Microsoft Source Claims Xbox 720 Arriving in 2013

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Poor kid, trained for inferior gaming from the childhood[/citation]
He just turned 7 years old. He does like playing it at other people's home and its physical... and its $120 brand new. When I get a PS3 or PS4 (since PC gaming has gone to crap), he'll be able to use it... it'll be on the main TV.

Besides, he has his own desktop PC: AMD PII Quad core, 4GB DDR2 and an ATI 4670 video card... so he's doing pretty good on that end.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
All of you complaining that the console holds back the PC games need to divert your anger towards your game makers. It is their laziness and greed that they do not provide what they should to the PC industry.

Graphics are minor, they ALWAYS do graphics at extremely high resolutions. The hardware is then left to do the rendering - as it should be.

Game play is the big issue and when developers ignore the PC and design games for both the consoles and PC using pretty much one model for both, that is their greed and laziness being implemented. That is not the fault of console hardware being years old.

The reality of it is that we can have consoles that last years and developers can cater to them as well as the latest and greatest PC's by separating the 2 when they need to be separated.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
It seems everyone here wants a PC for gaming. However, you are in the minority group of which game developers do not care about. There is a reason why most viruses are written for Windows platform, its the biggest target. Why would a game developer spend time on a PC game when it too is a small market without a guarantee on investment?

As for others here that believe game console makers should make upgradable parts like video cards, look back at Sega and the Genesis platform... They started with the 16Bit Genesis, then added the Sega CD module, then added the 32X. The later became a major flop for them even though it extended color palette and processing power. This also caused fragmentation in the games for that system. No one in the industry is willing to take that chance, this is one of the things that killed Sega which is now just another developer....

ksharp25

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
"No single device has put all the entertainment people want in the living room in one place like this...."

Dear Microsoft,

Here are the absolute NON-NEGOTIABLE items that MUST be in the new console to truly fit you above goal.

1.) Future minded CPU and GPUs (take page from Sony) that will stand the test of time for another 8 - 10 years. Your 360 has some really nice looking games and developers have really pushed the edge with some game engines, but...you show your age now. Esp next to what PS3 games have been doing in the last 2 years.

2.) Full 1080p capability and HDMI port

3.) built in Wi-Fi, no adapters, no "extras" that need purchased

4.) Go back to the side or top mounted easily upgraded changed HDDs.

5.) BLU-RAY capability. Sorry Microsoft, it won. Its here and its staying. If you truely want a single source box that I play games, connect to your online community, watch TV via your partners, and Netflix etc and use your box for my entertainment needs, that needs to include home video and thats Blu-Ray

6.) Last but NOT least...FULL backward compatibility with previous Xbox and 360 libraries. Again take a page from Sony's early model, there is a reason its successful I can play my PS1 and PS2 games on it as well as the new hotness.

If you can do all that, I promise you while we may go ZOMG at first, we will all come around and gladly pay even $500 for that if need be (but all the above for $399.99 should be possible).

Thank You for hearing us

Sincerely,

Your Devoted XBox360 user base

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]digitalzom-b[/nom]New console hardware = Better PC games? God I hope so...[/citation]

Quite literally the only reason I get excited for new consoles. So developers stop screwing PC users with ports that were developed on nearly decade old CPU and GPU processors.

It seems everyone here wants a PC for gaming. However, you are in the minority group of which game developers do not care about.

Obviously the majority of people here want consoles to be on par with PCs. IT'S A PC NEWS BASED WEBSITE. We want developers to design their games from the PC side standpoint ground up. We don't want your crappy ports or your artificially decayed textures. We want more companies to be like DICE and keep the PC user in mind. Just because we enjoy the hobby of tinkering with PC's and pushing our systems as much as we can as well as other things, doesn't mean we have to settle for ports and "just deal with it". Video games originated on the PC and is here to stay.

There is a reason why most viruses are written for Windows platform, its the biggest target. Why would a game developer spend time on a PC game when it too is a small market without a guarantee on investment?

Huh? What does making games have anything to do with viruses? Try wrapping your little head around this article: http://www.destructoid.com/pc-vs-console-gaming-infographic-pc-is-making-a-comeback-212611.phtml

Please, if anything the console bronachos are jumping ship for web browser games or going over to live streaming services that are run off a computer anyways.

/rant off

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
It's that time again.... you know when MS puts it's foot in Apples axx as apple stays proprietary and tries too hard to control it's eco-system, it's cool in the get go before the industry adopts standards, but once again MS will rule the roost.

bender3000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]It's that time again.... you know when MS puts it's foot in Apples axx as apple stays proprietary and tries too hard to control it's eco-system, it's cool in the get go before the industry adopts standards, but once again MS will rule the roost.[/citation]

Agreed, but I predict a greater likelihood that it will be flame war between Sony and MS fan-boys over who will have the best next-gen console.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]giovanni86[/nom]Well there goes the 2012 hype, on to my 2012 PC build which will crush the xbox 720 even if comes out a year after. I was really hoping for a 2012 release, not that i wouldn't have built a PC in that time frame as well just would of made more sense, these long life cycles are really slowing down the industry as a whole since consoles control the market on innovation. Its like buying a Honda and getting the same model with the same features for 8 years.. Ridiculous.[/citation]
You checked out Honda lately? Kind of what's going on.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
"... E3 2012 (June) while the company releases the Xbox SDK and reveals a 3rd-generation Kinect device...."

What? Where's the 2nd generation Kinect device? How much is this new XBox 720 going to cost? How much will the games for it cost?

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
[citation][nom]secolliyn[/nom]It is about time but I think they are doing it all wrong again and they will most likely continue doing it wrong... Now I'm not saying I know how they should be done but I have a few ideas that could make things better#1 Bring out a base console every 10 yearsReason: With so many cores they will have on Chip you really don't need that much more horsepower PC these days don't use all 4 Cores let alone an I7 920 with Hyper-threading simulating 8 Cores#2 with in those 10 years once a year release a user upgradeable video cardReason: This will stop the gap we are seeing now consoles are 12 Generations behind what PC builders can get and by the time new consoles come out we will be looking at 14-15 GensThis is how they can be Easily Implemented have 3 Choices Good, Better ,Best when the new line comes up get rid of Good shift those down and add one more powerful card as best.Next so you don't confuse peopleRank Video games on said system a 1.1 would be launch video cards at least the Good video card to play where as a 1.3 would be launch video cards Best video card in lineup with the next cards come out 2.X,3.X Ect Ect EctThis will lead to better consoles it may put more pressure on Game makers but they are big boys they can handle it and it gives them a better market for gamesWe all have friends that praise consoles for what good graphics they have.... all of my friends have been over and seen what my 5770 can show with with Tessellation enabled and they are blown away and they always ask the same question When will my PS3/XBOX be able to do that? and i tell them wait until the PS4/Next xbox and then maybe it will be able to do it[/citation]

Your 5770 blows them away... lol.... I feel bad for you....

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Windows 8 as the basis for a gaming console? That's like putting a v10 engine in a car with the aerodynamics of a brick. It doesn't matter how much horsepower you put out, you'll never get that brick to a high top speed.

Sony will bury them. When the software is so slow and inefficient like Windows, you need a lot more power to match much leaner software designed for one purpose, like Sony should have. Windows bloat and gas will take a terrible toll on any hardware that suffers from it.

I guess it saves on development costs, but, they must be crazy. They'll have big problems keeping up with the Wii U.

It's probably the end for Microsoft's gaming division. Sony is probably laughing, and popping the champagne after reading they'll be competing against the Microsoft bloat and inefficiency of Windows.

Brandon S

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Windows 8 as the basis for a gaming console? That's like putting a v10 engine in a car with the aerodynamics of a brick. It doesn't matter how much horsepower you put out, you'll never get that brick to a high top speed. Sony will bury them. When the software is so slow and inefficient like Windows, you need a lot more power to match much leaner software designed for one purpose, like Sony should have. Windows bloat and gas will take a terrible toll on any hardware that suffers from it. I guess it saves on development costs, but, they must be crazy. They'll have big problems keeping up with the Wii U. It's probably the end for Microsoft's gaming division. Sony is probably laughing, and popping the champagne after reading they'll be competing against the Microsoft bloat and inefficiency of Windows.[/citation]

They said it was going to be similar to windows 8. They have already done this with the Xbox 360 with their recent update. So unless they are going to make the 720 less capable than the 360 I'm sure its going to run just fine.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Brandon S[/nom]Sounds good. Hopefully they overhauled it compared to the 360 and again hopefully it will have a much lower failure rate that the 360.[/citation]

im waiting on a 360 emulator, god knows that wont fail as hard as the 360s do, i had 7... what the hell did microsoft do to make them fail so often? when my current one fails, im not fixing it, and im holding off completely for emulators.

[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Sick of new trend to base games around the controls - touchscreen, accelerometer, gyroscope, Kinect... FFS, I only want games with graphics, gameplay and storyline, I don't give a $h!t about how "cool" and "innovative" the controller is. So screw you, 720, but then again, did I expect anything different?[/citation]

i care about gameplay, and thats it. if its fun, ill play it. and every time i read a comment about graphics, i just home the 720 uses a less powerful gpu than the wiiu just to watch graphics people squirm.

--------------

all the next xbox needs is this... tessellation support,
tessellation will be the end all of gpu hardware, and once 20 mill pollies on screen is possible with even modest hardware, we wont need more advancement because we wouldn't see the difference.

go on though, tell us how we want a pc to require 3gpus and a 12 core cpu to barely play a game at 15fps

go on

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I hope it's better than GTX580s in Triple SLI mode and fully capable of playing games taking full advantage of the Unreal 4 engine.I also hope they change the name a bit. "720" might look a bit "dated", as it pertains to resolution. Maybe the XBOX 1080?Hopefully it will have: Kinect built in, backward compatibility with XBOX and XBOX 360 gamesAlso, I hope they port more XBOX games (like the newer versions of Halo) to PC.[/citation]u know what? I think I am being too optimistic about 720 having GPU better than my GTX570, I gonna take back my statement, let alone triple 580 SLO. knowing that rumor said Wii U have an Aged GPU similar to Radeon 48xx. I think 720 will 720 will have only Radeon 5800 at best.

When PSX came out, it has GPU much more powerful than PC, When PS2 came out it has GPU equal the PC. When PS3/Xbox 3 is out they have performance a generation behind. Now... 720, I just couldnt imaging how much weaker by the time they release it. Radeon 7970 is just around the corner, it is said to have 30% better than 580.

G

I'm going to buy my kid a Super Nintendo from a kiosk from the local mall. Make sure he's raised right, to appreciate a good game when he see's one. Take for example, MW3! A great marketing campaign led to millions of NOOBS buying it. Same engine, same graphics, same gameplay, but slightly different changes, and a new 3 at the end of it instead of 2! LOL, noobs. I can't believe they waited to so long to scam so many noobs. Call of Duty used to have great single player campaigns, but now, it's terrible. Multiplayer shooters now will always be about making money for the publishers, not great gameplay. Counter-strike 1.6 will always be king of the ring. Any genius like me will never let my kids play trash games like COD and become terrible at distinguishing crap from awesomeness. Please teach your kids to not drink and drive. Don't start a campfire during the dry season. And don't keep buying crap games from terrible publishers, aka Activision. They haven't made a good game since....since.....???? remember Turok...no, that was pretty boring.....okay they haven't made a good game since... Go volunteer at your local homeless shelter and buy games that don't suck balls. The reason for 8-10 year lifecycles is because noobs keep on buying crappy hardware and software, thus there is no need for Sony and Microsoft to innovate and push out new hardware so fast. PC hardware is lightyears ahead of consoles this generation, and maybe the next too, unless consumers demand better. Supply and demand...supply and demand folks.

Brandon S

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]joe joe too slow[/nom]I'm going to buy my kid a Super Nintendo from a kiosk from the local mall. Make sure he's raised right, to appreciate a good game when he see's one. Take for example, MW3! A great marketing campaign led to millions of NOOBS buying it. Same engine, same graphics, same gameplay, but slightly different changes, and a new 3 at the end of it instead of 2! LOL, noobs. I can't believe they waited to so long to scam so many noobs. Call of Duty used to have great single player campaigns, but now, it's terrible. Multiplayer shooters now will always be about making money for the publishers, not great gameplay. Counter-strike 1.6 will always be king of the ring. Any genius like me will never let my kids play trash games like COD and become terrible at distinguishing crap from awesomeness. Please teach your kids to not drink and drive. Don't start a campfire during the dry season. And don't keep buying crap games from terrible publishers, aka Activision. They haven't made a good game since....since.....???? remember Turok...no, that was pretty boring.....okay they haven't made a good game since... Go volunteer at your local homeless shelter and buy games that don't suck balls. The reason for 8-10 year lifecycles is because noobs keep on buying crappy hardware and software, thus there is no need for Sony and Microsoft to innovate and push out new hardware so fast. PC hardware is lightyears ahead of consoles this generation, and maybe the next too, unless consumers demand better. Supply and demand...supply and demand folks.[/citation]

You are correct about Modern Warfare 3 not being as good as it could have been, but you have got to be the stupidest person I have ever heard post anything on the internet ever. Calling everyone that buys modern warfare 3 noobs and basically calling every one of them stupid. Who do you think you are. And then calling yourself a genius. If you were actually a genius you would have created a game better than Modern Warfare 3 yourself. But since your not you just bitch and moan and call everyone else that doesn't agree with you an idiot. As far as what i can see your basically pointing a finger at everyone else with three fingers pointing back at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.