Microsoft Suing Motorola Over Android Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
this IP stuff is so retarded, every device that connects to the internet can do that... so MS would have to sue everything... isnt something like this not even possible to be upheld anymore as IP? everything is using it LOL

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
Sounds like they know They can't take on Google so they will They one of the manufacturers. Lol good luck M$

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'm going to support Microsoft in this cause Motorola obviously doesn't support the Android community by DRMing it and making it so unfriendly to people who own their products. HTC FTW!

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
The patent system is patently broken with big companies patenting obvious ideas to prevent the competition product and others to patent an obvious idea to steal money from companies that actually make things. Two of the criteria for a patent to be awarded is that it should be a new idea and non obvious as far as I can see all of these patents fail the criteria.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
For guys pointing fingers at Microsoft, let me ask you this. Why is MSFT only suing Motorola? Why not sue HTC, Asus, Samsung and many other smartphone producers that run Android? This definitely sounds like Motorola is really doing something fishy.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]The patent system is patently broken with big companies patenting obvious ideas to prevent the competition product and others to patent an obvious idea to steal money from companies that actually make things. Two of the criteria for a patent to be awarded is that it should be a new idea and non obvious as far as I can see all of these patents fail the criteria.[/citation]

I am pretty sure that when they filed for the patent on these specific ideas, it was new. Most of them would have been patented when the internet was starting to expand.

I can understand suits. Most likley Motorola will settle out of court.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
"We have a responsibility to our customers, partners, and shareholders to safeguard the billions of dollars we invest each year in bringing innovative software products and services to market," Gutierrez said.
Hypocrites. Seriously though, Gutierrez says to safeguard billions of dollars M$ invests in bringing innovation but what he means is spending billions on programmers to steal from open source code, reverse-engineer other proprietary software and put a M$ license on it or purposely/knowingly infringe on other's patents to drive them out of market (i.e. .docx), then I guess you can say M$ is innovative...in being a$$holes.

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I can understand why MS isn't the most popular corporation. Hell, I'm more then aware of where most of their products come from. But, if you were to patent something, then someone else copied you and tried to make a profit, what would you do?

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
As a former technical patent examiner / PTO employee, I whole heartedly believe that software patents should never be awarded. I also know first hand that many patents are awarded based on the examiner's inability to invalidate the patent against some CFR due to time and/or productivity requirements rather than the patent's merit.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
"We have a responsibility to our customers, partners, and shareholders to safeguard the billions of dollars we invest each year in bringing innovative software products and services to market,"

funny. never saw these software techs actually working on windows.

nokz

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
If you can't compete....sue. Looks like MS took a play from the Apple playbook. Expect Apple to sue MS for using their game plans.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Remember - Microsoft only uses patents defensively. Somebody at Motorola must have insulted Balmer.[/citation]
Or perhaps Microsoft wants to use a few patents from Motorola. So Microsoft sues, both companies come to an agreement.

Anyway the software patents system is severely flawed.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Didn't Motorola build the Kins?
Didn't MS write the OS for the Kins?
Were the Kins not a mega-flop?
Perhaps MS is suing Motorola to make up for lost profits?

"How about we settle this lawsuit for... $240 million? BTW, did you know we lost $240 million on our Kin deal?"

js1882

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Why are they suing Motorola? They didn't make the Android OS. That's like someone suing Dell because of something in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.