Might have a Bitcoin Mining Virus on my PC! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billythakid1988

Estimable
Jun 3, 2014
Hi all, I'm wondering if anybody could help me please.

My P.C specs are as follows if needed:
Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 Mobo.
6 core AMD FX-6300 APU Black Edition clocked @ 4.0Ghz.
8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM.
MSI GTX 670 2GB DDR5 GPU, Core clocked @ 1070Mhz and Memory clocked @ 1700Mhz.
1GB HDD, 500GB HDD and 64GB SSD.
Windows 8.1 64Bit Pro.

I have been using MSI Afterburner 4.0 version to overclock my GPU upon start up of Windows. I've never had any trouble with the software in the past and my GPU has held up very well in Unigen Heaven tests and a recent play through of Alien: Isolation.

However, upon starting my P.C up today, I realised that the fan on it was making a loud noise. I checked MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z to find that even idleing on the Windows Desktop, the GPU Usage was fixed at 99%. The temps are not worrying, but obviously the fan has kicks in as a result of the Usage. Out of curiosity, I switched off my internet connection to find the GPU Usage drop down to 3%. I switched the internet connection back on and alas, 99% Usage. When I went into Task Manager to see what processes may be causing this, the processes appear to jumble around for a second and the GPU Usage falls down to around about the 3% ish mark again. Closing Task Manager brings the Usage back up to that 99% mark! A process called WDM (32 bit) is the only process that caught my eye, but this may well be a harmless function.

I can only imagine it is some kind of Virus causing this. I have run a Malware-Bytes scan, which removed a number of threats from my P.C, but is now showing it as clean. I then ran Windows Essentials, but this also shows my P.C as clean.

Does anybody know anything about this problem and does anybody have any advice? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Billy.

Billythakid1988

Estimable
Jun 3, 2014
Thanks for all of your answers guys.

I used Process Explorer to find that a process called 'WDM.exe' was running in the background. I didn't recognise it, so I closed it, only for it to reappear again. But for the interval in between closing it and it then reappearing, the GPU load would drop down to a more acceptable level. I realised that 'WDM.exe' must be the cause of the high GPU Load. So I opened up the containing folder and located it, subsequently attempting to delete it. I couldn't due to it being in use. Therefore, I stopped the process and then quickly deleted the executable file. It worked, so I restarted the P.C.

It seems that the 'WDM.exe' didn't pop u again and my GPU load has remained normal ever since. I played Alien: Isolation again yesterday for 2 hours and it worked flawlessly. Hopefully that should be the end of matters.

I've downloaded the programs in the link and run a few scans. Nothing adverse has come up, so hopefully that indicates that my P.C is clean.

Thanks again for all your help, I'll update you if anything changes. Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.