Mitsubishi Demonstrates 4K2K Upscaling Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
With a ratio of 4.2667:1 the interpolation will not be super straight forward between current Full HD and this new Extreme HD. For video there had better be some serious hardware acceleration applied to this upconverting, I'm thinking CUDA or OpenCL with Nvidia or ATI hardware, maybe Toshiba's Spurs engine?

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
no, they can't add extra pixels. But, there is some very good hardware that is able to upgrade a signal to make it look better. Just like there are some TVs and receivers that can upgrade regular def TV to a 1080P signal and look good. It's not ever going to look as good as a proper resolution signal, but better than no algorithm at all.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
If you could make an algorithm that works like a human brain, you could upscale without problems. If you take a frame, upscale it raw and then fix it manually, you can near perfection. Software just needs to get up to AI level in order to do this as it's more a decision process.

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
@mac_angel: thats my point, their marketing team is trying to create the illusion that they have invented some new super algorithm. This is not the case, and its EXTREMELY likely that its just a variation of spline or lanczos algorithm.

@climber: No need for cuda or opencl, they have a custom hardware chip that does the upscaling. Cheaper, easier, and uses less power.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
I honestly want to know why they can not upscale it. I will be very upset if it is due to the DRM junk in it.
Please someone who knows why, please comment.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
I am allso interested in why BD-content can not be upscaled?
With really big white screen it could be usefull before real 4K2K.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]At 4K resolution, would even GF100 in quad-SLI be enough to run Crysis at max details with 16xAA/AF?[/citation]

no because i bet crysis does not even support that resolution :p :p :p

shadow187

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]At 4K resolution, would even GF100 in quad-SLI be enough to run Crysis at max details with 16xAA/AF?[/citation]

Silly willy, it's the HD5890 quad-crossfire.

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]Clearly they need to implement the algorithm used by the police and the CIA/FBI in bad movies: "Zoom in on that pixel... Digitally enhance. Look! In the reflection, apply a filter... Okay zoom in again on that licence-plate - enhance.... I can see a reflection of a face there - it must be the killer! Hey, I know that face..."[/citation]

Sadly, this is so true that it makes my head hurt. This the main reason i hate shows like CSI

blarneypete

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Isn't this higher defined than some peoples own eyesight?[/citation]
"Some" people - very broad statement. So people like Ray Charles?

G

I like big TVs, but how big must your TV be to really notice the higher resolution. 1080p is still enogh for big screens. isnt it? perhaps 4k2k is nice for a privat home cinema. ok. but for an plasma or lcd screen?! hmm..
Does more pixels mean more energie also?!

I wrote a an article about this post in german..
http://www.fullhdtvs.de/2010/nach-full-hd-1080p-kommt-jetzt-4k2k-upscaling-von-mitsubishi/

Status
Not open for further replies.