Microsoft Office 2016 Command Prompt Pop-up Randomly

acps1996

Prominent
May 21, 2017
Hello,

For the past few weeks I've been facing this strange issue where every few minutes, a command prompt shows up and disappear within less than a second. It often tabbed me out of any programs that was using full screen, and make windows inactive which interrupting my typing. This is quite bothersome issue...

I did not managed to get a screenshot, but at some point the command prompt remained on the screen, leading toward to the root directory of Office [strike]16[/strike] 2016, or in some case, default directory of Microsoft Office 365. The command prompt doesn't show anything at all, it just pop up and disappear.

I went to the root folder itself and discovered only 4 items within it.
> OSPP.HTM
> OSPP.VBS
> OSPPREARM.EXE
> SLERROR.XML

Are they even worth anything, can I delete them or no?

Thanks.

acps1996

Prominent
May 21, 2017

It should be. I obtained it as student... Otherwise I wouldn't download the program from the official website.

acps1996

Prominent
May 21, 2017

This is what I found at the time,
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\lync.exe.Manifest".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\UccApi.DLL" on line 1. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is UccApi,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0". Definition is UccApi,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

I am going to venture that somewhere there is 64 bit software where there should be 32 bit software.

I.e., Microsoft Office expects or requires 32 and is only finding 64.

Googled AMD64 and found the following at Wikipedia:

""AMD64" and "Intel 64" redirect here. For the Intel 64-bit architecture in Itanium chips, see IA-64.

Opteron, the first CPU to introduce the x86-64 extensions in 2003
x86-64 (also known as x64, x86_64, AMD64 and Intel 64[note 1]) is the 64-bit version of the x86 instruction set. It supports vastly larger amounts (theoretically, 264 bytes or 16 exabytes) of virtual memory and physical memory than is possible on its 32-bit predecessors, allowing programs to store larger amounts of data in memory. x86-64 also provides 64-bit general-purpose registers and numerous other enhancements. It is fully backward compatible with 16-bit and 32-bit x86 code.[11](p13–14) Because the full x86 16-bit and 32-bit instruction sets remain implemented in hardware without any intervening emulation, existing x86 executables run with no compatibility or performance penalties,[12] whereas existing applications that are recoded to take advantage of new features of the processor design may achieve performance improvements."

Any recent add-ons, driver updates or other known updates?

Further googling turned up the following Skype related link:

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/28954531/Microsoft-Office-Event-Error.html

May be Skype related - or perhaps Lync in your case per the second line of the information you provided. And also suggests a DLL mismatch.

And those OSPP.* files appear to be related to the Office Product keys. Would leave them alone.

Also googled and found UccApi = " Unified Client Communications API (UCC API)". Too deep.....

The suggestion to run sxstrace.exe is suggested. However, I have not used sxstrace and some side "research" made me wonder if doing running systrace.exe is truly applicable. Not sure what may actually happen in your situation.

What OS are you running?

Do you see any other Event Viewer logs that are identical or reference other applications?

If not then the Skype link may be the best lead.

Need to see if the issue can be narrowed down more.

acps1996

Prominent
May 21, 2017

Thank you for responding,

All events are the same, and I don't have skype being installed on my computer at this moment.

I've recently uninstalled Microsoft Office to try and pinpoint the issue. This came with no luck. I'm assuming that something must've happened with my organization's account which preventing the office from validating it.

Brisk67

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016

Open up Task scheduler, then on your right Task Scheduler Library then Microsoft and then Office. Disable OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration and you should be good.

Super_16

Prominent
May 28, 2017

What do you know, I google this and the results are actually recent for once! If I don't get this in another hour, thank you SO MUCH.

Scifigamingmom

Prominent
May 31, 2017
After reading this thread I realized that it was probably Skype giving me the problem. I have Win10. Used the PowerShell to delete Skype (since I've never used it), and in the hour since, I have had no command prompt popups. I don't know anything about coding, but I'm guessing the latest windows update (a few days ago) changed some kind of script or something.

If I start getting that pop up again, I'll go on another search, but for now, I think I'm good.

Here is the link for how to uninstall Skype, and other built-in Windows programs. https://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

Grek69

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

You are a f*cking boss my man, uninstalled Skype in less than a second using this ( Get-AppxPackage *skypeapp* | Remove-AppxPackage ), ty very much my man

richlando

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017
Absolutely a Skype issue where the UccApi.dll has a bug for processor type when running 32 bit Office/Skype. Happens Win 7 and Win10 still looking for solution since MS hasn't or won't fix. Since I use Skype for work uninstalling is not an option.