Microsoft Launches Super Glossy Xbox 360 Slim

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Shloader[/nom]Well they did perforate the sides a little better but I'll wait until I see the heat sink setup. Hopefully they finally went copper this time.[/citation]
Supposedly it weighs almost the same as the current xbox, so that could mean more copper.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]tomssound[/nom]They should have added blu-ray. HDDVD Lost the war.. time to move into the next generation already.[/citation]

You really are retarded uh? Yea like Sony will allow that, lmfao.

Console idiots once again proving they can't think.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]Its not funny. Sony packed too much into their console and tried to charge an arm and a leg for it. Microsoft didnt and is now adding it when the tech is cheaper. Therefor cheaper consoles. Also maybe if sony would have developers make a crap ton of decent games for it Microsoft would be in last place.[/citation]

Wow, you completely have the tail wagging the dog. The big loser was Microsoft. Your "insight" is preposterous. I'll give you a hint. Go buy an HD DVD player. Guess how long consoles are around. Guess how long video formats are around. Guess which device made Blu-Ray players much more common than HD-DVD. Guess how many VCRs are sold. Guess how many times this is compared to game consoles. Guess who makes money on Blu-Ray. Every one of the millions that sell, regardless of manufacturer.

Not only that, Sony has been selling the PS3 pretty well lately, so they lost sales for a few years, and gained huge royalties because their standard succeeded. The standard Microsoft backed failed.

So, sorry, Sony did the right thing. Take a look at the bigger picture. Even if they completely sacrificed PS3 it would have been worth it, but they didn't. It's doing fine now.

samdsox

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
prety cool. but is it cool enough? i won't buy it unless they fixed rrod on it. I mean if it overheats you lose that 299 that you just spent on a brand new xbox.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
@TA152H

I'm not convinced that Blu-ray has 'won' any war. Digital distribution has won (or is winning) the war. I don't own a Blu-ray player and don't think I'll ever buy one. Who wants to replace all of their DVDs (after replacing their VHS tapes) and then replace their Blu-ray discs once the next standard is out? I personally think that hard copies of media are dead.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Sony DOES allow MS to put Blu-ray into the 360.

MS refuses to allow BR drive support, even from 3rd party...

Which kind of KILLS the 360's media-hub abilities.

There isn't a version of DL Avatar that compares to the BR disc version.

Oh yeah, the new 360-slim is even uglier than the original 360. Now they should have made the joystick glossy too... to make it match the rest :)

footsoldier

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
[citation][nom]fusion_gtx[/nom]A smaller case when too much heat has always been an issue with this system. Microsoft still has issues with heating and they go and do something that forces your components to be closer together. Given some of the components will be smaller due to technological advances, but I for one would not care to chance money on this system.[/citation]

"Based around an integrated CPU/GPU chip using 45nm fabrication process and redesigned internal architecture"

td854

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I don't understand what the deal is with the whole "omg glossy = fingerprints" crap ... I have a PS3, i don't touch it since pretty much every function can be controlled from the controller, and I'm pretty sure the same can be said for the xbox. As for whether or not this looks cheaper than the original, I don't see how... the elite looks roughly the same just bigger and the original looks like a toy.

That said I'll probably be getting one since the hugeness of my PS3 takes up too much room to fit a full size xbox as where this new slim model might actually fit between the small space below my HDTV.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]Shloader[/nom]Well they did perforate the sides a little better but I'll wait until I see the heat sink setup. Hopefully they finally went copper this time.[/citation]The heatsink itself doesn't need to be copper. Just the heat pipes - and by design they're not solid either. The heat pipes also let them make a heatsink virtually any shape, and put it virtually wherever they want, all without reducing effectiveness.

With the new process, this Slim model looks to reduce temps even further than Jasper, so I doubt heat will be much of an issue.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]samdsox[/nom]prety cool. but is it cool enough? i won't buy it unless they fixed rrod on it. I mean if it overheats you lose that 299 that you just spent on a brand new xbox.[/citation]I'm sure it's much cooler and quieter. But apparentely you haven't heard of this thing called a warranty, either.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]samdsox[/nom]prety cool. but is it cool enough? i won't buy it unless they fixed rrod on it. I mean if it overheats you lose that 299 that you just spent on a brand new xbox.[/citation]
Cool! They fixed that several years ago.

Go pick yourself one up, then. :)

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]fusion_gtx[/nom]A smaller case when too much heat has always been an issue with this system. Microsoft still has issues with heating and they go and do something that forces your components to be closer together. Given some of the components will be smaller due to technological advances, but I for one would not care to chance money on this system.[/citation]

youa re wrong sir .. sicne teh last main baord revision (vahalla) all teh chips on the board were down sized to 65 nm ( origannly they have every thing at 90nm , then downsized the cpu , then the gpu and lastly all the other chips on teh MB)

the fail rates on the vahalla 360's is around 5-7 % which normal fail rates for any peice of technology , so they ahve had the ehat issues under control for a good bit of time now , however as is ated in my previous post i'd don't see this being cool even at 65 nm die sizes , perhaps they dropped all dies down to 45 or 40 nm for this version ?

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i dont see this doing so well, unless they did another drop in die size which i coudl see this thing working ok then , but at the original 90 nm , or even the newer 65 nm die sizes i don't see how they wil fight heat on this ,

Status
Not open for further replies.