Microsoft Sued Over Windows Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Did Israel just now get Windows XP released in a localised version, why the delay in filing a lawsuit? I doubt Microsoft knew of these patents (which, thankfully, isn't an excuse for patent violation), but to wait 8 years to file doens't make them sound very legitamate.

I'm also a little skepticle about an Israeli patent house. I work in the aerospace industry, and there's a lot of sentiment about less than reputable Israeli companies and stolen technology.

G

I wonder how many lawsuits microsoft has. If they aren't fpr patent infrigement, they are for monopolistic practices or for low quality products (XBOX 360 anyone?). This only tells us that Microsoft doesn't care about anything but money =)

Tomshardware please fix your web site because I keep getting "an error has ocurred" message when there is none.

G

I wonder how many lawsuits microsoft has. If they aren't fpr patent infrigement, they are for monopolistic practices or for low quality products (XBOX 360 anyone?). This only tells us that Microsoft doesn't care about anything but money =)

Tomshardware please fix your web site because I keep getting "an error has ocurred" message when there is none.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
High Damage, let me get this straight. The fact that Microsoft gets sued frequently means that Microsoft only cares about money? That's logical.

lire210

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]Why wait EIGHT YEARS to file suit?[/citation]
because they are having bad year because of the economy. it is a world wide problem.

hurbt

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Doubt this will go anywhere... at worst, MS will pay them off in a settlement.

And if hellwig (above) works "in the aerospace industry," then I'm a fricken astronaut.

hurbt

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Doubt this will go anywhere... at worst, MS will pay them off in a settlement.

And if hellwig (above) works "in the aerospace industry," then I'm a fricken astronaut.

lire210

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]Why wait EIGHT YEARS to file suit?[/citation]
because they are having bad year because of the economy. it is a world wide problem.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]hurbt[/nom]And if hellwig (above) works "in the aerospace industry," then I'm a fricken astronaut.[/citation]

That's a relief, I just assumed you were in the fast food industry.

w4ffles

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
"Method and apparatus for transmitting and displaying information between a remote network and a local computer."
Isn't that what the INTERNET is? I call bull**** on this one. It's another case of a worthless patent troll. What kind of technology has that Israeli company released based on that patent?

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]fuser[/nom]If you don't have a business plan the next best option is to sue Microsoft.[/citation]

Qft.

greenspoon

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I am pretty sure I have heard of this Backweb Technologies in patent lawsuits before. To my knowledge (which is limited) they are one of those companies that see something, patents it, and then tries to sue the users after the fact.

lukeiamyourfather

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Software patents were a horrible idea, this is exactly why. There's a bit of satisfaction though since Microsoft has been patent trolling with others like TomTom. What goes around, comes around.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
If I was that company I would disown Windows Update....it's a disaster, no wonder they make restore points before updating. Windows update reset my pc overnight without consent, killed some downloads and that's just plain annoying.

G

If they patented this technology, then they must have made a product using this technology right? I don't see anything anywhere stating that they've used this technology in an products of theirs. This looks to me like they patented the idea and waited to see who would try to make it first, then sue the hell out of them once they get into a tight spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.