Microsoft to Reveal ''Woodstock'' at E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Why would people be paying for music in the past 14 years blows my mind away. If you want to support the artists, go to their shows or buy stuff directly from them (their websites) and get something physical in your hands that has some sort of value. Let the music labels and fat execs go screw themselves.

Therefore a new music service is irrelevant. There are 50,000 services already and half of them are free. These guys are basically trying to create no product and charge you for it.

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
They should cut music streaming to 5 bucks.....I pay 9.99 for netflix and I somehow feel that having access to movies and shows is a more value filled than music.....as great as music is, pandora does it for free via you net connection

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Good riddance to Zune! It's not as bad as iTunes, but it still blows.
Microsoft is also reportedly testing a "scan and match" feature similar to iTunes Match, allowing users to identify their existing music collection in the service.
This could be good too. I actually paid the $25 for an iTunes Match 1 year subscription (I know), only to be completely disappointed in the performance of the service (what a surprise). Let's hope M$ can make it work!

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Scan and match has found 5000 tracks without DRM. Would you like to scan the original receipt now, purchase these songs through the "Woodstock" application, delete the songs or be reported to the RIAA for a small $50000/track fine.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
The only thing that might convince me to use that kind of service is if it offers:
Lossless audio
Studio quality (96 KHz /192 KHz / 24-bit or however it was recorded).
Portable audio player with audiophile grade output.

Since nobody is going to bother doing this, I'll just keep downloading or buying CDs, and using FLAC format.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]Why would people be paying for music in the past 14 years blows my mind away. If you want to support the artists, go to their shows or buy stuff directly from them (their websites) and get something physical in your hands that has some sort of value. Let the music labels and fat execs go screw themselves.Therefore a new music service is irrelevant. There are 50,000 services already and half of them are free. These guys are basically trying to create no product and charge you for it.[/citation]

If you think the small artist can get decent enough gigs to get large sponsors and producers to back them, then you don't know the industry very well. The artists that actually make money on shows are the ones that fall into that crapton load that includes the "top 40" that are overplayed and that the sheep actually give a crap about seeing. The no-name ones "with actual talent" are the ones that end up broke doing roadshows and tours, so there is little incentive in doing it. Even when you do publish music, it costs tons of money to promote because advertising is just grossly over-expensive. There are few artists that stay popular anymore. If you're lucky, you might do 2-3 popular albums during your lifetime before people consider you a has-been. Producers don't give two shits about you because there are plenty of "artists" that they can put their money behind and promote until their popularity fades.

So yes, what little money smaller artists make does actually make a difference to them.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]waethorn[/nom]If you think the small artist can get decent enough gigs to get large sponsors and producers to back them, then you don't know the industry very well. The artists that actually make money on shows are the ones that fall into that crapton load that includes the "top 40" that are overplayed and that the sheep actually give a crap about seeing. The no-name ones "with actual talent" are the ones that end up broke doing roadshows and tours, so there is little incentive in doing it. Even when you do publish music, it costs tons of money to promote because advertising is just grossly over-expensive. There are few artists that stay popular anymore. If you're lucky, you might do 2-3 popular albums during your lifetime before people consider you a has-been. Producers don't give two shits about you because there are plenty of "artists" that they can put their money behind and promote until their popularity fades.So yes, what little money smaller artists make does actually make a difference to them.[/citation]

Even many of the small time bands in my area (and several others in other places that I've visited) can get shows together. If a band can't get any serious shows going at all, then either they are very unlucky, or they probably aren't too smart.

For example, just last year I went to a small show that had one and a half dozen or so local, small time bands. It was called A not So Silent Night. I'd never heard of all but one band and I only knew of that one because my sister played the electric guitar in it. If a band can't even manage something like this, then they should try harder.

Sure, what little money they make does make a difference, but they should be able to get at least small shows going every now and then.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
lol there's this e-tail store (like newegg) that's launched a music service here in my country. Songs can be downloaded for an average of $0.1904 according to current exchange rates. Not locked to devices or software, use the stuff as you like, not stupid DRM.

If microsoft does the same, it might beat itunes and their $1 per song.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Woodstock would be a cool name, if it weren't for the obvious trademark violation.

All I wish is for an android compatible mobile music store to be available in Canada.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]vergarazst7890[/nom]Si tu n'as pas fixé de date de portabilité, active ta ligne et tout se fera dans la foulée.[/citation]

translated quote from translate.google.com (evidently, it's French):

[citation][nom]vergarazst7890[/nom]If you did not set a date for portability, your active line and everything will be done right away.[/citation]

wtf???

Status
Not open for further replies.