Microsoft Office 2010's Win7 Integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
While I'm glad Microsoft is doing their best to keep resource consumption low, but was there really any expectation that you'd need a new GPU, CPU, or RAM to edit word documents and excel spreadsheets?

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
The average skill level of most word processor and spreadsheet users (even in corporate settings) rarely exceeds WordPad-like "super typewriter" mode. Most don't know or care about styles or formulas and would rather use web mail. For them, Office takes tool overkill to a whole new level. It's only really useful as a Windows development platform and only if your available developers don't know how to write web apps.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]The average skill level of most word processor and spreadsheet users (even in corporate settings) rarely exceeds WordPad-like "super typewriter" mode. Most don't know or care about styles or formulas and would rather use web mail. For them, Office takes tool overkill to a whole new level. It's only really useful as a Windows development platform and only if your available developers don't know how to write web apps.[/citation]
From a consumer perspective, I completely agree that the Office suite is overkill. Google Docs does most things I need to do. I wonder why nearly every company feels pressured to purchase it for each employee?

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I'm still on office 2000 and have to admit I'm a happy camper - never felt the need to upgrade to 2003 or 2007. The stuff I work with on a daily basis (word, excel, publisher, photodraw) does what I need very well.

If I do upgrade to a new machine with Win7, I probably will move up to office 2010 though, for the sake of compatibility and support. Works 9 is just too limited for me, and I need the functionality of publisher and photodraw.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
I say its just like photoshop. Most people use a very basic level of photoshop, but there are millions of other things you can do with it. They have kept it simple enough to where its advanced, but not confusing. I find that in word 2007, things are very hard to find, and usually very confusing.

I think they should make 2 ways to make a new document, simple and advanced. dont know exact names or anything, but just 2 possibilities. the normal today is way too advanced.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I do not personally know anyone other than myself who even has Office 2007, ha.

Will be neat to see.
What fun will PowerPoint be for kids now? I know I played with it a lot when I was younger.

benreed

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
hi, did you check if search tools also can be used?
i use Lookeen (www.lookeen.com) and it would be great if you could test if it works with outlook 2010 (or sb else?).

thanks in advance!

Ben

benreed

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
hi, did you check if search tools also can be used?
i use Lookeen (www.lookeen.com) and it would be great if you could test if it works with outlook 2010 (or sb else?).

thanks in advance!

Ben

G

I'm looking forward to this office iteration.
I don't know about anyone else, but I use excel a lot and the difference between performance from 2003 to 2007 was much appreciated (I use the tables to do large calculations and such, and 2007 does a better job splitting the work into threads). I'm curious about the new SQL features because for me at least, I' having a hard time creating an xml for a large dataset.

Also.... ABOUT TIME outlook included sms. I've been having to rely on 3rd party solutions to download and archive my texts from my WM smartphone. Maybe they'll reinstate Activsync's capability to sync over bluetooth. One could hope anyway.

G

Whoa, the freakin ribbon takes up over 25% of the window. That sucks for portable users with screens less than 13 inches. Weak, Dude! Totally weak.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
My employer is still on 2003. Did they fix the issue in 2003 where each excel document opened in the same instance of Excel, meaning you couldn't open two documents with the same name, or that closing the excel window of one document closed all your excel documents? It was odd, because Word 2003 would open each document in a new instance of Word, so they were all separate, which was a good thing.

Also, with screens getting short and wider (if I recall, most laptops manufacturers are ditchi 16:10 and going to 16:9), why would Microsoft add more crap to the top of each window? That "ribbon interface" is the largest, bulkiest menubar I have ever seen, in a day when vertical resolution is at a premium. I thought the philosophy of Office 2007 was to reduce Manubar clutter and move things to context menus (right-click, menu-key). I guess they gave up on that and decided to add more crap to the menu bar.

G

I just Hope they can add the features of xobin. This has been the best office add in I have used.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I just hate Ribbon with a burning passion. Everything takes more clicks to do, less screen space is left for the actual document open or email list or sheet, I've lost most of my customization options for toolbars, I can't see all the tools I want at once, I can't float tools, and just give up any hope of 3rd party add-ins for business applications. Explain to me how this is better? Oh, it's just "easier" to use somehow? Then how come every person I've ever talked to about it (from the computer illiterate, to the average user, to the power user, to the developer) always says it's harder to get things done and nothing is where it should be?

I stick with Office 2003 and so do my coworkers, my friends, and my family.

lordfisch

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
You could always hide the Ribbon, and then, amazingly, it looks just like the menu bar of old. Click an item and it displays the appropriately-grouped toolbars in about an inch of screen space, neatly organized by activity. Beats having 12 toolbars constantly open. Resistance to change is natural, but open yourself to the possibility of a better interface and you might end up liking it.

G

I want my tools in the SAME PLACE every time !! Every time !!! I use the same tools again and again. I do not have time to waste trying to figure out where Microsoft's wonderful ribbon has put them this time! That ribbon is crap! I'm never going to buy that ribbon $hit again. Steve Balmer is an idiot.

misasi

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Unlike 95% of comments here i am open to change. At first I did not like office 2007 coming from 2003. Now after figuring out how the ribbon works i prefer it. It is much much easier to create a professional document with ease. Everything is laid out visually which is much better than sub menus through a tool bar.

For those whining about it being complicated. Start[office icons for you babies who couldnt figure it out] > New > BLANK DOCUMENT... Wow so hard my brain hurts.

MrFawlty

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2005
What's with the digital camera shots??? Have you not heard of screenshots? That PrtSc button does a purpose!

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]lordfisch[/nom] Resistance to change is natural, but open yourself to the possibility of a better interface and you might end up liking it.[/citation]I use Office 2007 all day every day at work. I use Word, Excel, Outlook (with Word as editor) all day and have done so for months. I've given it a shot, and am still using it, and I have learned how to do what I need to do with it, but I still hate it. It's slower and requires more clicks to do the same thing, while taking up more screen space.

Sure, some people like it, even love it, and honestly good for them. It's an upgrade then. But I'm rather tired of the response to dislike of the new style being insults (like from misasi above) because we're babies who are idiotically resistant to change. Just because it's new does not make it better, or even as good. Just because I dislike it and find that I can still work faster in 2003 does not mean I haven't given it a good, long shot.

I still hate ribbon and want at least the OPTION to customize my work environment like I used to be able to do. Since when was removing choice an upgrade?

G

I use Office XP (aka 2002) and I like it for what I need it for - althought there is an agrevating bug in excel where when one changes a cell to a 'currency' display I find myself having to perform the change twice in a row for the effect to take!

Status
Not open for further replies.