Microsoft Launches Super Glossy Xbox 360 Slim

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation][nom]frye[/nom]I'm going to get it. 250GB hard-drive ($150 by itself), Wifi adaptor ($80 by itself) and now support for HDMI (mine doesn't have it) + being quieter? That's up to $230, plus Best Buy said they'll give me $80 for my old one. That's $310![/citation]

Microsoft has brainwashed you! The xbox should have come with those things to begin with.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]Wow what a bunch of hypocrites. Greenberg quote from last holiday season-When asked about the PlayStation 3 Slim and whether Microsoft would ever consider such a redesign for its console, Greenberg said, "We feel great about the hardware that we have in the market today and our focus has been on great bundle and doing things like the holiday bundle, and not on going back to the drawing board on a console." http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1054276p1.htmlHmmm, well first that wasn't exactly true, as this link proves clearly-http://www.gamespot.com/news/62163 [...] lt;title;0Now this. Funny how they still have a lead at all when they've been playing technology catch-up to Sony all generation.[/citation]

That's not being hypocritical, they were trying to 'hide' what they were doing. Is that really surprising?

How is it funny? Gaming consoles is about the games and features, not just the technology. Apparently to the minds of the majority of gamers, Microsoft has the games.

I however, am a PC gamer, and I'm just waiting for y'all consoles to get an update already.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Hmm smaller console, does that mean smaller HSF too ?? not that the existing HSF in the standard xbox can cope with heat problems. RROD is still a sizeable problme for MS

G

We are not going to see Blu-Ray in a Xbox for two reasons.Apple and Sony, two major competitors to Microsoft are members of the Blu-ray Disc Association.Bit of a conflict of interest there.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I kindof want one, but I can't think of any games that are only available on 360 that I must have. Most of them are on both systems. So.. I think I'll stick with my PS3.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Wifi, meh. If its far enough away from your router to want to use wifi, its probably not going to get a strong enough signal to get lag-free streaming/gaming.

Agree that this is not big news, just inevitable, expected progress.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]pojih[/nom]Microsoft has brainwashed you! The xbox should have come with those things to begin with.[/citation]

Like sony and then charge 600bucks for it? No thanks I'm not a moron I can crimp my own cable. Hack a WD hard drive, and stream my movies. Even stream my blueray rips. That way no discs. So I'm good.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]Wow what a bunch of hypocrites. Greenberg quote from last holiday season-When asked about the PlayStation 3 Slim and whether Microsoft would ever consider such a redesign for its console, Greenberg said, "We feel great about the hardware that we have in the market today and our focus has been on great bundle and doing things like the holiday bundle, and not on going back to the drawing board on a console." http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1054276p1.htmlHmmm, well first that wasn't exactly true, as this link proves clearly-http://www.gamespot.com/news/62163 [...] lt;title;0Now this. Funny how they still have a lead at all when they've been playing technology catch-up to Sony all generation.[/citation]

Its not funny. Sony packed too much into their console and tried to charge an arm and a leg for it. Microsoft didnt and is now adding it when the tech is cheaper. Therefor cheaper consoles. Also maybe if sony would have developers make a crap ton of decent games for it Microsoft would be in last place.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
[citation][nom]gpace[/nom]Humm, interesting. They should think about a Kinect bundle with this.Next thing you know, the Wii Slim will come out too at $200.[/citation]

Lol the Wii slim...

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Should have chosen non glossy or matte.$299 is good.[/citation]

Not to be a dick, but what is the difference between non glossy and matte? Just asking

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Gloss is an optical property, which is based on the interaction of light with physical characteristics of a surface. It is actually the ability of a surface to reflect light into the specular direction.

A non-shiny, frosted surface.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]vider[/nom]Gloss is an optical property, which is based on the interaction of light with physical characteristics of a surface. It is actually the ability of a surface to reflect light into the specular direction.A non-shiny, frosted surface.[/citation]
And you need to tell us this because...?

fusion_gtx

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
A smaller case when too much heat has always been an issue with this system. Microsoft still has issues with heating and they go and do something that forces your components to be closer together. Given some of the components will be smaller due to technological advances, but I for one would not care to chance money on this system.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Well they did perforate the sides a little better but I'll wait until I see the heat sink setup. Hopefully they finally went copper this time.

G

I hope they spent $5 more on the DVD drive so that it might not sound like a Boeing 747 throttling up.

Big fan of the appearance though - good job MS!

melvis72

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Really this late? My PC is litterly laughing at this outdated garbage! You can paint a terd shiny it's still a terd! It's about time for new round of consoles isn't it so I can jump 2 more generations ahead hardware wise and laugh at all the jaggies.[/citation]

So really when are you going to come up with something new? You get tired of posting the same crap on firingsquad and come over here with the same old tired comments. Post something new, nobody cares to hear the thing over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.