Microsoft: Xbox 360 Not Having Blu-ray is Good

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
PS3 has always been the only true HD game console on this generetion of consoles. In the far, far... second place is the 360 which can only produce up to 720P (not true HD) if you ask anyone.

On top of that PS3 has always been way cheaper than the 360 because everything (on top of every component been superior) to
the 360, everything IS included, no hidding charges, no having to buy extra stuff to get things that are already included on PS3.

si7entsam

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
[citation][nom]geminireaper[/nom]he is pointing out the fact that the xbox 360 sales blow away ps3. All you PS3 fanbois can run along now. and for the moron who said that 360 does not support 1080p think again. Just because it wont play a movie at 1080p does not mean the video games arent 1080p.[/citation]
Uhhh last I checked all 360 games rendered at a max res of 720p and up convert...

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]si7entsam[/nom]Uhhh last I checked all 360 games rendered at a max res of 720p and up convert...[/citation]

Well last time i checked the ps3 games are rendered at a max 720p and NO UPCONVERT. It doesnt matter to the mainstream gamer if its fake resolution or real cause they dont know the difference anyway. Please try again..

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dogofwars[/nom]Oh and of course after a while they will get ban during the year and this will go on and on and on....[/citation]

the only truth is you spew more BS than the president LMAO

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Sorry i am not marketing the PS3, i am just stateing the facts about the Xbox360. You are not getting True High Definition through Streaming Netflix movies. And you are getting only about 20 percent of the movies that are available. I never once mentioned that the PS3 is a better gameing machine, they are the same as for gameing. I Simply stated that Streaming Video is a far cry from Bluray, if you believe otherwise go see an eye doctor. I don't care if you have a $ 2,500 Pc cause you want choices, you should beable to have choices and Microsoft shoould give them to you but they are not. What they are giving you is a watered down version and then comming online and telling you your getting the best when in fact you are not if your streaming video. Just the facts. I always get a kick out of all these die hard Xbox fans that can't handle the trueth.

blazeorangeman

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
This is amazingly arrogant of Microsoft (no surprise), but my only question then is why are all the Sony Playstation 3s sold out everywhere and there are a huge amount of XBoxes still on the shelf.

Granted somebody is going to rebuttal saying that it's other reasons behind the shortage of PS3s besides demand. I will have to calmly remind you then that not only does the PS3 have wifi built in, free online gaming for multiplayer, little to no issues with hardware (ala red ring of death), in addition to being one of the best Blu-ray players on the market.

Sony wins, come back next time if you'd like to play.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Sorry i am not marketing the PS3, i am just stateing the facts about the Xbox360. You are not getting True High Definition through Streaming Netflix movies. And you are getting only about 20 percent of the movies that are available. I never once mentioned that the PS3 is a better gameing machine, they are the same as for gameing. I Simply stated that Streaming Video is a far cry from Bluray, if you believe otherwise go see an eye doctor. I don't care if you have a $ 2,500 Pc cause you want choices, you should beable to have choices and Microsoft shoould give them to you but they are not. What they are giving you is a watered down version and then comming online and telling you your getting the best when in fact you are not if your streaming video. Just the facts. I always get a kick out of all these die hard Xbox fans that can't handle the trueth.[/citation]

You know there is the zune marketplace that you stream 1080p movies from but you dont cause you dont own an xbox. But you and other fanboys thumb down my comments cause the truth hurts in your words doesnt it. So please try again...

nonstoprobot

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
My first 3rd gen was a 360, only because I got an elite for $150. I sold it and bought the slim when it came out. #1 reason is because the projected cost overtime for XBL vs getting free online with PS3. #2 is Blu Ray, which look great coming from a PS3. The truth is the PS3 is the same in many ways to a 360, just a better overall value.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Check out the NPD numbers. But sony fanboys alway argue fact. Sony is getting their ass kicked. As a ps3 owner im worried cause it doesnt look good at all. Tell me what you gonna play when your done with GOW3? Kratos and GT5 are the only aces sony has to play till the end of the year. Thats if GT5 comes out this year.

Face it. Numbers dont lie. But fanboys will still argue. You have no more achelies heels that makes this machine without a doubt better. So just stop it or give me some numbers that are facts just not the way you feel. I can link you to everything I say, can you?

Fortunex

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]geminireaper[/nom]he is pointing out the fact that the xbox 360 sales blow away ps3. All you PS3 fanbois can run along now. and for the moron who said that 360 does not support 1080p think again. Just because it wont play a movie at 1080p does not mean the video games arent 1080p.[/citation]

The video games aren't 1080p either. Then again, less than 5% of the PS3's games are in 1080p as well.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Sorry i am not marketing the PS3, i am just stateing the facts about the Xbox360. You are not getting True High Definition through Streaming Netflix movies. And you are getting only about 20 percent of the movies that are available. I never once mentioned that the PS3 is a better gameing machine, they are the same as for gameing. I Simply stated that Streaming Video is a far cry from Bluray, if you believe otherwise go see an eye doctor. I don't care if you have a $ 2,500 Pc cause you want choices, you should beable to have choices and Microsoft shoould give them to you, but they are not. What they are giving you is a watered down version and then comming online and telling you your getting the best when in fact you are not if your streaming video. Just stateing the facts. I always get a kick out of all these die hard Xbox fans that can't handle the trueth, then they go and insert things that i didn't say. And last but not least the Xbox360 is not blowing out the PS3 in sales anymore, those days are over. And if you read Toms hardware on a regular basis you will see the Artical in which they have already stated that the PS3 will win the Console war again. But again that was not my point, my point was Steaming Video is not HD and your gettting a watered down version of movies on your Xbox360. It has nothing to do with the system cababilitys, it has to do with the Morons at Microsoft. Ok Xbox fanboys what else are you going to falsely acuse me of ????????

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]But again that was not my point, my point was Steaming Video is not HD[/citation]I just love it when common-folk refer to it as steaming video. It's the best typo ever.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]PS3 has always been the only true HD game console on this generetion of consoles. In the far, far... second place is the 360 which can only produce up to 720P (not true HD) if you ask anyone. On top of that PS3 has always been way cheaper than the 360 because everything (on top of every component been superior) tothe 360, everything IS included, no hidding charges, no having to buy extra stuff to get things that are already included on PS3.[/citation]

For the billionth time....the Xbox 360 does NOT do 1080p in games or movies. Streaming video is NOT in 1080p. The PS3 supports blu ray, which allows for 1080p in movies. There are very, very few games available (ones that aren't very graphically detailed) on the PS3 that are rendered in 1080p.

Regardless....most of you fanboys arguing about 1080p can take a hike....most of you probably cannot even tell the difference between 1080p and 720p from your TV size and viewing distance:
http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I am not a fanboy of either system. I've never owned a PS3 but I've owned 2 Xbox 360 and both experienced the infamous red rings of death. I fixed the first one 3 times before I laid it to rest and bought the second one which bricked on me after about 14 months. I repaired that one and it lasted about 3 month before finally croaking. Now the kids play the Nintendo Wii and they are happy and I have my PC games. I believe in playing free. Paying to play just seems fundamentally wrong.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Well last time i checked the ps3 games are rendered at a max 720p and NO UPCONVERT.
wow.
gowIII 1080.
mw2 1080.
gt5 1080.
deadspace 1080.
ok not sure about mw2
I quess ive got the magic ps3 that renders at hd resolution. And seems like them danged ole blurays play at 1080p. go figure

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]$199 starting price. True , but you have to buy a hardrive which is a 100 plus dollars and the controllers are 10 dollars cheaper but you have to buy the $20 play and charge kit. I'm not even going to go into the wifi adaptor. But the 360 is ALL hidden fees.[/citation]You don't need a $100+ HDD. If you need a HD, the smaller ones work fine and can be had for cheap. As for batteries, I kind of like the flexible options. Charge and play, or a quick-charge station (very fast to swap out battery packs, and no wires needed to tether you to the console while you charge), or just use AAs. I kind of like sticking to AAs because then you can use whatever rechargeable AAs you want (or non-rechargeables, in a pinch). Such as newer model ULSD NiMHs like Sanyo's Eneloops or Rayovac's Hybrid batteries. Plus then you can use those same batteries in your wireless guitar controller.

The wifi issue is stupid, but on the other hand it allowed them to use Wireless G, and release a Wireless N adapter once they finalized that standard. In some houses, wireless G doesn't always cut the mustard. Of course, I don't really care for wifi period for gaming, and try to go wired whenever possible. But I understand that is not always convenient.

Anyway, the biggest culprit for extra costs might be the Wii. Every time you turn around there's some new accessory or doohickey. Wiimotes, classic controllers, nunchuks, motion plus, racing wheels, wii fit, various sports accessories, etc.

Judguh

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Ironically, Microsoft's $199 version of the Xbox 360 doesn't come with the accessory that is needed most for the company's bet on digital distribution – a hard disk drive.

Not unless you're using it as a Media Center Extender. I know a lot of people who use it just for that and it works and looks awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.