Missing From CES: 9 Vaporware Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]pozaks[/nom]You can explain most of these just by writing "iPad".[/citation]

I think that applies more to canceled products than vaporware/delayed products. The Notion Ink Adam has not changed spec-wise since its initial announcement way back when (Tegra/Windows 7 platform). The one big product I can think of that was canned dur primarily to the iPad was the Plastic Logic Que eReader. RIP... :(

-Devin

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]booker[/nom]This Google OS story NOT true. Chrome OS was announce on July 7, 2009, less than 18 months ago. Not "years" ago. And it has always been slated for release in late 2010/early 2011: http://www.pcworld.com/article/168 [...] me_os.html[/citation]

We included the bit on Chrome OS due to its tie-in with smartbook hardware. Both were highly touted at CES 2010 but nothing (Cr48 excluded) has come to market yet.

-Devin

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Ho0d1um[/nom]LG LCDI think your math might be off a little, or is that suppose to be 8.8lbs?[/citation]

Hah, supposed to be under nine pounds/4 kgs. Thanks for catching that!

G

Well, they've done a pre-order which was sold out, and Shravan the CEO also showed a production piece to Endgadget, Crunchgear and Slashgear. So this one's definitely out of the Vaporware cat!

Cheers,
Neel

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]iphadke[/nom]Well, they've done a pre-order which was sold out, and Shravan the CEO also showed a production piece to Endgadget, Crunchgear and Slashgear. So this one's definitely out of the Vaporware cat!Cheers,Neel[/citation]

We saw the tablet at CES, but we never drop the vaporware moniker until a consumer has one in their hot little hands. Believe me when I saw I am pumped for this tablet, though.

-Devin Connors

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
On the Skiff eReader, how do you let another company buy-out your software, and in the end, have no product to sell? I suppose it's similar to how Nokia uses Symbian OS, and Symbian just announced they were getting out of the OS business. Seems to me Nokia should have bought-out Symbian, and if Hearst really wanted a eReader, they should have bought-out Skiff.

I suppose it's like Dell, who would go belly-up if Microsoft just instantly stopped shipping Windows one day, but we aren't talking that kind of scale here.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I do agree that selling the software and letting the awesome, super-thin, super-bendy hardware languish. At that point, developing new eReader software would be easier since the much-harder-to-make hardware.

-Devin Connors

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]blackwidow_rsa[/nom]Shouldn't that be 2.6cm? 2.6mm sounds a bit unrealistic.[/citation]

Nope! I mean 2.6mm. 2.6cm would be over an inch thick, which nowadays is pretty hefty for an LED-LCD television.

-Devin Connors

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Err...you've got spam. You gotta compliment them for their dedication.

BTW, Adam was available for pre-order as well, until, apparently, they ran out of Adams.

Any heads up about the 'mystery feature' ?

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
"the Kno also packs 512 MB of memory, 16 or 32 GB of storage, and Ubuntu 9.10 a an operating system."

I can see where they might've hit a couple of snags, as Karmic was not the best choice for a consumer tablet by a long shot.

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]firemachine69[/nom]Does anyone else not give a damn about tablets?[/citation]
Pretty much anyone reading this particular website probably doesn't give a damn about tablets as a whole.

I know, for me, they're a neat concept that lacks a real distinct purpose in my life. Since I have a laptop, smartphone, iPod, and Kindle and there's not really a single thing that a tablet does significantly better, if I did get one I would probably just end up reading comics on it.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]lazymangaka[/nom]Pretty much anyone reading this particular website probably doesn't give a damn about tablets as a whole.I know, for me, they're a neat concept that lacks a real distinct purpose in my life. Since I have a laptop, smartphone, iPod, and Kindle and there's not really a single thing that a tablet does significantly better, if I did get one I would probably just end up reading comics on it.[/citation]
Tablets, like any other piece of hardware, will sell to those who have a gap to fill. If you're looking for a secondary computer, a device that recently would have been a netbook, then a tablet might be a better fit for some. Or if you travel a lot and don't want to hassle with a laptop of any sort while on the plane, a tablet with some decent horsepower is going to be a great HD video player.

-Devin Connors

Status
Not open for further replies.