Microsoft Reportedly Looking to Buy Nokia's Phone Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Neither one of these companies makes any hardware that I would want, and being in bed with each other isn't going to help that.

G

love the move plus adding rimm in the mix make microsoft pretty dang powerful from a patent perspective too,have been saying this for a while already microsoft,nokia plus rimm and w8 integration

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
MSFT makes is own successful game console, why not cellphone. It would also give MSFT more access to all of Nokia patent.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
I've used only Nokia phones for 10 years and I love their products. If Nokia is to be swallowed my Microsoft, I hope they at least keep their good standards.

Au revoir Nokia!

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I'll believe this rumor when I see it happen. This rumor has been around since Nokia announced the switch to WP7.

If it happens, it will be a well orchestrated takeover. However companies will be very reluctant to hire ex-Microsoft VPs in the future out of fear of being gutted.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Dropping the Nokia name; could than mean Microsoft will than offer the re-branded mPhone with Win 8, or maybe wPhone :)

I am sure Apple is watching the proceedings closely !

njt

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
obviously the real value behind this acquisition really are the patents, not the business. then when they fail, again, with the next version of the windows phone platform, they can fold the business and "innovate by suing". it would certainly make them more money than they're making now out of the partnership. what really bothers me though is not knowing for sure whether elop ever truly believed that windows phone would present them with a viable business model or whether it was all just a pre-acquisition scheme (to further de-value nokia stock?). could they have really been that naive? ironically, some late nokia models like the lumia, are handsome devices, i would have bought one if it had run android.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]Neither one of these companies makes any hardware that I would want, and being in bed with each other isn't going to help that.[/citation]

The basic Micro$oft Mouse is actually not all bad.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm really not liking the vertical integration happening in consumer electronics hardware the last few years. I want separate OS and hardware companies. I want freedom to choose.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I'm really not liking the vertical integration happening in consumer electronics hardware the last few years. I want separate OS and hardware companies. I want freedom to choose.[/citation]

Yes, good point.
Remember the Amiga ? Nothing good comes of a Manufacturer owning the Hardware and the OS. You just end up with an overpriced box (albeit a good one in this case) and compatibility problems to no end.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom][/nom]Google is following with the acquisition of Motorola[/citation]

That's too bad. I always liked motorola. But if they are going to be owned by google I will never buy one again.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
This is interesting, future hand held and desktops software will get more seemliness in the future. Imagine install and use the same software on both handheld and computer and share the same data pool and it would seem MS is aiming at just that. Same API's ect that would allow the software developers to do true multi platform software without the need to do specific code for each. If intel manage to get their atoms down to true hand held power budget i bet the next nokia phoone will feature it if MS takes em over.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Rantoc[/nom]This is interesting, future hand held and desktops software will get more seemliness in the future[/citation]
"seemliness" ?!

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Rantoc[/nom]This is interesting, future hand held and desktops software will get more seemliness in the future. Imagine install and use the same software on both handheld and computer and share the same data pool and it would seem MS is aiming at just that. Same API's ect that would allow the software developers to do true multi platform software without the need to do specific code for each. If intel manage to get their atoms down to true hand held power budget i bet the next nokia phoone will feature it if MS takes em over.[/citation]XNA is insane in that regards. They managed to make it decently easy to port games between different Microsoft platforms

drfan

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I used mostly Nokia phones in the past but stop buying any since they drop MeeGo and went Windows exclusive. I never buy a product from a company who try tell consumer what they want instead listen to what they want.

Feel so sad seeing an iconic brand goes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.