Microsoft Staff Confirm Xbox Next Gen in LinkedIn Profiles

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
In some ways even though most of us hate 3D gaming it might be that as the industry seem intent on pushing it that this will lead to the consoles needing more performance.
I'm sure they will have to be 1080P minimum for the next gen and if they are hoping to throw out higher frame rate for 3d gaming then that will require some more serous hardware.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Maybe but current figures for 3D movie attendance and sales of 3DTVs have gone down the toilet which once again proves that 3D (until there is a major quantum leap in technology) is once again pushed back into the gimmick closet for another 20 years.

It will either have been part of the nextgen 360's spec since inception or will have been dropped. I dont think its a deal breaker for the public at large. I think there are greater and more useful features to concentrate on.

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Next Gen Focus:
-------------------------
GPU performance 3->4 orders of magnitude faster. (That's 16x's faster)

Full DX-nex-gen compliant

1080p 2x AA 60fps+ required. (Close to what's required now)

3D 1080p support with 60fps+ (HDMI 1.4a spec) (Required double the GPU power)

Gen 2 Kinect with improved sensors.- higher res, quicker response

Improved voice command recognition during games. Requires improved sound isolation algorithm...more horsepower.

API's to support Math/AI/Decoding functions in GPU (IE: Physics calculations (Havok, what have you))

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
I forgot:

XBox live services where you can use your windows phone as a remote, and continue your XBox Live XDNA game on your phone after you leave the big console. True "take it with you" gaming.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]Rubbish, no one is talking about having the anything like the flexibility of the pc market.Simply talking about being able to upgrade every couple of years to stay current.Over the course of the lifecycle of the console you would have several standardized upgrades for game developers to consider and scale their games accordingly. It seems the PC's openness as variety of configurations is actually working against it in terms of game development, a less open but none the less upgradeable platform with standardized upgrades would solve this.[/citation]

That is the description of an OEM PC. You can always install Linux if you insist on less flexibility.

Cormag

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Honestly, I just want them to add keyboard and mouse support to consoles...then I would be happy to play on them. Those button limited, ergonomically challenged controllers are the main reason I still game on my pc.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]daglesj[/nom]Maybe but current figures for 3D movie attendance and sales of 3DTVs have gone down the toilet which once again proves that 3D (until there is a major quantum leap in technology) is once again pushed back into the gimmick closet for another 20 years.It will either have been part of the nextgen 360's spec since inception or will have been dropped. I dont think its a deal breaker for the public at large. I think there are greater and more useful features to concentrate on.[/citation]

3D means cutting your FPS in half... We are talking about consoles here, there is no room to cut the little performance that they have in half.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]Cormag[/nom]Honestly, I just want them to add keyboard and mouse support to consoles...then I would be happy to play on them. Those button limited, ergonomically challenged controllers are the main reason I still game on my pc.[/citation]

They will.

CSS:GO is coming out on PC, Mac and PS3 with cross platform playing. If you have a PS3, you will need a mouse+KB combo.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]In some ways even though most of us hate 3D gaming it might be that as the industry seem intent on pushing it that this will lead to the consoles needing more performance.I'm sure they will have to be 1080P minimum for the next gen and if they are hoping to throw out higher frame rate for 3d gaming then that will require some more serous hardware.[/citation]

Or some serious dumbing down, what has history shown us so far?

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Well it better be superior to a 10-20 AMD Llano, because if its not it will be behind tablets by the time it is released, which will be the death of consoles if that were to happen.[/citation]

Ever heard about heat dissipation? The fulltower form factor isnt going anywhere.

My GPU uses 260+W, you will never see this in a tablet, ever.

holdingholder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
There will never be an upgradable console, nor should there be. It is a very bad business model and will not work. Can you imagine going into the Xbox section of your local game retailer and having to check every game to make sure you have the proper upgrades? Most people are not graphics whores like some of us are, and really don't have any problem with the way things look on consoles now. The percentage of people clamoring for some beastly graphical rig are such a small portion of consumers that trying to please them with some console with swappable parts would be counterproductive and alienate most consumers. I hate to say it but for a site with such smart people with such technical knowledge, you guys come up with some of the dumbest ideas.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Yeah it seems the core concept of the console and it being a 'controlled environment' to develop and support seems to escape some folks grasp.

Having to produce multiple versions of a game for the 'same' console..jeez!

Wont someone think of the parents!?

G

[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]Contrary to what you say I'd say no pc game is released without forums full of disgruntled customers having problems with multiple and various issues.Much of that is due to user ignorance, poorly set up systems and the huge variety of hardware OS and software configurations that are out there.[/citation]

Agree.

[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]But you must consider that video gaming has now become mainstream...[/citation]

If you mean mainstream as in, Angry Birds and Farmville... ok but those aren't considered video games around here.

[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]the gaming market, including the pc gaming market, is no longer populated by computer geeks that know how to do things correctly.[/citation]

Huh? Where did the geeks go? You must be trying to say the Angry Birds and Farmville fans have since become computer savvy and may populate in numbers higher than the computer geeks?

[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]Many come to the pc for the superior graphics it offers with little knowledge of computing and this is going to continue to increase as higher level graphics is finding its way into budget level pc's.[/citation]

Actually, I think most people "come to the pc" to type words, communicate and print stuff on paper. Only after pop-up ads, spam, television comercials, store ads, and general advertising do they realize "somebody" makes games for it.

[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]It seems to me that as there would be no way to standardize the pc environment[/citation]

I'd say its pretty well standardized... at least as well as could be expected. There's always room for improvement. Things like directx, opengl, opencl, glide, html, C, C++, python, basic, binary, .jpg, .bmp, .wmv,www.*.xxx, .mkv... I think those are the means to the end as far as trying to standardize aspects of what may be accomplished by a personal computer.

[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]an upgradable console would be an ideal solution as game developers are increasingly not bothering with the pc due to the extended time they need to spend on QA because of system diversity and subsequent customer service problems.[/citation]

Couldn't disagree more. Let's take one aspect. Technical support's 800 number. It's free for your customers. You, however, end up paying quite a lot once those phone calls start going beyond a certain amount of minutes. It would be ridiculous. Did you open your console? What exactly did you touch? The green thingy with a cobweb? When facing the front of the unit, can you read to me the screenprinting on pcb, starting from the left-hand-upper-corner just directly below those grey and blue capacitors? What? Huh? Could anyone get thru support calls in under an hour talking to the "typical" Angry Bird or Farmville fanatic? I don't know, I just see all kinds of wrong going on if they attempted upgradeable consoles.

Take a look at your xbox and xbox 360. What component(s) if any, would you want from the 1st to the 2nd? You could salvage the plastic housing, and the remote. Electronics wear out. Solder joints wear out. If you buy a console and like it, great. Everything in this world nowadays is not built to last. They are designed to last a certain period of time, but generally not too long after that. Imagine the economy and world we'd live in if nothing ever broke or needed replacing. Some estimates say we'd (the U.S.) would be a 3rd world country within a decade. Anyway, back to the point. Nobody realistically expects a console to last 10 years. Your game discs will, but not the hardware.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]Rage is a prime example but no I wasn't referring only to that. Contrary to what you say I'd say no pc game is released without forums full of disgruntled customers having problems with multiple and various issues.Much of that is due to user ignorance, poorly set up systems and the huge variety of hardware OS and software configurations that are out there.But you must consider that video gaming has now become mainstream, the gaming market, including the pc gaming market, is no longer populated by computer geeks that know how to do things correctly. Many come to the pc for the superior graphics it offers with little knowledge of computing and this is going to continue to increase as higher level graphics is finding its way into budget level pc's. It seems to me that as there would be no way to standardize the pc environment that an upgradable console would be an ideal solution as game developers are increasingly not bothering with the pc due to the extended time they need to spend on QA because of system diversity and subsequent customer service problems.[/citation]
Let me translate
Consoles are for fucktards with the tech knowledge of a slug, or Mac owners
PCs are for gamers with either intelligence, or the patience and ability to learn
Is that about right?

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
I think the pc gaming community has changed. There are many people relatively new to it that are not particularly computer savy and I in fact class myself as one. Having caught the gaming bug playing the original halo on original xbox and going on to build my first pc by going through magazine adverts to see which bits went together...lol

My point being that the times when most gamers were computer savy individuals playing counterstrike have gone.

This is sadly where pc gaming falls down, developers are spending less time doing QA on the pc release in favour of the console versions and as a consequence it simply does not work out of the box for all the reasons I previously highlighted. Compounding this the new crop of pc gamers aren't savy enough to deal with it.

You may say "well just get a console".....but really I don't want to use outdated technology.
I think the answer would be an upgradeable console. Not so that its life cycle could be increased but so that it could be kept relatively current in terms of hardware and yet its closed nature would enable proper QA and things just work out of the box.
Seriously this would be the answer to the static console hardware and the increasing ignored pc as a gaming platform.

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
PS if calling people "fucktards" makes you feel clever than carry on....you will only find yourself in an increasingly elitist and niche market that will ultimately be totally disregarded.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]I think the pc gaming community has changed. There are many people relatively new to it that are not particularly computer savy and I in fact class myself as one. Having caught the gaming bug playing the original halo on original xbox and going on to build my first pc by going through magazine adverts to see which bits went together...lolMy point being that the times when most gamers were computer savy individuals playing counterstrike have gone. This is sadly where pc gaming falls down, developers are spending less time doing QA on the pc release in favour of the console versions and as a consequence it simply does not work out of the box for all the reasons I previously highlighted. Compounding this the new crop of pc gamers aren't savy enough to deal with it. You may say "well just get a console".....but really I don't want to use outdated technology.I think the answer would be an upgradeable console. Not so that its life cycle could be increased but so that it could be kept relatively current in terms of hardware and yet its closed nature would enable proper QA and things just work out of the box.Seriously this would be the answer to the static console hardware and the increasing ignored pc as a gaming platform.[/citation]

First, dump all magazines that are in your possession. See the system builder marathon on this site or go to a forum. Just google OC forum and ask questions, stating that you are a noob is a plus.

There are still a lot of computer savy individual playing CS (if you dont know most commands by hearth, you are not savy enough). CS and CSS both get 60K simultaneous users every day and are still the 2 most popular games on Steam, well before CoD. :D

The correct term is hardcore gamer, or PC gaming master race. You choose.

Good luck with the built.

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Don't worry....I think I've progressed a bit since them....my current system is a Q6600 oced to 3.6GHz, sporting two GTX460's in sli oced to 820Mhz (using sli patch as mobo is not normally sli enabled) and a couple of ssd's in raid0.......so yeah I've learned a bit since my magazine advert days...lol

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Ahem.

You are not a hardcore gamer till you've had to adjust your autoexec.bat and config.sys files to get a certain game to run. Then configure them back again to get another.......

"Oh yes got 620K!"

Status
Not open for further replies.