Microsoft, Nokia Close Deal for Future Love Child

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Wait until Windows 8 and WP8 will hit the market
I'll hope not only better Office compatibility, but also corporate control & connection to WP8
Nokia tablets with Windows 8 expected using maybe OMAP5430

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
blablablabla.

Yeah, right until MSFT decides to play nice with HTC again and leave Nokia after obtaining Navtec/Nokia Maps, which is what's all this shit is about.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Booooo!!! *throws rotten egg at Nokia CEO*

I would have rather seen them innovate Symbian or put all efforts into Maemo (they were collaborating with Intel which was a good thing) if they didn't go Android.

Nokia is now a blacklisted phone manufacturer for me and my current phone is a Nokia so, I'm not just "hatin'" just cause. I have used Nokia products in the past, great hardware, but if it comes with crappy software, then to hell with them.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]CyberAngel[/nom]Wait until Windows 8 and WP8 will hit the marketI'll hope not only better Office compatibility, but also corporate control & connection to WP8Nokia tablets with Windows 8 expected using maybe OMAP5430[/citation]
I'm not gonna wait for yet another OS with reduced features from MSFT.

An OS with which I can't:
- connect my TV as a second display and automatically play mvies full screen on that TV (theater mode)
- use my +500 contacts which I gathered over the years and transfer them by a stupid ISB cable to my phone (using the suplied fsoftware)!
- can't record phonecalls (albeit with the press of a button) while I'm driving and when I don't wanna call back (so it it'll cost me money)
- can't login to my shared folders like I used to do, from my old full featured windows (XP) with an olde Windows smartphone OS, and "stream" movies and audio without resorting to strange restrictive things like DLNA

Yeah with the current trend in empty faceless UI-animations ridden OS's, I'm really looking forward to a new Wintendo :-(
I wonder what's missing next time? Last time it was an email client this time probably the file manager as well :-(

Besides a new windows is good for MSFT not for Nokia.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
in the future Nokia will push .NET forward instead of QT I guess.

Oh wait... dot-NET is depreciated too

Hmmm... perhaps this current "strategic alliance" isn't that much strategic after all.

Actually I don't care for the moment. I'm currently quite happy with my C7. Since it's the only smartphone left that can automatically record phonecalls (albeit with a beep every 10-seconds). Anyway, I have no other choice whether I like it or not :-(

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
oops pressed a bit to quick on the post button.

I wanted to say' this: Symbian wont be vanished overnight. Particularly as Nokia is persuing further updates for it currently. It'll be years before that platform is completely gone. By that time hopefully the others (including WP7/8/-whatever) will catch up, so I just buy whatever comes along that fulfill my needs (including call recording).

We'll just have to wait and see how this mess will turn out. The one thing I just keep wondering is this.
- Nokia is currently the no. 1 in market and sales of cellphones.

Did it really "need" partner with MSFT? Because when you're no.1 then the only way is down (or remain no.1). Nonetheless they are still making profit, less profit sure... but still profit!

So what's all the fuzz really about?

- Perceived market stand still (which in reality still yield profits)?
- Perceived bad products (which in reality don't turn out to as bad at all)?

Tell me, what is really going on here? Tom's hardware, El Reg, Engadget and all the others with their FUD... show us the truth!

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
If anyone thinks Nokia never tried to have some sorth of agreement with Google to get Android they are seriously naive. I'm perfectly sure they did at some point util they eventually went WP7 (They have stated that Android is not appropriate for them which strongly suggests they have analized it as an oportunity).

My guess is that somehow Microsoft managed to promise Nokia to invest more than the competition in the OS in the direction that Nokia wants to bring it, so they took the Microsoft offer.

That's how the business goes.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Stil doesn't answer my question:

Why would Nokia have to make an "agreement"with anyone? They're still selling the most phones and probably selling the most symbian smarthphones as well (combined S40 and S60/S^3). They made in real money from (smart)phones more profit than Apple and MSFT combined.

So I just don't understand why Nokia has to abandon Symbian at all or give an inferior product the advantage. Just bundle SPB Mobile Shell as an animations ridden UI on top of S^3 (since that's what most of the press seems focussed at) and off they go. What's so difficult about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.