Microsoft Kills Zune Hardware; Service Lives on in WP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]Let me also say I will not buy a iPod either. I see tools at the gym wearing these thing, hiding in their own little world. These things are anti-social devices, get a life and talk to your fellow man. You would be amazed what you may learn.[/citation]
You seem rather silly. The gym is generally a boring place... I do my work outs. How is having a music player a "tool".... that is stupid. So, those with cassette players are the cool ones?

I use a Sandisk Clip MP3 player.

flclkun

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]Let me also say I will not buy a iPod either. I see tools at the gym wearing these thing, hiding in their own little world. These things are anti-social devices, get a life and talk to your fellow man. You would be amazed what you may learn.[/citation]
so you want to go to the gym to be hit on by other men?

You go do that. Go ahead .....strike up a convo with a man at the gym, bug him the whole time he's there trying to do what all other men are trying to do (improve themselves). You will be labeled homosexual, avoided, complained about, and then asked to leave. Men shouldn't go to the gym to talk and hit on men.

not like you go to the gym to work out apparently.

G

People don't associate Microsoft with reliability or quality, and therefore don't choose their products. The only reason they pick Windows for their desktop or laptop is because they DON'T get to pick what OS it comes with, thank you monopoly.

Most of their operating systems were absolute turds when they first came out, and only really hit their stride after 2+ years of updates. Windows 7 was pretty much "Vista done right", whereas Windows 8 is set to improve 7 right off a cliff again. Then you have products like Office which are worse off now than they were 10 years ago. Myself and every other savvy consumer really doubt that the Zune or WP7 is any better, which is why we won't even consider it as long as Android and iPhone don't shoot themselves in the foot.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]i_heart_ms[/nom]People don't associate Microsoft with reliability or quality, and therefore don't choose their products. The only reason they pick Windows for their desktop or laptop is because they DON'T get to pick what OS it comes with, thank you monopoly. Most of their operating systems were absolute turds when they first came out, and only really hit their stride after 2+ years of updates. Windows 7 was pretty much "Vista done right", whereas Windows 8 is set to improve 7 right off a cliff again. Then you have products like Office which are worse off now than they were 10 years ago. Myself and every other savvy consumer really doubt that the Zune or WP7 is any better, which is why we won't even consider it as long as Android and iPhone don't shoot themselves in the foot.[/citation]

+1

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Its a sad day. The original Zunes were somewhat inferior to iPods, yes. But the Zune HD really had potential, only if it were sold elsewhere and not just the US and was refreshed periodically.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
So... My computer plays mp3s, as does my car, phone, GPS, kindle, netbook, and even one of my flash drives. Why do I need a stand-alone MP3 player again?

Oh, riiiight. To keep up with the jonses, whoever they are.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]So... My computer plays mp3s, as does my car, phone, GPS, kindle, netbook, and even one of my flash drives. Why do I need a stand-alone MP3 player again?Oh, riiiight. To keep up with the jonses, whoever they are.[/citation]

At the gym... can't bring in my desktop (or notebook) while on a treadmill or pumping weights. GPS is in my phone. No kindle or Netbook, but have an iPad - but again, too big to carry on a bike or while at the gym. My phone could be my MP3 player, but since its an Android with a 4" screen - its bulky, it sucks up battery life that reduces its functionality as a PHONE.

So yes, a $30 Sandisk Sansa Clip with 2GB RAM (has a SD slot) holds more than enough songs. Its battery been charged TWICE since I bought it 3+ months ago. If it gets damaged or stolen... its a cheap $30 replacement. So yeah, there is a place FOR a stand alone MP3 player.

You could just own an iPhone... :)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Microsoft needs to fire their entire marketing department. Zune was superior to the iPod, as are many of Microsoft's products. It's just their marketing SUCKS![/citation]

apple is a life style. it makes you feel superior without being superior.
microsoft, for all the good they do, cant compete with that.

and the people who aren't looking for a life style product like an apple thing, have realy cheap options such as the cube, a personal favorite, or thumb drives with a mp3 plater attached, or even a small one that takes sd cards or microsd.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]apple is a life style. it makes you feel superior without being superior.microsoft, for all the good they do, cant compete with that. and the people who aren't looking for a life style product like an apple thing, have realy cheap options such as the cube, a personal favorite, or thumb drives with a mp3 plater attached, or even a small one that takes sd cards or microsd.[/citation]

That's ridiculous. Its okay for you guys to have an opinion. However, you don't know enough people to make the statement "Apple is a lifestyle" LOL. Apple is just another computer, phone, portable music player manufacturer. I don't think even their most ardent fan thinks they're more than that.

I know its popular on this site to dislike Apple but come on folks. Think before you write.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]apple is a life style. it makes you feel superior without being superior[/citation]
So what you are saying is that it is a psychological crutch for the emotionally retarded?
Everyone, give this guy a thumbs up for being the first Macfan to fess up to the real truth that we all long suspected but everyone was too chicken-shit to admit.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Apple is just a company that sells things. Folks here act like Apple forces people to buy their products, and they, therefore, need to rebel. Again, totally understand that the majority of THG forumers don't like Apple or their products but what's with all the asinine comments.

If you don't like Apple or their products just ignore them.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]So what you are saying is that it is a psychological crutch for the emotionally retarded?...Everyone, give this guy a thumbs up for being the first Macfan to fess up to the real truth that we all long suspected but everyone was too chicken-shit to admit.[/citation]

not a mac fan, i despise everything about macs as a computer.

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]That's ridiculous. Its okay for you guys to have an opinion. However, you don't know enough people to make the statement "Apple is a lifestyle" LOL. Apple is just another computer, phone, portable music player manufacturer. I don't think even their most ardent fan thinks they're more than that.I know its popular on this site to dislike Apple but come on folks. Think before you write.[/citation]

talk to people who are actual mac fans, and not just people who buy an iphone.

the iphone/touch/pad is a "cool" gadget, so you dont get those life style people yet. but once you go into computers, and not a collage kid forced to use it because of coarses require a mac over anything else.

you start to find people who fit that "lifestyle" though i dont know the name of it off the top of my head. they don't model their lives around the mac, but the mac fits that model of life... its really hard to explain unless you meet one of these people.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]not a mac fan, i despise everything about macs as a computer. talk to people who are actual mac fans, and not just people who buy an iphone.the iphone/touch/pad is a "cool" gadget, so you dont get those life style people yet. but once you go into computers, and not a collage kid forced to use it because of coarses require a mac over anything else. you start to find people who fit that "lifestyle" though i dont know the name of it off the top of my head. they don't model their lives around the mac, but the mac fits that model of life... its really hard to explain unless you meet one of these people.[/citation]

Its funny to read all the stereotypes of Mac users. Macs are just another computer.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Its funny to read all the stereotypes of Mac users. Macs are just another computer.[/citation]

but generally the stereo types exist for a reason.

back when macs weren't pretty, yea, they were just another os, and one that may have been better than its competition, i cant speak for them as i never used computers than.

than when they got color, and were still crts, you started to get the hipster crowd, along with people who thought macs just work and are easier than windows.

but than everything changed.
with he ipod, and everything after, they no longer sold just a computer, they sold you the ability to precieve yourself as cool.

i mean pre ipod i knew people who use a mac, various reasons, but weren't douchey about it. post ipod... i haven't met one who wasn't a zealot and still got a mac by choice.

im sure some exist, somewhere, but if i have to listen to another family member tell me that their mac is better because it cost more (yes i have family who dies that crap) im considering just never talking to them again, its been YEARS of dealing with lifestyle mac people for me.

some people don't believe that a stereotype is true, but they exist for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.