Microsoft Unveils Windows 10 with New Smart Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I've been saying for sometime... Windows phone is disapearing, Microsoft is just going to make one OS for all platforms... x86 on tablets, smartphones, desktops, and laptops; good idea if you ask me. Some people love the idea of a seperate OS for smart-phones, but why? You can still make an app interface for it, but you can also still run good ol' x86 apps too. It's win-win. with the $100 Windows tablets available now; Microsoft is really pushing for the mobile environment.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
"Expanded Start menu."
So that now Metro crap would be right before the eyes )

"Apps that run in a window. They can be resized and moved around, and have title bars at the top allowing users to maximize, minimize and close with a click."
Innovations !!!

"A new quadrant layout allows up to four apps to be snapped on the same screen. Windows will also show other apps and programs running for additional snapping, and it will even make smart suggestions on filling available screen space with other open apps."
Thats nice, i've been using tiles on Linux for years and not only for 4 programms. But whats with the smart fill, it looks awful. What if i don't want to tile them up, what if i have more than 10 of them and it will show a horror to chose from? Think ms, think!

"New Task view button."
Not only it was done MUCH better on KDE but you also had this stuff in Windows as well.

"Multiple desktops."
I remember how MS was bashing this feature and said it was unneeded, only for geeks and so on.

"Open and collaborative development"
Translation: "We don't know what to do, at first our X1 strategy wasn't accepted by the public, W8 as well, please guide us"

prince_david

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
You know everyoen complaining about the damn start menu could have just downloaded ClassicShell. At my company, they put ClassicShell on every new windows 8 computer they got and it's now just like running Windows 7 but without the old bloat.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
4-window snapping and native desktop switching? I want it now...

On a serious note though, I think this is a nice compromise. Whether or not people want to agree, the start screen interface is a good option for tablets and isn't as bad as people claim, plus the "search" feature never went away, people just didn't bother using the countless other search methods (including a very easy Win key + start typing for what you want option...). Say what you want about the interface, but it has it's place and it doesn't need to go away completely, it just needs to be better optimized, which is what seems to have been done here.

delellod123

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I am happy to see this. With DX12 and the revert back to the windows I am comfortable with, I will switch from 7 to 10. Happy MS brought this look & start menu back.

jscheema

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Windows 7 Pro UI is where this needs to stop. It is clean, easy to use, customizable with 3rd party apps. Want to hear more about hardware compatibility, ability to configure BIOS from inside widows, plug-and-play capabilities with unusual hardware, for example changing a video card (disable video, replace video card, enable video), instead of having to reboot. It is almost 2015, why do we have to reboot our computers???

amgsoft

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
It looks like an ancient and ugly version of windows XP. Round corners has been replaced with rectangular ones. Big colored squares. What a shame compared to Windows 7. 13 years left and MS is presenting the same gui as something new with color schema of 256 colors like back in '90.

MS obsession with tiles and touch screens is something puzzling me. Is it desirable to use touch screen and tiles in business? Who is going to clean that mess up on the screen? When using multiple monitors you are sitting 3 foots away and can't reach the screen anyway. So why the tiles, MS, why? Tiles are for mobiles 1 foot away, not for 3 screens for business use. Business users aren't buying windows 8 tiles.

Why the goal having the same interface for all systems? The only achieved result is that nobody is happy.

MS has lost the connection to its users for the last 3-4 years.

After the windows 8 disaster, say welcome to a new windows XP with tiles.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Well, well... Win10??? That is innovative...
But in anyway win8.1 with start8 and modern mix or similar is very nice. Now we get these in native mode. I can definitely live with that.
It is interesting to see is Modern UI haters start saying that win8 bad, win9 good, win10 bad is just natural thing to happen :)
(where the good thing is that win9 never was released...)
All in all these should be reasonable upgrades to os that could as well be called win8.2.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Wow, copy and paste into the command PROMPT! OMG OMG OMG!!
Wait... Amiga did things like this since the 1980s.

Sticking the User's "icon" at the top?! OMG! Wait... that was Windows XP...
Showing more than one app at the same time on the same screen!?!

Why not call this Windows X?! Again Microsoft - you have ZERO talent, ZERO imagination, Some idiot came up with this crap "lets be so cool, we'll skip 9! forget how to count numbers! looking stupid is kewl!"

I grew up using PCs in the 80s when having 8 colorS and lower case characters WERE DAMN FEATURES! The blandness, ugliness that is metro (modern - or whatever the frack you want to call that UI turd that was designed and approved by brain-damaged monkeys) is not what I want to see on my monitor, much less PAY FOR IT!! My migration from Windows 7 to Linux will continue.

dirgle

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
So with Microsofts history of a good windows version followed by a bad windows version in a tic tok tempo, does this version jump mean we skipped the good windows version and went from a bad version to a bad version? Like WinME to Vista, skipping Win XP?

clueless77

Estimable
Jun 5, 2014
Is this still free for 8/8.1 users? I actually like the 8.1 UI and would like to keep it if possible rather than this odd hybrid UI, 8 UI on the other hand can stay out.

Status
Not open for further replies.