Microsoft Patents DVR for Game Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

WTf i keep seeing microsoft and google and other large companies patenting anything and everything under the sun. how is it that u can just have an idea for something without any working products or the desire to actually create the product in the near future, yet your able to patent the idea for it and keep anyone else from being able to bring that product to market unless they want to pay the big boys the money to do so. no wonder we are going deeper into debt everyday

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
So this is using one of the Xbox 360's threads. Not too bad of a hit, but would it take away from the gaming significantly? Yes, the 360's CPU is well-suited for video compression (due to it being a PowerPC with very fat vector units) and background tasks, but I'm wondering how it would affect gaming.

G

Other than Sony and Nintendo, both big companies and Nintendo actually leads this generation in consoles sold with the Wii. Thus far, how is anyone going to out game console a Sony, Nintendo or MS if they don't have a huge amount of cash up front?

There is no small company out there paying off the big boys to enter into this particular market. Just saying.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
This patent crap is about as interesting as bamboo shoots getting shoved up my fingernails .. REALLY ? PATENT DVR FOR GAME CONSOLES ? ( I had to read it twice before I threw up!) This patent thing is getting out of hand. NOW it is preventing innovation for the simple reason.. Next thing they are going to patent how you sleep.. how you type and how you MIGHT misspell words. I can understand it if they discovered a new way to make a processor (to a point) but all this frivolous patent for the sake of cornering the market? ( Burn in hell !!!)

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]well we sure can't patent yours. everyone in town has patented her already[/citation]
I had to thumbs up on that one. I had it comin'

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
That's not innovation. That is just consolidating the features of two commonplace devices into one.

Actually, I think this is just a conspiracy to get the people with 4GB consoles to buy the hard drives.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]if MS gets this expect sony to sue. they already tried a PVR type device for the PS3 in japan.[/citation]
it was for the PlayStation 3 I thought it was for 2

But yes Sony was first

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]it was for the PlayStation 3 I thought it was for 2 But yes Sony was first[/citation]

You are very close. It was called the "PSX". But, people like me call the PS1, a PSX.

But the PSX was marketed more as a DVD/DVR player than a PS2 that is a DVR. It wasn't even sold with a controller, only a Remote. If my mind serves me right, it had a 250GB HDD, and could record mannny hours of content. And yes, it was only available in Japan.

skerjil

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
[citation][nom]rabidface[/nom]You are very close. It was called the "PSX". But, people like me call the PS1, a PSX.But the PSX was marketed more as a DVD/DVR player than a PS2 that is a DVR. It wasn't even sold with a controller, only a Remote. If my mind serves me right, it had a 250GB HDD, and could record mannny hours of content. And yes, it was only available in Japan.[/citation]

He's right, Sony has 2 of these for the PS3 currently in circulation, they're just not available in the States. PlayTV is in Europe and Torne is in Japan, they both support remote play from the PSP and the latter just recently got an update to support Vita. They should have pushed these in other territories or hell, made a PS3 bundle package already.

hairystuff

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
The PS3 does have the PlayTV usb hardware in europe which records DVB-T to hard disc and even allows the recordings to be transfered to a external usb drive, all this before MS had it running on consoles.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I have enough devices that play/record TV, play blu-ray, browse the internet, etc.....
I really wish the console makers would just focus on a machine for PLAYING GAMES!
Am I alone on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.