Microsoft Surface Pro - opinions

Username101216

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014
I am considering getting this tablet and I saw that it did pretty well in games like BF4. For those who own it is it worth buying it (for the price I could buy a PC..)? Does it deliver playable FPS? (It's only 499$ at Microsoft and 512$ on Amazon.) How about storage? Can you add more storage?

clutchc

Distinguished
I owned a Surface Pro... for about a week. I hated it (and Win8.0) so much I drove 30 miles to return it. If you want to game, by all means get a desktop... large or small. Please. There's no comparison. If you need a tablet, get an iPad.

Username101216

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014

I like it because of it ease of mobility and you get the best of both worlds ( PC and Tablet). What was so wrong with it tho? Can you give more details?

clutchc

Distinguished
The Metro interface is useless for productivity... too difficult to get anything done with. And the screen was too tiny @ 1920x1080 for using the win desktop. I was forced to use the darn stylus just to click on an icon making the touchscreen useless. Highlighting text (cutting, pasting, moving) was a nightmare. Typing was a pain in the ass with the on-screen KB. Using the add-on KB just turned it back into a weak, slow laptop.

And the metro interface was not well thought out. More like playing with my phone than using a computer. Most of the things I easily accomplished with Win7, I had to hunt for where M$ decided to move it to in the new Metro/OS. Between the discomfort of using the tablet and the uncomfortable OS, it was just too much trouble.

Mostly it was Win8 that turned me sour on the Surface Pro. I'd say it was about 70% dislike of WIN8 and 30% dislike of the tablet itself. Here is Koroush Ghazis' (one of the better gaming/technology writers) feelings of Win8: http://www.tweakguides.com/Windows81_1.html
Pretty well sums up my thoughts.

I'm sure the Surface Pro has some redeeming value, just not for me. My daughter has a iPad I've used a little. Like going from a Yugo to an Audi.

Username101216

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014

Yeah well Win 8 is kinda weird. Well thanks for your opinion. I'll just get a PC then.