Microsoft Offers $100 to Cash-Strapped Windows XP Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
"Support" or no "Support" they will STILL have to pry XP from my cold, dead hands...And you had better get a crowbar too because I'm not taking this pitiful win8 gag offer either. You offer me 7 and THEN we will start talking turkey.

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
"Support" or no "Support" they will STILL have to pry XP from my cold, dead hands...And you had better get a crowbar too because I'm not taking this pitiful win8 gag offer either. You offer me 7 and THEN we will start talking turkey.
If I can ever personally trace your computer to being responsible for being part of a botnet attack, I will find you, and I will punch you in the face. Yes, any version of Windows can be compromised, but using one that you know full well is going to be far easier to compromise is just negligent. That is all.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
@canadianvice give it a rest already!!OK, Microsoft I will pay a subscription fee of $20 year for driver and security updates.If there are 10 Mil. others that would be $200 Mil which I think should cover your cost.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I have windows 7 but recently downloaded Linux Mint Debian edition as a dual boot. I like it, a bit of a learning curve though.....they couldn't pay me enough to switch from win 7 to Win 8, I would just stick with Mint as it is free.

thebrickhouse

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
For all of the articles Tom's puts out there about how XP users are supposed to be "scared" and "terrified" that Microsoft won't support XP anymore, I hope they do the right thing and write articles about free options, like Ubuntu. 14.04 LTS is coming in April too ya know. Oh wait! I forgot who is stuffing Tom's pockets (aka sponsoring) for those garbage articles... Microsoft... So much for fairness. *Toilet flushes

InvalidError

Distinguished
I'm not going to replace $3000 worth of hardware (FPGA development boards) and ~$20 000 worth of software licenses (that I got for free in my academic days) to cash in a $100 discount on stuff I cannot use since the licenses are tied to my old P4. That hardware and software may be ~10 years old but it still gets my personal projects done.

cst1992

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
Either Microsoft are fools or they believe we are fools.$100 discount for a product that's priced $179 higher? Why didn't they be honest atleast and said it's $ -79 discount?And Windows 8 is bad enough.Keep this up, Microsoft, you'll be bankrupt soon.

Jaroslav Jandek

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I'm not going to replace $3000 worth of hardware (FPGA development boards) and ~$20 000 worth of software licenses (that I got for free in my academic days).
Most academic licenses must be upgraded to regular licenses after graduation... If you get caught, you may be in trouble, watch out for that.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
What about companies that don't have the money to upgrade their software so it works in windows 8?.Some of the companies i have as customers do surveying to get new software would cost $60,000+ most of the people holding on to XP are those who need an OS that their software runs on.Upgrading would not be an issue if windows was 100% compatible across each version that is the main problem with upgrading.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
$100 rebate ONLY if you buy their overpriced stuff and spend an extra $119 at the Microsoft store LOL.Looks like a marketing gimmick for the Microsoft store anyone with half a brain would see that for what it is.I have had dozens of returns on machines with windows 8 customer says they hate it unless they fix it to look and feel like XP people will cling to XP till that changes.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Windows XP won't be any more or less secured after April 8th. They release Updates every Tuesday so in nutshell your Windows whether that is XP, 8, Vista or 7 is never secured. Sometimes makes me wonder if they even do anything with those patches or perhaps is just another gimmick. Make sure your firewall and antivirus are up to date and you will be fine...and don't use IE.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
You know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just do the rest of us a favor an put up an air gap between your system and the rest of us. Thanks.

indian-art

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
There is a good chance Linux OS will run well with older hardware with lower specsSwitch to the free, safe, secure & awesome OS: www.ubuntu.com/downloadIts the worlds most popular free OS. It has free upgrades & security updates.For those who like the Windows look, I would recommend: www.kubuntu.com & for older computer with lower specs  www.xubuntu.com or http://lubuntu.net

Status
Not open for further replies.