not just shortcuts, but feeds as well... I would find that quite satisfactory.

Will Win 8 have directx 12 to itself, forcing users to upgrade to utilize it? (not that any games will use it, but the attempt still sucks)

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Computer geeks don't use Ubuntu or Mint, they're simpler to use than Windows and rival Mac OS X. Driver updates (the full blown proprietary ones)? Click yes on pop up. Done. Updates? Automatically done for you. Command Line? Not needed if you don't want to use it. Software? 99% of apps can be installed via the Software Center. One click. Go. System requirements? A lot lower. Speed? Excellent. Stability? Fantastic.[/citation]

blah blah blah it it were that easy to use then people wouldn't be buying windows. like i said lunux will always be the number 3 OS but number 1 to computer geeks. or people trying to rebel against big ol MS for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.