Microsoft: Xbox 360 Not Having Blu-ray is Good

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emlee0203

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
ps3 is better than the xbox 360 in terms of value (cost vs. hardware)...i have both the ps3 and the xbox 360. i have had no problems with either. (no rrod on the 360) they both actually cost about the same if you factor in the wifi adapter, hdd, and all the accesories you have to buy for 360...the only reasons i use the xbox 360? some of the games that i love aren't on the ps3, and since the 360 is somewhat more popular (at least in my area) most of my friends are on the 360. both the ps3 and the xbox 360 are amazing in their own ways...all of you fan boys, please fuck off.

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I was going to consider an XBox 360, until everyone i know (save 1) that has one, has had the RROD problem. Sony is hated and M$ is praised yet M$ has a shoddy console, expensive online play, and the lowest end version does not come with Wifi or a HDD.

Imagine if Sony's console had the failure rate of the 360, imagine the Xbox fans then haha.

Sony's Console was designed for a long life cycle, whereas the XBox is coming up on 5 years. It was only 4 between the Xbox and 360. How long can M$ hold out before Blu Ray becomes more the norm. As it is, I am starting to see alot more Blu Ray movies.

As far as Downloading movies; it is all well and good, but if you want high res with no artifacting or compression, then you will want a Blu Ray Player.

Also, I am pretty sure M$ would not be singing the same tune if HD-DVD had won over Blu Ray heh.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]ricdiculus[/nom]wow.gowIII 1080.mw2 1080.gt5 1080.deadspace 1080.ok not sure about mw2I quess ive got the magic ps3 that renders at hd resolution. And seems like them danged ole blurays play at 1080p. go figure[/citation]You've been had, sir. All the titles you've mentioned that have already been released, are upconverted from 720p or even lower. So internally these games are being rendered at 720p or less, just like the 360.

As for GT5? Who knows... when the final game comes out it might get downgraded to 720p like GOW III did.

emlee0203

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]tinmann[/nom]I am not a fanboy of either system. I've never owned a PS3 but I've owned 2 Xbox 360 and both experienced the infamous red rings of death. I fixed the first one 3 times before I laid it to rest and bought the second one which bricked on me after about 14 months. I repaired that one and it lasted about 3 month before finally croaking. Now the kids play the Nintendo Wii and they are happy and I have my PC games. I believe in playing free. Paying to play just seems fundamentally wrong.[/citation]
how did you take care of those 360's? i've had a 360 for over several years now and i've had no rrod or disc scratching...i guess it either comes down to how you take care of your stuff or luck maybe?

mx2138

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
because the HDDVD drive was such a great success? let alone their ridiculous 89$ price tag for the 60gb HDD. You can easily get 5 times the amount of memory for less than 89 dollars. fact. not opinion. your not going to spend 200 because you still have to buy games, live, HDD, headset. IMO, the arcade SKU is useless. Go with the Elite.

dogofwars

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
I like the arcade, it's mostly useful if you have 2 places or more.For exemple you just have to disconnect the drive and connect it on the other XBOX 360 if one of the TV is used by another family member.

A friend come to your house you have two XBOX 360, he/she bring their hard drive and you can play in network. You can go at your other residence/chalet or whatever and don't need to replug all, just the hard drive.

Now I have one Elite and one Arcade and I like the fact that I don't need to disconnect/replug all when I see my parent and they could use it if they wanted to.

dogofwars

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
The next gen of console is due in 2 years or so I suppose they could put a blu-ray then but now it will have to suffice. I can live with it.

wicko

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
[citation][nom]silky salamandr[/nom]Well last time i checked the ps3 games are rendered at a max 720p and NO UPCONVERT. It doesnt matter to the mainstream gamer if its fake resolution or real cause they dont know the difference anyway. Please try again..[/citation]
Sorry, but there a multitude of PS3 games that upconvert to 1080p, and some that can run at 1080p natively. Wipeout HD is an example of a 1080p game. FFXIII is an example of an upscaled 1080p game.

mx2138

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]dogofwars[/nom]I like the arcade, it's mostly useful if you have 2 places or more.For exemple you just have to disconnect the drive and connect it on the other XBOX 360 if one of the TV is used by another family member. A friend come to your house you have two XBOX 360, he/she bring their hard drive and you can play in network. You can go at your other residence/chalet or whatever and don't need to replug all, just the hard drive. Now I have one Elite and one Arcade and I like the fact that I don't need to disconnect/replug all when I see my parent and they could use it if they wanted to.[/citation]

case and point. you have to buy the HDD. now you see why its a useless.

wicko

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
[citation][nom]geminireaper[/nom]he is pointing out the fact that the xbox 360 sales blow away ps3. All you PS3 fanbois can run along now. and for the moron who said that 360 does not support 1080p think again. Just because it wont play a movie at 1080p does not mean the video games arent 1080p.[/citation]
So, North America is the only place that matters? In Worldwide sales, the difference is less than 6 million consoles, with 360 at 39 and PS3 at 33.5. Not too bad considering the 360 had a year headstart.

If you look at the average units per year, PS3 has ~10 million per year (33.5/3.33), and 360 has ~9 million per year (39/4.33). These are according to the sales total and release dates listed on their respective wikipedia entries. See how easily statistics can be manipulated?

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Yeah, what another MS moron... No HD for $200 is useless for the 360.

And comparing a compressed Rental over a 1080p Blu-Ray disc is a joke. What is a typical DL HD movie, 5~8GB? Compared that to a typical 20~25GB for a blu-Ray movie?

Oh, and if you actually buy an HD movie, its stored on a 60 or 120GB typical 360? Forget about the 20GB model... how do you back it up? SONY actually includes backup software for their consoles to SAVE your movies, media, etc!

With 3D movies coming out, especially AVATAR - the PS3 ends up being the BEST blu-ray player since an upcoming upgrade will ADD 3D support!

Also, even thou FF-XIII is on 3 DVDs (18GB), the videos scenes are more compressed and look like crap and some of the in-game texture/models have less details.

Todays prices : 360-120GB = $300 (still no wireless networking) vs $300 for a PS3 with 120GB. $50 more for 250GB model. Try putting in a $90 500GB drive into a 360... wait, MS doesn't allow that.

So as of this day, the 360 has no price advantage. Comes with a noisy cooler and noisy drive, doesn't do blu-ray, doesn't do wireless networking, not as upgradeable.

Funny is the Final Fantasy special bundle for the 360... ;)

* I don't own ANY playstation or nintendo or xbox consoles. But with less and less AA-title games for PC and MS insult to PC gamers (what good is DX11 without games, duh!) - I will be buying a Playstation 3 or 4 in the future.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
To me this is another article about Microsoft's push for pay-per-use model that utilized cloud access in order to get content.

Why own a physical disk when you can stream? Kindle and the "1984" error. How many times have we heard about license servers going down, preventing you from playing games you though you owned. There was a PS3 online access error. Ever own a product you no longer have access to because the company went belly up and the servers vanished? (I have.) Download Only Content (which may actually only be an unlock code) - which hurts the resale value of the item on the used market (or lending it to a friend).

I really do prefer to own a physical copy of my content and have the ability to access it only by use of the media I own. Yes, I am a dinosaur.

Final point - while companies who sell digital products that they want to protect from piracy by using the streaming/license server model are pushing for more bandwidth consumption, internet providers are pushing for higher bandwidth charges. Another reason that non-streamed media is nice... especially when they start charging you by bandwidth usage.

G

i upgraded my hard drive for my ps3 to a 500gb for least than $100. can u buy any hd for xbox? oh and all the games and movies are at 1080i. but a few 1080p are coming out.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
PC gaming FTW! The best part is I can use it as an HTPC in the future, and if Blu-Ray gets replaced by a new 5.25" drive of some sort, I can simply upgrade it - unless of course I have to upgrade my video card as well. Athough in today's market to enable Blu-Ray video on a PC, its only about $50. Blu-Ray drive (with included software for HD viewing) $80 + a $50 video card = a $130 Blu-Ray player that can also play games, chat with your girlfriend (she's online right now and you wouldn't believe what she's doing on cam for me), surf the net, and email grandma photos from my birthday - the kosher ones of course. No, she's not Jewish. It's an expression.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]...How many times have we heard about license servers going down, preventing you from playing games you though you owned. There was a PS3 online access error. Ever own a product you no longer have access to because the company went belly up and the servers vanished? (I have.)...[/citation]

Best post. I refuse to buy online digital media that is stored off site. It's scary enough entrusting private banks with my gold. By gold I mean worthless paper money and credits. It's funny that we all work for a "fake money" that is easily taken from us and intangible. This is a lot like our entire system. Just one more way we can give up true ownership and be owned by the man. We are debt slaves, slaves to our own complacency. I cry for America. Our founding fathers would be rolling in their graves.

Status
Not open for further replies.