Microsoft Wants Infected PCs Booted Offline

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixbone

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
how are you supposed to download the necessary tools or do any kind of research to figure out how to manually remove the virus while being quarantined?

formin

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
its swine flu all over again. quarantine the infected!
computer security is higher then its ever been. with an auto-updating antivirus you are pretty safe for average PCs and sensitive servers shouldn't be connected to the internet anyways. blown outta proportion just like swine flu.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Imagine malware like Antivir Pro that would purposefully get your PC booted, and offer to unboot you if you called a 900 number or mailed cash to some address in Botswana. I'm still pissed off Windows 7 let that crap install and register itself as antivirus software, imagine if it got my whole account booted and I couldn't even connect to the Internet with another computer?

I think what we really need to do is license people to use the internet. Force people to learn about the dangers before we allow them to run-around willy nilly downloading every stupid wall-paper and poker program they come across. Seriously, the old adage is correct: "just when you make something idiot-proof, they build a better idiot". The idiocy of people is growing exponentially in the internet age.

My mother used to work at a small company. Their network kept getting infected with a virus, and they had to keep cleaning all the computers. The problem, it turned out, was that the owner of the company KEPT INSTALLING THE SAME VIRUS because she kept going back to the same website to re-install the same stupid application that got wiped-out when they cleaned the virus off her computer (it was some wallpaper or gaming app). The only thing that would have stopped this women would have been to take away her computer (and since she owned the company, good luck with that).

How about every time some spinster gets robbed of tens of thousands of dollars because of that nice man from Nigeria, or some innocent child gets solicited online by some pervert, all because they're too young/old, naive, and/or stupid to know there are dangerous people out there. If we licensed and educated these people, and set proper age limits for internet access (i.e. no kids under 14 without an adult), we could solve all these problems, and make the internet a better place for all of us. Instead, everyone is allowed access and we all suffer because of it.

bdonedge

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
There is no real way to do this without Microsoft making an assload of money off of it by requiring a program or patent to get on the internet or some ridiculous futuristic standards they make up.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Osama might want to flog PCs that try to infect other PCs & stone them if a married PC tries the same, but isn't that desirable? ;-)

ender wiggin

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
As I said earlier, wait ‘till the government decides that your political views are unhealthy to the current administration, and they have to power to knock you off the net…

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
[citation][nom]ender wiggin[/nom]As I said earlier, wait ‘till the government decides that your political views are unhealthy to the current administration, and they have to power to knock you off the net…[/citation]

I'm sure that if it was really that simple, they'd have rocket scientists do rocket science instead of RPG. ;-)

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
So they want to kick you off the internet and then have you disinfect your computer...

now how do i go about updating my virus definitions to do this with no internet connection...

dogofwars

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Already happen, the ISP that I have disconnect user that have virus on their system except not immediatly, there is an investigation first.

garyshome

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Let's see first that would put the programmers out of work that write this bad stuff, then the companies that pay them would not be able to sell the software they write to get rid of the software they pay someone else to write. Sounds like Washington to me.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hey i got a great idea for Microsucks, make an OS that is secured.

How instead of paying big CEO bonuses to some that doesn't deserve it or instead of investing useless anti-piracy. Pay to developer better security!!!!

If your Os is secured and not shoved down costumer's throats (vista junk). People might be interested in investing money in something that is secured . People might be ready to pay for QUALITY

Roten67

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]Novel idea. Now how do you effectively make it happen? Impossible, but interesting concept.[/citation]
[citation][nom]restatement3dofted[/nom]And how long do they think it'll be before someone figures out a way to write a virus that can get around the mechanism for booting the infected machine, so that it can continue to spread itself around as it pleases?[/citation]

Or Write a virus that manipulates the system so all computers are booted off the internet.. oh wait! thats why viruses are created for, to disrupt the network... BURN!

ender wiggin

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]So they want to kick you off the internet and then have you disinfect your computer...now how do i go about updating my virus definitions to do this with no internet connection...[/citation]

I am not saying it is simple at this time. But the article stated that the government will also have this power to disconnect "unhealthy devices". Barack has said he wants the power to shut down computers that pose a threat. This is not a statement about Barack, maybe you are fine with him having that power. But what about the next president, or the one after that, there is a huge potential for abuse of power. In the age of internet the power to banish someone from the internet is a powerful force.

ender wiggin

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]So they want to kick you off the internet and then have you disinfect your computer...now how do i go about updating my virus definitions to do this with no internet connection...[/citation]

Sorry I clicked on the wrong comment...

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Where are all these infected computers and how the heck are people getting them infected? I have been online for over 10 years strait and the worst thing any of my PC's ever got was some dumb malware and I have not had a problem with that since before 2005.

I for one am not going to have some antivirus program running all the time slowing my PC and checking if I meet some fools safty standards that if I dont meet for some reason Im going to be booted off the internet which I would probably need to fix the problem if there really was one.

File this idea in the trash bin.

leon2006

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
This is has a lot of legal issues in front of it. I for one don't like the idea that certain organization or companies can limit my access to the internet. This has 1st amendment ramifications.

This is not going to happen.

G

LOL

For each Infected PC Remove MS from the Internet for 1 year.
Problem solved. We will Never See MS and there crap ware again.

Status
Not open for further replies.