Microsoft to Further Unify Windows and Windows Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Hmm. If it means that windows 9 will be more like a phone than a computer, then: "Boo! Hiss!"

However, if it means that a decently powerful phone could replace small laptops or those damn tablets in most scenarios they would be useful, then I'm all for it.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
This is not gonna work. MS doesn't understand that PC and Phone do not have anything in common, two different devices in the nature therefore this is going be a big fail. MS will learn this hard way. They should focus on some common services and features which will help two platform to communicate between each other. Right now they suck in that area.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I still like the basic idea of running one application for ALL size devices - did not say "App". Like Dark said, if I can run full size applications on my phone, then good for me. Just because the interface on Win 8 sucks, that does not mean the interface on the application must suck. I've personally wrote applications that adapt to many devices with different sizes, different performance, different interfaces, different input devices. It's not that hard, like making a Web Form that runs on many different browsers, mobile and desktop - many different User Agents.
No plans to be a SDET.

runningnak3d

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
So let's see ... Zune failed because of the hideous effing interface. So, what does MS do? They make a phone with the same hideous effing interface. But wait, that isn't enough, they then had to go and put that hideous effing interface on their desktop OS. Both Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 are failing miserably, and what do they want to do? Make them more like each other. Brilliant. Someone f**king fire Ballmer already.

thefiend1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
The reason why Windows 8 sucks is because it is optimized for mobile (tablet, phones). If I wanted that I would just get a tablet - but I want a desktop... like Windows 7. Period. None of this touch screen tile bullcrap.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Hopefully...... this means that MS plans future Windows phones to be x86 based. That is something that I would like. A decent x86 based phone.... tablet and PC all in one. Intel or I guess AMD... has a long way to go though in terms of power/performance to make that dream real. The current crop of Atom processors leaves much to be desired.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
This is what I was expecting and hoping for, and the reason I want a Win 8 phone. I want a hand-held computer that is also a great phone and camera, that integrates seamlessly with my desktop system.

Android isn't really there, because it isn't developed like a real OS. I'm also excited about Ubuntu coming to the smart phone because Canonical knows how to make Linux user-friendly; Google isn't so good at that. Win 8 is intuitive. Ubuntu is intuitive. Android, not so much. In my opinion, of course. :)

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Hey, windows 7 was an huge sales hit, everyone loves it.
Hey, windows phone is irrelevant and managed to lose even the market share of CE.
Genius: let's make W7 more like Windows Phone!
Hey, something went wrong with previous genial idea, and now 8 has 1/4 of the market share of 7 at the same point even if aiming at more devices, and Phone 8 lose other market share!
Supergenius: let's make w8 more like Windows Phone!

Microsoft, what are you doing? SHTAP!!

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I do ask that you read my whole comment before you "dislike it".

Windows phone is great, you can't deny that it's fast, slick and simply "just works"(never thought I'd ever say that about windows lol). I can see why Microsoft want applications to work on your phone and PC, it'd make everything a lot easier. Being able to have everything synced would indeed be very nice and it'd remove the division. Android and I never clicked, it just reminds me of a linux distro that got smashed together with another two, but that is just my opinion.

Microsoft need to think a bit better though. Releasing surface and Apollo to only "some regions" is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. You either give it to the whole world, or you don't. Simple as that.

I don't want a touch screen on my desktop, Microsoft can go to hell. I want two 23" screens just as I have now. No touch rubbish. I want a simple keyboard and mouse. I'll be sticking to windows 7 for now.

Microsoft... you're so close to getting it right. But yet.. so far off

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
[citation][nom]runningnak3d[/nom]So let's see ... Zune failed because of the hideous effing interface. So, what does MS do? They make a phone with the same hideous effing interface. But wait, that isn't enough, they then had to go and put that hideous effing interface on their desktop OS. Both Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 are failing miserably, and what do they want to do? Make them more like each other. Brilliant. Someone f**king fire Ballmer already.[/citation]

Ummm where did you get the impression that Zune failed due to "the hideous effing interface"? Are you kidding me? The Zune interface was great--much better than the iPod's IMO. It failed largely because it was late to the game and iPod already had people locked into iTunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS