Microsoft: Sorry, No Refunds For Minecraft Xbox Edition

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Me. I have a Sony 61" SDTV that is nearly 15 years old. Still works fine. If it ain't broke, why fix it?[/citation]

It has nothing to do with being broken or not, it has to do with being obsolete.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
These lesser-thans don't deserve refunds and need to get a tv set consistent with the century they are living in. Seriously, the seven people this affected need to just suck it up and upgrade their sets, or take the $20 dollar hit like a man and move on.

Not that it matters; if they weren't bitching about this, they would definitely be bitching about something else, as poor people typically need a cause to attach themselves to, to feel like they matter or that anyone cares about them.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Me. I have a Sony 61" SDTV that is nearly 15 years old. Still works fine. If it ain't broke, why fix it?I do not own a XBOX 360. I think I was done with console gaming after the first XBOX, but I do like to read about consoles, still. Besides, the next XBOX (720), apparently won't even be powerful enough to run Unreal Engine 4. I wish we would just ditch consoles all together, and that each of the current console makers find a different niche in PC gaming, whether it'd be hardware or software.[/citation]

That must be like 20PPI, unless your sitting a mile back it must be so burly? When you see a 60" plasma and look back at that TV you will consider it broke!

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Anyone gaming on a XBOX360 with a old non 720P+ TV needs to be shanked, Money spent on games can easily pay for a TV, I see 42" HDTV at Walmart for $450 FFS!

Some people are so... cheap they don't look at the big picture. lets blow $60 over and over again on games and not replace my 30 year old TV!

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]A lot of people still don't, have HDTV's especially when you factor in the entire world. A lot of people are still happy with their CRT based TV's and don't feel the need to go out and buy an HDTV. Not to mention not everyone in the world can go out and afford a brand new HDTV either so they make do with what they have.[/citation]

You don't need to factor in the entire world, just the portion that can afford a $200 gaming console and $60 video games.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]I feel pity for those gaming on CRTs.[/citation]
A couple years ago I was going to buy a 2048x1536 resolution 20" CRT...

G

[citation][nom]kewlx25[/nom]you don't need to factor in the entire world...[/citation]

You are 100% correct; however, that will not prevent the morons here from voting you down. It is common for poor people to look down on those who are successful.

Apple makes it extremely easy to get a refund on an app purchase. If it was Apple and not Microsoft, people would already have refunds.

More companies should be like Apple! They are the good guys!

dribblesbarbax

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]nintendo64 wants to have a word with you. apparently you never played perfect dark or goldeneye. those 5 pound phones had better microphones and speakers than current smartphones, and no matter how you held it, you didnt lose signal... i would take one of those if they still worked over a current cellphone because you could drive WAY out of range of current cellphones and still get a crystal clear signal. not to mention that to get hd channels, you have to pay close to 100$ a month for cable bill, or you get a FAR cheaper plan, and its sd... but sd looks like crap on an hd tv, and if i only have sd programming, i would rather use my 27 inch crt over my 24 inch monitor. only reason i have an hd anything is because i watched enough crap that went wide screen that it made sense to get a new monitor, otherwise i would still be useing my 17 inch crt[/citation]

My friend had to take back Dead Rising to the game store because the in-game text on his SDTV was incomprehensible. So I'd imagine it would be awful in 4-way split-screen for Minecraft where you rely on small icons for information.

killerchickens

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Does anyone here remember how shitty the most of the older hd tvs look compared to a crt. The economy collapsed my 34 inch crt with component plugins looks alot better than most cheap hd tvs.
I do have an hd tv but all those saying that everyone should have an hd tv should mail out checks to people that can't afford one.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
BTW, electronics appear to be on the cheaper side in the USA, the rest of the world has to pay a higher premium. For example, our 32" 720p LED-LCD TV cost us about $560 around December.

So yeah, not that cheap for everyone to move on to full HD stuff.

tk1138

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
wow typical posts from retards here....according to some of the posts here its as if you people think that those using old technology dont deserve to be alive

i mean post after post of retarded crap, about how its the consumers fault for buying a product that was advertised to work a certain way, but neglected to include certain requirements for these features to work....hmmmm

i cant believe anyone is taking Microsoft side on this one...i guess its the consumers fault the requirements for certain features were not posted....

what morons....this website gets more retarded as the years pass...

i wonder what half of you people think when you see individuals driving around older cars....

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Me. I have a Sony 61" SDTV that is nearly 15 years old. Still works fine. If it ain't broke, why fix it?I do not own a XBOX 360. I think I was done with console gaming after the first XBOX, but I do like to read about consoles, still. Besides, the next XBOX (720), apparently won't even be powerful enough to run Unreal Engine 4. I wish we would just ditch consoles all together, and that each of the current console makers find a different niche in PC gaming, whether it'd be hardware or software.[/citation]

Congrats on the TV. Current TVs are generally built like crap to last just past the warranty, if that.
UE4 will run on next gen consoles according to Tims weeney, which only makes sense cuz otherwise they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.
Your last comment abt. niche marketing doesn't make sense. You want a PC made by sony with software by MS? That already exists..
As to the topic at hand, what abt. trying a demo 1st. I believe that since the XB360 spec manual states SD and HD that all games should be made to work all resolutions stated and then if the game looks crappy at 480i maybe the consumer will ponder upgrading. However...with regards to tech, consumers need to do some research or rely on the relative who knows how to program the VCR, or be the victim of lazy porting.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Man if people still don't have enough money to afford one they just are not looking very hard at all. I look on craigslist all the time and theirs HDTV's that are 720p going for 30-50$ depending on the size and i just got a blackfriday TV for 298$ the other year 1080p 40" by sitting outside. HDTV's are so ridiculously easy to obtain that saying you don't have enough money for one is just a cop out nowadays since you could buy 4 packs of smokes or a TV.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
yea really you can get a no name LCD HDTV for under 500 bucks now. there is no excuse for complaining about crap like this.

those retards can have all the old tech they want but suing them just makes them look like stupid old men that should be in an old folks home.

plus its MS what else would you expect from them

FAIL all around

G

I am pretty sure that would break advertising rules in my country by not explaining pre-purchase that some customers would not get access to the full set of game features without owning specific hardware.
It would also break the rules on refunding people if they were only offering MS points instead of cash when they have mis-sold somebody something.

Integr8d

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]A couple years ago I was going to buy a 2048x1536 resolution 20" CRT...[/citation]

Agreed. I'm astounded by how many people here think CRT = standard def... My Sony 34XBR960 was a 200lbs, Super Fine Pitch CRT with industry leading black levels, HDMI input and would scale anything up to 1080i with amazement. Plasma didn't catch up, until the Pioneer Kuro Elites. LCD still sucks the wang in black points.

My 30" Unity Motion CRT was spec'd by Joe Kane on the ATSC board. How many CRT's would drive all 13 formats of broadcast HDTV (including 720P)? One.

Currently rocking a JVC RS25 onto a 110" screen. 50,000:1 native contrast at 14fL, dialed in with a Photo Research PR670... Lol Plasma, LCD. Noobs just don't know.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]gilbertfh[/nom]Really? How is this Microsoft's fault?[/citation]

It isn't Microsoft's fault directly. But they are the method to purchasing the item in question.
Because they took the money that is where the refund would logically come from.

Lets imagine this as another item say a digital camera and your at Best Buy. The box of the camera is misleading at best and advertises features you think you are getting but actually are incapable of such in its vanilla state. After you purchase it and go home and find out you were mislead naturally you go back to Best Buy, and explain the issue and try to return the item.

Any respectful company would acknowledge the issue and take back the item and give a full return. You should always try to do right by your costumer. Microsoft isn't doing this however. All that needs to be done is give refunds to those who wish such and then put a clear and informative requirement for the 4 player coop mode,

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]yea really you can get a no name LCD HDTV for under 500 bucks now. [/citation]
Every single person on this forum who made a post like this is a complete buffoon. You are missing the entire point of the controversy and would be better served sticking your head in the microwave.

Status
Not open for further replies.