Microsoft Stores Coming This Fall, Near Apple

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
This might not be as rediculouse as most people are assuming. Microsoft does have a very diverse set of products, much more so than Apple. Windows, Office, Xbox (consoles and games), Zunes, Mice/Keyboards, Web cams, ect... I don't know if these stores will have any success, but you have to admit its at least reasonable for Microsoft to think there COULD be some success, especially when you consider the success of Apple stores.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I would like to visit one as I carry in my Macbook Pro and just listen to their ploys to try and get me to switch, LOL Could be fun.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]when it comes to tech, you never go to the manufacture stores anyway (sony stores, apple ect) cause you will more than likely pay more, usually RRP.[/citation]

Obviously, lots of people do, otherwise those stores would not exist. Sometimes, the expertise (perceived) you get at those stores make it worth it.

This is MS' attempt to jab at Apple directly.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
the one thing I never understood about microsoft attacking mac is..microsoft still has almost 90% of the market, what's the point in attacking a company when you know for a fact you can release bad products *cough*me/vista*cough* and everybody will still use them because they have little choice? It's not like apple's gonna magically take 50% of the market overnight or something

I guess this is why i always hated the best buy/hp branded microsoft commercials selling windows over mac...well that and you know for the price they spent on the windows laptop you could still get much better for the money than what they end up with

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Hatecrime69[/nom]the one thing I never understood about microsoft attacking mac is..microsoft still has almost 90% of the market, what's the point in attacking a company when you know for a fact you can release bad products *cough*me/vista*cough* and everybody will still use them because they have little choice? It's not like apple's gonna magically take 50% of the market overnight or somethingI guess this is why i always hated the best buy/hp branded microsoft commercials selling windows over mac...well that and you know for the price they spent on the windows laptop you could still get much better for the money than what they end up with[/citation]
I bet if you asked the IE team, they would tell you that Firefox felt like it evolved over night.

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Microsoft could look mighty smug and get the better hand if they used this as an opportunity to 'enlighten' not harrass the uneducated or even the 'Apples'. if they give options, the consumer will be better for it, and make an informed decision.

This is ridiculous. It would be like Motel 6 opening next to all Hilton's because the rooms are cheaper.

People know the Apple's are much more expensive already. They buy Apples products because they like them.

I like Apples products. But because of price and features I am moving back to Microsoft. I have been using XP in tandem with OS X for years now. But Windows 7 really is drawing me back. Since my Pentium Dual Core, Radeon 4850, 1.5TB across three hard drives, 4GB of RAM cost less then a Mac Mini. Apple lost my vote when they abandoned the consumer desktop market, the low end PowerMac G4's and G5's were stretching it thin already.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I think its an interesting move and one that could play out well for them. They just need to not be as smug and act like they are better than everyone else like the apple people do.

it is abit of a stretch between the title and what was actually said. Being sensational with your articles isn't always the right way to go

G

Why would I need a Microsoft store? I can buy all the Microsoft products that I want at my local Best Buy.

Sure it may help from an image and branding perspective, but it is not the most pragmatic move.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]tt095637[/nom]Why would I need a Microsoft store? I can buy all the Microsoft products that I want at my local Best Buy.Sure it may help from an image and branding perspective, but it is not the most pragmatic move.[/citation]
you could say the same about the apple section in your local best buy

MotionMan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I wonder why Microsoft feels threatened by Apple?

All the work I do is on PC's (due to far greater support of 3D animation and motion capture on the PC) however I constantly find myself wishing that Windows OS's featured more elegant User Interaction design. Haven't tried Win 7 yet but I constantly marvel over how many person-hours Microsoft causes their users to waste per day. When I do a Disk Cleanup WHY am I even offered the option of compressing the files on my hard drive (very first thing I 'fix' when installing a new OS).

I get the feeling that most users 'put up with' Windows OS's but enjoy Apple OS's.

I have to say I feel sorry for the non-technically inclined when they run into problems with system functionallity (if they don't have a tech smart friend or adviser to work with). Some of the things I've had to fix in my 24 years of using Microsoft operating systems have been an immense challenge to deal with - taking hours of searching on the web plus hours of experimentation. Ultimately the answer often comes down to reinstalling the OS once a year... It just doesn't do a good job of policing or fixing itself.

From a gadget standpoint here's a case in point. Just switched from using a Windows Mobile based Smart Phone to using an IPhone. Windows Mobile is just plain lame. Darn thing kept wanting to sync every 5 minutes when plugged into USB (to charge). Windows mobile is an abomination IMHO and barely usable.

The IPhone is a complete joy to work with - I'm continually impressed with how well designed the UI is - I find myself constantly telling friends 'Did I tell you I love my IPhone?

If Microsoft wants to 'beat Apple' just like they want to 'beat' everyone else - they really need to look at their OS design and stop trying to throw money at marketing to try and 'win the war'.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]I would like to visit one as I carry in my Macbook Pro and just listen to their ploys to try and get me to switch, LOL Could be fun.[/citation]You obviously don't know your craptop can run Windows too.

Additionally, there was no word if Microsoft plans to import PC components and gadgets straight from China sweatshops to reduce cost as seen in this documentary concerning Wal-Mart.
Guess what moron, Apple hardware comes from China! Don't try and kid yourself that they don't pay employees with dirt!

Status
Not open for further replies.