Microsoft Shuts Down Rustock Botnet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgillispie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
[citation][nom]hanrak[/nom]So by your logic it would be acceptable to read a major broadsheet newspaper like the times or the telegraph riddled with grammatical errors because the journalist is not expected to use correct spelling only report? How about a news reader on the BBC or a journalist in the field reporting live using slang? Give me a break.[/citation]

Your analogy doesn't work. Newspapers use Copy Editors to take the content provided by journalists and put it in print or on the web.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
The problem if I recall was that Botnet nodes are designed to "fall back" onto other IP or domain names depending on an algorithm. If the main C&C servers are taken out, it falls back to some other domain that the hackers just need to register as a domain. Heck, with a stolen credit card they can register hundreds of domains, rent servers, and not care one whit.

Keep in mind, this was the practice a couple years ago. The botnet nodes are likely just waiting to dial home to a new server the hackers set up, and they'll be right back in business same as before.

When they start getting people arrested in the countries they hide out (likely bribing officials and police to not arrest them), then maybe I'll call a victory. Till then this is just sweeping up debris.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]hanrak[/nom]So by your logic it would be acceptable to read a major broadsheet newspaper like the times or the telegraph riddled with grammatical errors because the journalist is not expected to use correct spelling only report? How about a news reader on the BBC or a journalist in the field reporting live using slang? Give me a break.[/citation]

In short yes. First of all the bbc does use slang anyway, so why not live as well. Second, if something's to be published in written form and expected to be read by a considerable amount of people, I do expect the company to have a person in charge of spell checking and proof reading. I don't know about the telegraph, but even our low volume danish newspapers do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.