Microsoft Mobile Marketshare Declines After WP7 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Microsoft have produced such a nice OS. I just hope they can break the stereotypes that they have stuck to them.

Their marketing team needs to change I think...

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
...there are currently only eight Windows Phone 7 smartphones on the market. These include the HTC Desire, the HTC Arrive, the Samsung Focus, the LG Quantum, the HTC Surround, the Dell Venue Pro, the HTC HD75 and the HTC Trophy.
The HTC Desire is an Android phone. Maybe you meant the HTC 7 Pro which is not on your list? Both US Cellular offerings.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]SILVER565[/nom]Microsoft have produced such a nice OS. I just hope they can break the stereotypes that they have stuck to them.Their marketing team needs to change I think...[/citation]

I definitely agree there. I love the WP7 and am learning to develop for it, but I haven't really seen any commercials except for the Australia one that Toms reported. :- /

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I live in New Zealand. I haven't seen any commercials either.
This is why Microsoft fail compared to Apple. They can't advertise a good product even if their life depended on it

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Still in decline, but the decline is likely slower than it would have been if WP 7 hadn't been released.

I'm hopeful that the introduction of Nokia (a brand with an excellent reputation in Europa, Africa and Asia) handsets will turn things around. Especially if these handsets are more powerful than the okay-but-not-great Qualqomm's they've been using.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Still in decline, but the decline is likely slower than it would have been if WP 7 hadn't been released.I'm hopeful that the introduction of Nokia (a brand with an excellent reputation in Europa, Africa and Asia) handsets will turn things around. Especially if these handsets are more powerful than the okay-but-not-great Qualqomm's they've been using.[/citation]

Hopefully!

Nokia could produce a phone that would destroy the upcoming iPhone and top Android models. They're more than capable after all..

G

I am waiting for firewall, AV-suite, hotfix 1-2-3 and service pack 3. Winphone won't ever go anywhere but to the history books. Trash!

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]No winphones please[/nom]I am waiting for firewall, AV-suite, hotfix 1-2-3 and service pack 3. Winphone won't ever go anywhere but to the history books. Trash![/citation]

wtf?

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I really don't think there is room for the three of them and Microsoft is likely the one to be pushed out. Apple is secure because they have the apple fan-boys and the type that try to show off what they have as if it somehow makes them a better person than others.... basically Apple has douche-bags as consumers and there is a whole lot of douche-bags.

Google's Android is free for to manufacturers as mentioned in the article. This means larger profits and maybe even a small cut in price for the consumer. Android isn't draconian like Apple when it comes to third party apps. This is good for developers, good for the consumer and even good for the manufactures of the phones as it gives more reason to buy one.

This is not something WP7 can easily compete with no matter how good the OS is.
They are charging for the use of the OS to the manufactures. Their market place seems to be a tad more strict than Google's. This currently leaves it less desirable to pretty much everyone. They could attempt to copy Android and make the OS itself free but this is Microsoft we are talking about so that is unlikely.

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
I was on the developers forums for WP7 when it was beta.

I went on a rant stating Microsoft needed to get their tail into the game because they are loosing market share quickly before they even released.

I also told them to attract the market you need lots of apps, and good ones to boot. To do this you need:

1) A good development kit
2) Lots of good developers
3) Good support for developers

Microsoft is in LAST place by a long shot, and their terms to developers was nothing short of eggresious and expensive. They blew rule #3 out of the water, causing all the developers in rule #2 to look elsewhere.

And as Shadow said above, MS had the nerve to charge for their OS with android is free to hardware vendors.

Case in point: A guy here at work won a WP7 and a data plan to go with it. I asked him how he liked it and he said, "I hate it" and I asked, "Why?" and he said, "No apps"

Arrogance pure and simple out of the bean counters who think they can turn a bigger profit.

If you need to catch up, make it free and easy for everyone. As improvements are made, THEN start charging.

Specter0420

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
@digitalgriffin, WP7 is very developer friendly and their marketplace is growing faster than Google’s or apple's app stores did. It currently has over 27,000 (a lot for how young it is and just a lot in general) and mango hasn't even hit yet! Besides, the best thing about my HTC HD7 is that WP7 can do things that Android/iOS can't (without third party apps).

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
WP7 is very good. I just hope it doesn't turn into one of those brilliant things that go unnoticed (It wouldn't be the first time it's happened to Microsoft)

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]digitalgriffin[/nom]I was on the developers forums for WP7 when it was beta.I went on a rant stating Microsoft needed to get their tail into the game because they are loosing market share quickly before they even released.I also told them to attract the market you need lots of apps, and good ones to boot. To do this you need:1) A good development kit2) Lots of good developers3) Good support for developersMicrosoft is in LAST place by a long shot, and their terms to developers was nothing short of eggresious and expensive. They blew rule #3 out of the water, causing all the developers in rule #2 to look elsewhere. And as Shadow said above, MS had the nerve to charge for their OS with android is free to hardware vendors.Case in point: A guy here at work won a WP7 and a data plan to go with it. I asked him how he liked it and he said, "I hate it" and I asked, "Why?" and he said, "No apps"Arrogance pure and simple out of the bean counters who think they can turn a bigger profit.If you need to catch up, make it free and easy for everyone. As improvements are made, THEN start charging.[/citation]

windows mobile always had more apps then anyone else. The only problem is the general retard doesnt know how to use a search engine to find them. when i had a windows phone i could get an app for anything i wanted it didnt matter. But the windows phone also did something others dont do vary well.. already had a full suite of software installed on the phone so there was little need for stupid apps.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I'm not a big fan of Microsoft as a company. But yeah, WP7 has an excellent UI and seeing in action is quite nice. It's easily easier to use over iOS Phone or Android.

I have a WP7 Launcher installed on my Android - so my phone looks like WP7 with the custom titles... I like how it shows me how many messages or calls are needed to look at on the tiles, and the titles are large and easier to press than the tiny dinky Android / iOS buttons.

I'd like to the WP7 market grow, but I don't want to see MS / Apple destroy Android over BS legal fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.