Microsoft Patent Hints at Possible DVR in Xbox 720

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
"a patent is not an automatic indication of an upcoming product"

It is an automatic indication of future trolling.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Good idea but it would need to be a dual tuner at least. With Sat and OTA it would hopefully cater both otherwise I'll just build my media server. Sony Had a PVR addon for PS3 tho It only handled OTA which doesn't get fully switched on till the end of 2012 here meaning half the channels are patchy especially in bad weather. FreeSat is the only option that properly works here.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
That's all good and nice to have. But I fail to see what is patentable here.
DVRs have been out for a while. Simply combining two existing technologies into one box should not give one a patent.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]feeddagoat[/nom]Good idea but it would need to be a dual tuner at least. With Sat and OTA it would hopefully cater both otherwise I'll just build my media server. Sony Had a PVR addon for PS3 tho It only handled OTA which doesn't get fully switched on till the end of 2012 here meaning half the channels are patchy especially in bad weather. FreeSat is the only option that properly works here.[/citation]
I love it when people say "here"... as if we all know where "here" is for you. Hey, Why don't you come to my house for a party this weekend? I live just over there.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Steps to build my next HTPC:
Step 1: Go online
Step 2: Order XBOX 720

I always figured this would happen. Those playing with Media Center since the 2004 / 2005 days know that there have been a lot of kinks to work out with the hardware and software. But many of those have been worked out now. There are still some rough edges, but the tuners work with cable cards, the EPGs work, DOTA works, etc.

My predictions:
1) A future XBOX will come either cable-ready (has tuner card), or cable-capable (via expansion module)
2) When that happens, MSFT will begin to degrade the current Media Center experience, either by charging for EPG (via XBOX live - style accts), or by neglecting the unpaid version.
3) Future development on Media Center will change direction as well. The XBOX-based tuners will be the core of future systems, and MC-equipped PCs will be media browsers, potentially with remote-tuner control (ala HomeRun or similar network-based tuning).
4) XBOX will be integrated closely with WHS 2011+ for server-based media content storage and sharing

Why?

Because supporting and troubleshooting millions of tuner-enabled PCs with thousands of divergent hardware configs is a PITA. Because trying to straddle the fence of making content owners (who don't want anything stored at all ever), content distributors (who only want content shown on their terms... with lots of forced-view advertising) and content viewers happy is an impossible task. With just one config and one set of features, MSFT can give itself the illusion of taking back control of the system and its features (sageTV notwithstanding).

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Also, the market for HTPCs is small because most people don't want to construct and maintain another computer to get this functionality when they can buy it or rent it from somewhere else. But the market for XBOX is big and about to get even bigger given the introduction of Kinect and the implementation of this DVR concept. Why have a DVR, cable box, gaming console, DVD player, web app browser, etc. when you can just have an XBOX?

If Bill Gates' original vision was a PC on every desktop, then MSFTs vision for XBOX must be a console for every TV. The features they are banking on to expand the market from gamers to the rest of the population are Kinect (for living room based control without a game controller: high WAF), DVR (to replace an existing device and reduce clutter and complexity in the process: high WAF), and features that MSFT serves up via XBOX Live, which will presumably include Skype, FB (very high WAF), and browsing. Suddenly, there is very little reason to ever use a laptop in the living room (very high WAF), and the XBOX becomes the primary point of interaction between people and consumer electronics.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Does their patent include a cablecard slot on the back? The only way a DVR can succeed these days is either by being made by/for the distribution company, or by offering a cablecard interface so that digital cable channels are available. Just offering OTA is pathetic, anything you can DVR from OTA you can get via a streaming service for free anyhow.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]Will it come with the built in standard RRoD feature?[/citation]
spookyman, i know you have several thumbs down (and I prolly will to) but I still lol'd.

Seriously, though, I have 360 but NEVER had it RRoD.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]anarkeygodslam[/nom]Not trying to be a fanboi, but unless the 720 gives us KB/Mouse support, it isn't appealing (to me).[/citation]

This would really be a brilliant idea. I know the 360 can be used with some special mice and most USB keyboards, but to actually make is so the Xbox 720 would work with most keyboards/mice like Windows would be sweet!

If Microsoft is smart enough to do this, a LOT more PC gamer's will start using console too!

G

Hopefully! Recall the box referred to as UltimateTV when I was with Thomson multimedia SA, partnering with Mircosoft and DirecTV.

P. Stephen Lamont
CEO
Iviewit Technologies, Inc.

Namey

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hmmm, posted once before, I'll try again...

DVR on 720 = me cherry picking kill shots to record and sending them to the victims

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]To me, i would think a DVR is kind of step backward....shouldnt MSFT be pushing towards an on demand system, their app library is just starting...i rather not have some recording on my xbox and one more piece that can fail, just let me stream everything... i wouldnt mind watch 1 or 2 30 second commericals for that[/citation]

Well I have had 2 Xbox 360's that had the RRoD. Hopefully Microsoft learned from their mistake from it and decided to use a better heat sink in the new 720.

royale606

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
You guys are right. I haven't purchased a console since PS1, but if the Xbox can beat out my cable company (right now the DVR has 2 tuners) and give me 3 tuners, and/or online storage in addition to a HDD it would be worth the cost for sure.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
if you have to pay to use the dvr function, forget it, i wont buy one out of spite.

if i dont have to pay, and i can hook my pc/ps3 up to it, and record through it, and pull the video off the 360 and move it to the pc... i would pay extra for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.