Microsoft, It's Time To Retire Windows

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Used Linux Ubuntu 11. For a virtual machine OS is perfect. Now as Primary Don't think so. I am the kind of person that likes to keep the software installers. I don't want to rely on the internet to get all updates. If hard drive craps out or system failure i don't want waste any bandwith due to ISP's are capping users. I like to drivers and software at my fingertips. These days Installing stuff on windows is easy. I like to keep my drivers updated Pre installed drivers is a no no for me as it will be updated MANUALLY and not relying on the internet.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
and don't get me started with compatibility like the latest game titles not even debatable. Linux works if you stay withing its parameters or use the ubuntu center. Outside Sudo this Sudo that is your god lol.

G

"Blah ha ha, what do all the MS fanboys have to say about their beloved Winblows OS now. Ubuntu forever."

"Blah ha ha, Windows phone OS for all."

Wow ReggieRay, you must have gained some small amount of intelligence recently. You managed to post 2 comments on one article without mentioning President Obama. Congrats.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]AnUnusedUsername[/nom]I just don't really understand microsoft's goal here. We don't want sloppy, inefficient, clutter. If we did we'd go to macOS. The general windows user wants to have more control over their system, not less. I think the basic rationale for going for windows over macOS has been that it gives you more control and less gimmick. If microsoft tries to reverse this, they'll be alienating their real customers while trying to acquire apple's customers, who aren't interested. A version of windows focused on performance and a minimal UI would make a lot more sense than taking the apple route and just making everything bigger, uglier, and slower.Of course, for all I know what we know as windows 8 isn't even going to be released as a desktop OS, and while it attempts to work on the tablet market, microsoft will develop an actual operating system for desktop computers and traditional laptops.[/citation]

What kind of "control" are u talking about? What "control" does Windows give u that Mac OS doesn't give you?

btw: I think MS has already confirmed that Windows 8 is going to be released for all platforms and that might actually be a pretty good idea.
At least Microsoft is trying to innovate for once. I don't think they have introduced a single new GUI feature to the market since they introduced the taskbar 16 years ago. (Was the taskbar their own idea? I think it was)

G

They should drop the windows brand and call this Microsoft Bob. Maybe Bob will work the second time around but I bet this will be just as annoying. Did I mention the new interface reminds me of Microsoft Bob?

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
At this stage I'm still unconvinced by this GUI. Is MS genuinely attempting to create innovative markets, or simply latch onto existing one's?

I remember using the Amiga's wimp-based operating system named 'Workbench', being released years before Windows 95. With preemptive multi-tasking built right into the hardware from the ground up, this thing was streets ahead of the competition and create a niche market for video production. The only things that let Amiga slip by the wayside were marketing and management, not the hardware.

Why did MS go for a 'Windows' name if they wanted to create something different? The name implies it doesn't break away from accepted tradition. Worse, will history repeat itself? Do we need a Windows 8? No doubt it will be a perfect candidate for gobbling computer resources and requiring quite a considerable amount of servicing.

I myself prefer the traditional look of Windows XP, and want to know what's going on under the hood so to speak. Cloud computing is not something I'd relish for reasons of privacy. The interface itself shown looks far too simplistic and cumbersome for my liking..it might be great on a mobile device but I don't relish the thought of using it on a desktop which is where I do most of my work. For instance, how do I navigate 21,000+ web links on Windows 8? Will it do this any better than using a pull-down menu? A desktop PC isn't just designed for simple tasks and simple layouts.

If Windows 8 gives me the same frustration Windows Vista does, it's gone. I won't use it. The more time I spend battling with an OS, the less time I have to concentrate on my work and the less inclined I am to be spontaneous. This is just how I felt when I stopped using an upgraded Amiga and instead went back to DOS, Windows 3.11 and even Windows '95. I get the impression that MS is simply attempting to repeat history by trying to re-invent the wheel. This interface looks like something that would only supplement any Windows-based system, rather than replace it.

G

@Waethorn: "If you can hit a light switch on a wall, you can use a vertical tablet - it's just not easy to type on, like you do on a keyboard."

Unless you've been having lightswitch raves, you almost certainly don't use your light switch anywhere near as much as your keyboard or mouse...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]If remember the rant with Aero and the XP skin at the beginning... You need to refresh things up sometimes to find better fits.Hey, like rockers say: if it's too loud, you're too old! Same could be said for software: if it's too complex, you're too old!Cheers![/citation]

except xp was just that, a skin
areo takes real processing power (todays standards, its nothing but still)
this is a WHOLE NEW INTERFACE, not just a skin

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]If remember the rant with Aero and the XP skin at the beginning... You need to refresh things up sometimes to find better fits.Hey, like rockers say: if it's too loud, you're too old! Same could be said for software: if it's too complex, you're too old!Cheers![/citation]

thats true but aero was just adding a few features and a different color to the task bar. this looks entireley different. not going to lie i will try to get a beta to try it out.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]wherethelightswitchat[/nom]@Waethorn: "If you can hit a light switch on a wall, you can use a vertical tablet - it's just not easy to type on, like you do on a keyboard."Unless you've been having lightswitch raves, you almost certainly don't use your light switch anywhere near as much as your keyboard or mouse...[/citation]

And aside from typing, are your fingers constantly doing contact sign-language on an iPad? I would say no. You tap, maybe swipe once or twice. Most just read the screen. Maybe scroll a bit. If you can lift your arms, you can use a button control on a vertical screen. Now, if your name is Steven Jobs and your body was ravaged by cancer and you have no muscle tone left, well then, maybe you should start up your own technology company out of your garage and dictate computer usage based on your own personal ineptitudes. Or use Apple's solution - I don't care.

bbfknight

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
omg , the writer of this is dumb..

if you ACTUALLY watch the video and NOT over react, you will see the start button and normal interface is still there... the tile is an option.. its like, starting windows media center on windows 7....

if you think that the touch interface is going to be the default your an idiot.
mouse and keyboard users would have NO use for such an interface...

the windows 7 interface is still there, you can still get to it.. calm down everyone...

G

15 years or so in, and I still have users that can't identify the Windows key.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]jinglebells117531[/nom]"Blah ha ha, what do all the MS fanboys have to say about their beloved Winblows OS now. Ubuntu forever.""Blah ha ha, Windows phone OS for all."Wow ReggieRay, you must have gained some small amount of intelligence recently. You managed to post 2 comments on one article without mentioning President Obama. Congrats.[/citation]
Oh yeah, thanks. Vote out the Marxist Obama, the Kenyan closet Muslim.

raurelian

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
[citation][nom]mackGuffin[/nom]15 years or so in, and I still have users that can't identify the Windows key.[/citation]

This is so true...

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
ok - so for those of you still wondering why they would do all these changes to windows 8....its called Windows Phone.

1. No it will currently not be available or back ported to Windows7
2. No it is not ONLY a touch screen interface, its called a submenu, you swipe through the menus to get to your regular desktop
3. Yes - the idea is that devices running the Win8 OS will be touchscreen
4. No you will not see this OS on phone or playbook sized device.

Go watch the developer conference highlighting the features of the new OS instead of guessing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MnEndww2YQ&feature=player_embedded

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]I still think the best OS ever made by MS was NT 4.0. Back when it was released MS decided it would carry minimal 16-bit/DOS compatibility for the best stability and low resource usage. A typical NT 4.0 install takes 70MB disk space (the swap file often takes several times the whole install but it can be disabled) and it works great even on PCs with 64MB RAM or lower.They could do the same again, with a "pure" 64-bit OS with no slow legacy software or flawed services: a new OS with minimal system requeriments which fits cheap low-end PCs and the powerful enthusiast boxes.Making such a change is not easy but it's not only viable but to my eyes it's the last chance for MS to survive Google and Apple. The media claims ARM is better but X86-64 is much more powerful in any aspect and with the dawn of Brazos and the constant improvements on Atom there's momentum for X86-64 to dominate tablets, phones and several devices alike. All they need is a good OS which runs fast, takes minimal CPU time and disk I/O.[/citation]

I think that if they can get the software manufacturers to write 64-bit versions of everything that just might work.

Lamiel

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Retileceve[/nom]Microsoft says: Tom's, it's time to retire Wolfgang.[/citation]

Yes, yes, yes, and more yes. YES. Please. Wolfgang is the worst tech "journalist" OAT. I am so bloody sick of scrolling through the titles of the articles on Tom's home page, and then groaning to myself when I see something like "Microsoft, It's Time To Retire Windows". Instantly, I think, "Not another Wolfgang article..." Yep. Another one. As pointless as the last. And yes, I know that I don't have to read his drivel. But I choose to do so that I can bitch and moan about something completely inconsequential in the grand scheme of life. This is my right as a free man. Just as it's Wolfgang's right to be an absolute prat. I just wish he'd go off and do it somewhere else.

Terrance

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
I understand that English may not be the author's first language, but this is in serious need of editing:

"What is important to notice is that Microsoft recognizes that the times are changing? We are in the midst of a time that will alter the way we use computers and interact with them. Microsoft needs a unified operating system for all new platforms as Windows 7 just does not work on tablets very well. There is a thirst for an OS that is a substantially different."

Grammar aside, the article is flawed in it's assumptions. Catchy title, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.