Microsoft Releases Tweaks, Performance Update For Surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

kryzzay

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Wow 331.5mb of updates for Windows 8 Pro. KB2769165 weighing in at 163.3mb and KB2770917 at 142.9mb plus numerous normal size ones. Pretty big Microsoft!

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
yay for updates! On the one hand it is good to know that I am being kept up to date, while on the other hand I fear reinstalling the system down the road...
My winXP and win7 discs are both launch discs.... and oh boy, the updates after a clean install take FOREVER!

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]kryzzay[/nom]Wow 331.5mb of updates for Windows 8 Pro. KB2769165 weighing in at 163.3mb and KB2770917 at 142.9mb plus numerous normal size ones. Pretty big Microsoft![/citation]I'm just happy Microsoft actively supports their software and hardware with regular updates. My dad has a Surface, and its pretty damn nice to use. Performance and battery life already seemed pretty good prior to this update, multitasking is flawless. It also worked beautifully with his wireless Brother 3070CW laser printer, out of the box.

With that said, if I was in the market for a high-end tablet I'd personally prefer a Surface Pro or other Win8 x86 tablet. That way I can run legacy stuff like old games and emulators for old consoles. :) But for his purposes, WinRT does everything he needs and then some. It has basically replaced his desktop. The full size USB port has come in handy for accessing external HDDs and USB memory sticks. We have family with retina iPads, and he prefers the Surface. Oh, and he owns a Galaxy Nexus, and before that a Droid, so he's far from opposed to Google devices. The Surface was just a nice unit, and I think MS Office helped steer him in that direction.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]yay for updates! On the one hand it is good to know that I am being kept up to date, while on the other hand I fear reinstalling the system down the road...My winXP and win7 discs are both launch discs.... and oh boy, the updates after a clean install take FOREVER![/citation]Slipstreaming is your friend! Although, with recent releases of Windows, I find that I hardly ever need to do a clean install. I've got some really old OS installs that still work great. I've got one box with WinXP x64, which is built on Server 2003, with a very old OS install that still works great. I think the hardware will break down before the OS needs a reinstall.

The last time I wiped a drive and reinstalled wasn't because the OS became sluggish by normal means. They had found themselves one of the nastiest trojans I've ever seen, that was very difficult to remove cleanly. So it was actually faster to backup vital data and wipe the HDD, than to spend the time fighting with it.

After all, even though updating can take quite a while, it doesn't need much babysitting to download and install updates. I don't really count letting it download crap and install it while I'm doing something else as time invested.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
So MS does it's regular 2nd Tuesday of the month update, as it has done every month without fail since before the pyramids were built, and it has items relevant to all products including old and new
Why is this news?
Newsflash! Christmas will fall on December 24th again this year, major drama...

G

Known issue installing kb2769165... MS is working on a fix to allow it to install on more computers.... so far no fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.