Microsoft Slings Mud at Google's New Policy with "Gmail Man"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]supall[/nom]Ummm...misleading much? I think so.[/citation]
Misleading, yes. Downright lying, also yes. I'm not well versed in libel law, but this video is so false that seems like it should be illegal.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Gmail scans and processes all messages using fully automated systems in order to [...] show relevant ads

Google just told exactly what Microsoft was wanting them to do.

I don't like MSFT's hypocrisy on the issue, but such campaigns can indeed alert people that their online privacy is not private at all.

ahnilated

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
My question is with Microsoft's track record how could they sling mud on anyone and be believed? They are a criminal organization and have been proved so in court. In my eyes they are still doing criminal things and just paying the right people not to be back in court.

spasmolytic46

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
This is why I'm paying for a Virtual Private Server. Best 15 bucks a month I ever spent. I mean hell, that's 3 fancy coffee's + tip...

krowbar

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
So, since it's Google, people are ok with them scanning their emails?
I really don't understand all this google 'love'.

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
The video blows things out of proportion and is relying on hysterics to turn users off of Gmail, but it is quite funny all the same.

I stayed away from Gmail for a few years because I didn't like the idea of their bots reading my mail to advertise to me. My opinion quickly changed after the DOJ started asking all the search companies to turn over their search data in order to "fight terrorism." Much to my surprise, most search companies (including the one supplying my email at the time) happily handed over the data without complaints. Only Google and a small handful of others actually demanded that the DOJ go through legal channels and force the data from them with a subpoena.

Eventually that did happen, as I recall, and even Google was forced to turn over the data in the end, but at least they fought the issue first, instead of merrily going along with it. I switched to Gmail shortly afterwards. Whatever those ad bots might be doing in my mail, it's not nearly as bad as what some people in the government might do if given free access.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Misleading, yes. Downright lying, also yes. I'm not well versed in libel law, but this video is so false that seems like it should be illegal.[/citation]

it is, but google cant sue them because if ever taken to court it would be seen more in parody, because it uses comedy instead of bold face lieing. the best google could do is get it taken down but its already on the interent and going after then would make them seam like thats really what they do...

i will never understand what people have such a problem with. i send 1 email every 2 or 3 days, some times more some times far less, if anyone seriously believes people read every email coming and going, they should be commited.

if people have a problem with email being filtered for spam and such... stop using any online mailing solution? send all your messages in an encrypted rar, and make sure the message is an image and the image is a qr code and make sure that the qrcode uses 3 forms of real world cryptography and is written in piglatin at the very end, at that point its possible that no one can read your message.

i mean really, a computer sees my inbox, puts up an add based on keywords... fine i don't care... i have 5 addresses and i use a few as an online locker between me and a few friends for sending each other large files, this was before download services though...

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]Google just told exactly what Microsoft was wanting them to do.I don't like MSFT's hypocrisy on the issue, but such campaigns can indeed alert people that their online privacy is not private at all.[/citation]
You realize that every email company that does automatic spam and virus scanning is basically opening your mail yes? No ones online privacy is private, it does not exist, at every single step of the way there are companies and people who can (at any time) access ANYTHING you do online. Online privacy is mostly a fantasy unless you control every machine between your home and the end computer including the pipe that all the data goes through. If you do not have control over it then someone else does and they also have control of your info.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
To be fair, I've seen these sort of things happen. As soon as I started emailing my friend in aussie. BAM! "Travel to Australia cheap" adverts came up

webdev511

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2005
Wow, so digging up a video that was first shown at the 2010 partner conference is "new mudslinging" ?

Sorry folks, just because this is the first time you've seen it, doesn't make it new. Not even close.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
"Got his nose in every colon" lol

This is an absolutely fantastic video, just too bad the office 365 is in it.

Would have been better if MS didn't directly affiliate themselves with the video, and instead their appropriate ads were displayed when viewed.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
thing is i dont want there adds. the reason i use google as my home page is because its add free... theres enough adds on tv without me being force fed them every time i log in to my mail reader... i get enough spam emails already because of these bots...

so no thanx... i dont want em so give me the opportunity to opt out of it please...

i suggest that if you get any adds directed at you specifically that you click junk then set them as phising scams... that way they get blocked and wont even appear in your junk folder.
seriously these companies scanning your emails even with bots is an invasion of privacy...
so get out my email folder and stop taking short cuts to get me to look at adds i dont want to see anyway...
if i want a holiday i will go look for holiday providers, same with anything else i may want... i will look for it when i want it, i dont need to be told every 5 mins that i need this or that a bot took a keyword... seriously invade my privacy so you can advertise to me??? im sure theres gonna be laws against that... if there isnt already...
after all you would object if a postie opens your mail and saw you are paying a loan back. he decides to send you his loan companies info because they have lower rates... how long b4 he ends up in court...

in the uk junk mail has gotten so bad that the postmen are delivering it instead of legitimate letters... at 1 time you could post a letter at 9am and by 12pm the next day it would be at its destination... today your lucky if it gets there within a week... why? because the posties bag is full of junk mail which is getting priority over real letters...

privacy is a right of every 1 and GMail is discarding it, because they claim you signed up to it...but if you dont agree you cant access your email, yay google......
im pretty sure thats blackmail...

rant over :p

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
that was absolutely hilarious! "When a person loves their Gmail very much, the two of them get together and....an ad is born." "EEEEWWWW" XD

Status
Not open for further replies.