Microsoft's Zune HD Dead Again, Maybe for Good

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i started out not knowing anything about the Zune. After reading all these conflicting announcements, i still know not anything about the Zune, but now i'm totally confused. That's Microsoft way!

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]i started out not knowing anything about the Zune. After reading all these conflicting announcements, i still know not anything about the Zune, but now i'm totally confused. That's Microsoft way![/citation]
Zune is a media player and a service, much like the iPod/iTunes combination. It wasn't ever that popular, due to some strange MS decisions. Zune media only hardware is now dying, but the music service will remain. This may be happening to the iPod's relationship with iTunes as well, despite the generally superior success of the iPod...

Zune actually had some innovations. The 1st gen Zune was also super ugly, but functional.

Still the only legit device with an HD tuner. Wish I had ANY device with an HD tuner on it... Hopefully it will find its way into phones soon...

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Zune is a media player and a service, much like the iPod/iTunes combination. It wasn't ever that popular, due to some strange MS decisions. Zune media only hardware is now dying, but the music service will remain. This may be happening to the iPod's relationship with iTunes as well, despite the generally superior success of the iPod...Zune actually had some innovations. The 1st gen Zune was also super ugly, but functional.Still the only legit device with an HD tuner. Wish I had ANY device with an HD tuner on it... Hopefully it will find its way into phones soon...[/citation]

The fact that you have to explain this IS the problem. You don't have to tell anyone WHAT an iPod/iTunes is.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]The fact that you have to explain this IS the problem. You don't have to tell anyone WHAT an iPod/iTunes is.[/citation]
Well, iPods are going out of fashion, quick fast and in a hurry. I actually am finding myself explaining what an iPod is... iTunes, not so much... But yes, Microsoft's marketing was poor, and their hardware integration, at least early on, was quite pitiful, considering the fundamental advantage of the iTunes/iPod merger was that it generally 'seamlessly' connected with it, where early on, the Zune did not... I have heard that it improved with the Zune 120...

Zune had AMD-like advertising... Almost none...

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Well, iPods are going out of fashion, quick fast and in a hurry. I actually am finding myself explaining what an iPod is... iTunes, not so much... But yes, Microsoft's marketing was poor, and their hardware integration, at least early on, was quite pitiful, considering the fundamental advantage of the iTunes/iPod merger was that it generally 'seamlessly' connected with it, where early on, the Zune did not... I have heard that it improved with the Zune 120...Zune had AMD-like advertising... Almost none...[/citation]
Wow, where are you that someone doesn't know what an iPod is?

G

.__-_-_-__ : I still use mp3 player cause I'm a kid and can't afford a smartphone plan...

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Status
Not open for further replies.